Light Attachment

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Tool idea - tripod light

We just lost power for a few hour the morning and I went looking for all your flashlights
Notice my blower in the garage and thought that big battery would be great for powering a room type light!
Any plans for developing one?
Photo of Dale

Dale

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This is a great idea--Ryobi has a whole slew of lights (jobsite, lantern, flashlight), fans (blower, box), a vacuum, radio, and more.  Even a 2.0ah battery would probably be overkill for most gadgets like that, but an all-in-one emergency kit would be awesome in an extended power outage. 

We lost power for 2 days after an ice storm this winter, and even with the batteries in storage mode, they still would have powered the basics for a long time!  And anyone who lives in a hurricane area would probably love to have something like that.  Coincidentally, Ego's retail outlet Home Depot has one of the best hurricane response teams anywhere.

I would think you could easily combine a lantern, radio, fan and USB charger into a single compact device that clips on top of any Ego battery.  It would almost be dumb not to buy one if Ego priced it around $50.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Don't forget an AC power outlet as well! Being able to run a gas stove or furnace still requires being able to power the controls.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Makes sense—but it would have to be clearly labeled as low voltage only and have a shutoff protection so that plugging a high voltage device like a portable air conditioner or space heater into the AC outlet wouldn't hurt the device or battery.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I would buy 4 of them.
Photo of Not

Not

• 354 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes, most people with power tool systems would gladly buy a $50 all-in-one lantern, radio, fan, and USB charger. Maybe through in the air compressor, AC inverter, and shop vac as a $20 extra option...?

Actually, this reminds me: has anyone seen those portable jump starters on amazon that are the size of a cell phone? They also charge via USB and even higher volts for laptop. They're a new item from China and run about $50.I actually saw Wal-mart has started stocking one, but selling it for 2x the price, and it doesn't come with all the extra adaptors. The amazon ones have included adapters for every phone and laptop under the sun. Amazingly, they get GREAT reviews.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Great idea!  We'll be sure to keep track of this for the future.  We really love seeing all of the input and inventive ways to re-purpose our technology.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Just got an email from Home Depot about a competing brand's interchangeable tools that everyone needs for storm preparedness. I looked at the price for a few of these "tool-only" items that don't include a battery, and the three below are actually available together in a kit for $100.

I can't help but think how much Ego would absolutely DOMINATE this segment with a $100 all-in-one tool. A 4.0Ah battery would probably run this thing continuously for days. The 7.5Ah would probably go for over a week!

Hope the Ego design team is making good progress on bringing something like this to market soon!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
All in favor say "I".

I

As in "I'll buy it!!!"
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Aye!
Photo of Meatus Upkill

Meatus Upkill

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Aye aye
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I literally tripped over this looking for flashlights because we lost power in a severe storm:

By the way, is Ego taking pre-orders for the emergency station yet?
(Edited)
Photo of Dale

Dale

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Aye for sure. And let me know when I can order. We are getting deeper into hurricane season
I love EGO's battery packs a lot, and would invest in more tools, but they seem to only be interested in "yard tools" at this point.  So for my impact gun, it's a Bosch.  Ryobi seems to run the entire gamut, but EGO is all about lawns.  A flashlight sure would be a nice touch though, as long as it's a HIGH POWERED LED, not one of those little 5mm low-powered types, or even worse, incandescent.  A fan would be cool too.  A radio . . .  
Photo of Dave Nagy

Dave Nagy

• 304 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Rather than asking EGO to release a whole bunch of battery powered gadgets, (lights, radios, fans, USB chargers, etc.) it might make more sense for EGO to just release an "AC power station".  Such a device would accept any of the 56V batteries, and would provide one or more AC (120V in the US) outlets.  In other words, a DC-to-AC inverter.

With such a device, one would be able to plug in and run the lights, fans, changers, satellite receivers, computers, blenders, TVs, etc, that we already own, but be able to do it even when the power's out, or just when we're too far from an outlet to conveniently plug something in.  (Think: daiquiris on the beach)

The impressively large capacity battery packs that EGO is now selling, while fairly priced, are a substantial investment, and it would be fantastic to be able to use them as an emergency and/or portable power supply.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Sounds like a good idea!

The biggest drawback I can think of is that AC-powered devices are not normally designed to maximize efficiency of a finite power supply. Consumer demand has brought some marginal improvements, but AC devices are typically designed to optimize performance with only secondary concern about energy efficiency.
Photo of James Keller

James Keller

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm all about some kind of emergency back up for lights, fan or usb charging and I have 2 of the ryobi. I have a UPS for my pc and one night when the power went out I ended up connecting my fan to it as it was hot and my wife and I couldn't sleep. It would of been nice to use the 672 watts ego batteries I have. :/ I love my ego tools as I have 8 tools, I know its a new line of products I'm just eager to own more. :D
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

As severe weather season ramps up, just a friendly reminder that we're still patiently waiting for something like this from Ego.

Photo of Dean D

Dean D

• 492 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Aye aye
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Aye, I have not a doubt in my mind that I would buy stuff like that.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

My phone has been BLOWING UP today with emergency prep emails/texts from Home Depot and other retailers, and many manufacturers I have shopped with.

I'd say that chainsaws were the most heavily featured, and with all the headlines about gas stations running dry, Ego would really stand out among the competition. Unfortunately EVERY OTHER COMPANY has some other kind of emergency prep to feature along with chainsaws. Generators, radios, work lights, etc.

If the US hadn't gone a record long period without having any major hurricanes, I can't help but think what an obvious and glaring oversight this has been on Ego's part. In a few months the same thing will be happening with winter snowstorms, and Ego will still have the same big problem competing.

So... how is that emergency prep product development coming Ego?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

You can't deny that hurricanes are HUGE business. Stocks were down across the board today—with one major exception:
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,094 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
To your point David Cline, hurricanes are HUGE business "every single year."  Interesting though that Lowe's did not close on a positive trend - like Home Depot.

Photo of Steve Kotter

Steve Kotter

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How about a lantern attachment for the battery for power outages.

Light attachments for battery for use during power outages and be able to charge phones and a fan attachment too!! Great battery for both!!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.