Led mower lights will not turn off

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
The led headlights on my mower are stuck on. I've pressed the lights on/off button, tried holding it down and the lights stay on. I have to remove the battery after use. Putting the battery back in causes the lights to come back on.

Had anyone else seen this?
Photo of Gregory Tullo

Gregory Tullo

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Marc Blasko

Marc Blasko

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I know this is off topic but has anyone realized how many people around here that have problems with these lawn mowers nobody has problems with gas mowers you pull the cord you started up you cut the grass Once you turn it off change you I once in a while you're done these things seem to have a million problems and I for one am sick and tired of this piece of crap that I paid $400 for I could have bought a $100 lawn mower that ran on gas and replaced it every two years and still would have came out ahead
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

• 1,082 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
People with issues tend to reach out more than the people who have had no issues.  Go read reviews on Honda mowers they have issues too.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 6,546 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
We have had zero problems with our Egos (we have two, big place, plus the snow blower, etc.)

From our riders to our push, our gas mowers were an endless source of frustration every year, from clogged carburetors, fouled spark plugs, mice nesting in filters, chewing through wires, dead batteries every stinking year, gas stabilizer over winter or it gets skunky and clogs up.

And when you run out of gas (in the middle of a mow, always) you have deal with driving to the station (not close) and hauling stinky gas in your car. Now I walk across the yard to get a fresh batt and I'm mowing again in the time it takes to walk back.

Not to mention the pull cord took Hercules to get going with multiple tries. I'd be worn out before I started. Then our first push had no self-propel and we have hills. Mower weighed half what I did. So, we tried one with electric start and SP. Start switch died first season, and SP throttle stuck the second year.

With the Egos, I keep the batts charged up, hit the button and we're off, first try, every spring, every mow.

Gas mowers might run, but they take a ton of babying and fussing to do so. Really not sure why you are even trying to make the comparison?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 64,264 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Plenty of people have problems with gas mowers, just like they do with any other mechanical device. That's why three of my friends have now bought Ego mowers.

Just go to any forum for lawn mowers and you'll see questions and problems, just like you do here. That's why this forum exists: To give customers a place to go looking for advice and answers.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 3,604 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
If no one had any problems with gas mowers there would not be places to go fix them. EGO is guaranteed for 5 years.
Photo of Marc Blasko

Marc Blasko

I want my money back on this thing it's been nothing but a source of frustration since the first time I've used it, as far as a comparison to gas and Battery lawn mowers I have never had a instruction in a gas mower the told me to spray the inside of the mower with Pam cooking oil in order to get the grass to shoot out of the side. Had I had a simple gas mower for over 20 years started on the first pull every time it was no problem getting fuel as I got a container full when I purchased gas for my car. And as far as contacting ego I have never spoken to a live person when trying to contact them I always have to leave a message and wait for someone to call me back which is a lot of times an inopportune moment when I am not readily available to sit down and talk about the issues with my mower as far as the 5-year warranty goes there's no way in four more years that this mower is going to operate any different than it does now the grass does not come out to shoot in the back like it's supposed to there's not enough Force for it that put the grass into the grass catching bag as I'm concerned it's an all-around waste of $400 there's no there's no way I would recommend this product to anyone and I've told several friends of mine not to even consider getting a battery operated lawn mower may be 5 years from now it will be a better deal but right now I am going back to a gas mower
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 92,168 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks so much for making the same post for the 3rd time(or is it the 4th).  Trouble shooting help and advice has been offered to you here, so yes it is probably best for you to go back to gas.  Return it to HD for a refund - or if it is too late for that then it is a shame that it took you over 90 days to figure out that the mower does not work for you.

Every product is not for everyone - Use what makes you happy - Life is too short to spend time with things you do not enjoy.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,706 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
szwoopp beat me to it. Same ol' same ol' and many of us have offered help and advice but you continue to regurgitate the same nonsense. If you don't want to be helped, that's fine, but enough is enough already. Your posts are getting old. Get off the pot already and go do something about it instead of just complaining.
Photo of Marc Blasko

