Lithium-Ion Batteries Submerged in Water ... how will they performed?

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Implemented
Came across this video (about 2 minutes long) on YouTube! from Workshop Addict on testing lithium-ion batteries and their ability to function after getting "submerged" in a bucket of water.  I am sure glad they did the test, instead of me destroying my own batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgZDYkZlUBI

Companies Tested: DeWalt, EGO, Greenworks, Stihl and Echo

Immediate Result: EGO, Greenworks & Stihl worked right out of the water bucket

After Drying Out Batteries: EGO, Stihl & DeWalt worked normally

This video was "not intended" to prove whether or not these batteries are "waterproof," but more or less, if rain water got on the batteries, how will they perform in a "slightly" wet condition.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I saw that a while back, a pretty good video!  It would have been cool if they tested them to "death", but I can understand there are politics with companies that likely need to be adhered to. :-)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I'm not sure I understand what you mean as far as politics goes, for I see nothing wrong with testing a tool until it breaks if you have the money to replace it and you need to replace it.

This test really does not mean a whole lot to me because in my mind, the first thing I would do if the batteries got soaked is I would get as much water out of them as I can without displacing the internals too much, then I would let them dry out, not plug them straight into a tool and potentially short something out.
(Edited)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for sharing this David.  We'd like to remind people "do not try this at home." :)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I know that this is not something that you would want to do, but I can see times when knowing your battery will survive can be wanted.  For example, with the chainsaw, I know it would be nice to know that if you have harsh conditions where you need to use your chainsaw, like a storm condition (not lightning) that a bit or perhaps a lot of rain is not going to stop you.  That is one of the arguments I have heard why gas is better than EGO.  I think this test shows it is not necessarily the case
Photo of Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson

• 60 Points
what about EGO 56volt battery under flood water for 3-4 days