Marc Blasko

Not one of you have told me how to get my lawn mower to work properly none of you have told me anything that will be constructive in making a decision as if I should keep using this mower or go to a gas one all you have done is tell me about the extreme benefits you receive from using ego products I would have returned this thing within a couple days but ego wanted me to try the different blade which took weeks and weeks before they finally shipped it out tell me how I'm supposed to get the grass clippings to shoot out the back of the mower correctly tell me how I'm supposed to get the grass clippings to go in the bag properly I turn the mower on and I drive down my yard I don't do it any differently than any of you do it yet it does not work properly so someone tell me how this is supposed to work tell me why it works for you and doesn't work for me my grass is no different than anyone else's is green and it's 3 in tall
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Mark you are upset at spraying the underside of a mower. Gas has so much more maintenance to do with and storing problems with flammable hazardous gas. I’ve spilt gas in my car before getting it for the mower. If it has been a problem from the Beginning why didn’t you return it in the Beginning, because you were able to. To me your complaint makes no sense. It sounds like you want to complain just to complain. If you are not happy it is your fault you didn’t do anything about it.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 8,300 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
From the comments above, I assume everyone has already told you to remove the mulch plug? So you're only complaint is about bagging? Why do you want to bag anyway? It mulches fine and is better for your lawn. Or do you object to the little stripes of mulch that are momentarily visible until they sift down and decay? If so, not really a big deal in the great scheme of things, what with people living with catastrophes and cancer and everything else making real problems. Life is short, don't sweat the small stuff so much.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Marc, we have asked for photos and you have yet to provide them. Photos are very helpful in troubleshooting. So, yeah, we have asked. 
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

I made a suggestion to go to HD every HD is different some are better than others but someone that has a little experience looking at it with you might help see what we can’t. Pictures are the best we can do and not just one we need to see all angles as we can like we were there looking at it with you.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 69,164 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Not one of you have told me how to get my lawn mower to work properly none of you have told me anything that will be constructive in making a decision as if I should keep using this mower or go to a gas one all you have done is tell me about the extreme benefits you receive from using ego products.
That isn't true at all. In your other thread several of us have repeatedly asked you questions that you still have not answered, and we've given you suggestions that you did not respond to. You also said you were going to post photos of your mower so we could try to help solve your problem, but you haven't done that, either.

In the end, your claim that your mower's chute clogs within 15 feet when mowing 3-inch-tall grass just doesn't ring true. If we could see how you have your mower set up, we could probably help you. That would be much more beneficial to you than just complaining without taking any action.

I would have returned this thing within a couple days but ego wanted me to try the different blade which took weeks and weeks before they finally shipped it out
Now your posts are starting to conflict with each other. You say you would have returned the mower within "a couple of days" but Ego wanted you to try the high-lift blade. But in your other thread you said you've owned the mower since last year, so it's clearly more than a couple of days and outside the return period, and Ego just sent you the high-lift blade just two weeks ago, but now it took "weeks and weeks."

Please help clear up some of this confusion, and please post some photos of your mower and how you have it set up for bagging.

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

And, Marc. If you really and truly do want the help and do what we've asked please start a new thread instead of continuing to hijack this one. Or, resurrect one of your other threads and continue on there.
(Edited)
Photo of Woody Crandall

Woody Crandall

• 1,686 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Haven’t seen or heard of that issue. Suspect the light switch is broken and failed in the “on” position . If still under warranty, you can get it fixed. Just may take weeks for a simple fix. Or ignore it since the LEDs draw very little power and will have virtually no impact on battery runtime
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 8,300 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'm sorry, but sometimes we have to ask these questions: are you hitting the right button? I did have that problem and realized I was trying to push the "lights on" icon instead of the actual switch, which is located off to the side. I'm not too proud to admit it was a face palm moment for me.
Photo of Diana Snyder

Diana Snyder

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I think I may have that same problem.  I can't turn my light ON.  I'm in AZ where it is now beastly hot so I need to mow at dusk/night.  I still have half an acre to go!  I watched a couple YT videos that said to push the button in the middle but from your comment, that sounds like the "lights on" icon.   Where is the button on the side?
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 15,914 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Diana, watch this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/GR5dSzeW5BQ
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 16,070 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Marc, sorry you had problems; you're definitely not ready to be part of the cordless movement. Nothing is perfect, but EGO is working for those of us who understand how these products improve our world. I have replaced all of my gas tools and don't regret a single one and even own multiples of some to keep at more convenient locations to perform yard maintenance on front and backyard.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

I took mine to HD and they worked with me to fix the little issue I was having, some times another set of eyes helps. Just a suggestion that helped me.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,738 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
And, Gregory, sorry for all the hijacking of your thread. I'm done with Marc's drama.