leave batteries charging on the ego 3000 power station

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
I just got my ego power station and I thought I read this somewhere but I can't find it now can I just leave the batteries on the generator charging until I need them or should I disconnect the charger after it reaches full charged? Sorry about repeating I just couldn't find the answer again.
Photo of Kris Greenfield

Kris Greenfield

• 402 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of James Oliver

James Oliver

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would not. Just wanted top off before starting job. Recharge when unit stops. Recharge when done.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Kris, theoretically, it's fine to leave the batteries in, but out of habit, I removed them once charged. I have 5 batteries to rotate and use them year round, so they really don't stay idle very long. The recommendation is to partially charge a battery for long term storage at around 30%.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,890 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
And, you don't even have to partially charge them. If a battery has been in storage for 30 days or more, the batteries will automatically discharge to 30%. 
So, even if they are fully charged they will perform the self maintenance function to drop the charge level to 30%. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,412 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Kris, you would want to unplug the power station because you can't use it as an inverter when it's plugged in for charging.
Photo of Kris Greenfield

Kris Greenfield

• 402 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks all great input!
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would be a little concerned if I purchased the Power Station for, say, winter storm battery back-up (e.g. to run my oil-fired boiler, some lights, etc.) to replace my gasoline generator:  With the advice given, wouldn't I run the risk of the batteries only being at a 30% charge at the very time I need them?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,258 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Alan, you might be. It would be up to you to keep them charged for sure. If you're considering leaving the power station plugged in so the batteries would start charging again if they drop below 30%, EGO's charging system doesn't work that way. Once the battery is fully charged the charger shuts off and you can get it going again by removing the battery from the charger and place it back onto the charger. Or, unplug the charger and plug it back in.  
Definitely having charged batteries on hand is the best way I think.
Note that you might not need all 4 batteries to power whatever you'd want to power so you could get things going with 1 or 2 batteries and charge the remaining batteries on a rapid charger or something to add those to the power station once they are charged. Of course, this assumes you have other tools that came with batteries and chargers.
Photo of Alan

Alan

Mike:  Thanks for the quick response and good advice.

William E Hanson

Alan, I'm not an occasional user; all 5 of my EGO batteries are rotated and used year round. Once one is depleted, it's fully charged and placed back into rotation. That 30% status occurs if it sits idle for an extended period, probably for users with one tool that is a seasonal use like a mower. I have tools of several brand and are used year round; my yard keeps me busy.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,258 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
William, I apologize for doing this in public, but since there is no private messaging I have to use this method. Please allow some time to pass before you like something. Once you like something it can't be edited. I like to go back and edit my posts when I think of something else, need to fix a typo, etc. 
Again, I don't mean to call you out. Hope you will take it in the spirit intended. Sorry for any embarrassment. 

William E Hanson

Hey Mike, I worked for a Fortune 10 conglomerate; I have thick skin. No problem; I will try to be a bit slower.
Photo of Alan

Alan

LOL - Fortune 10 conglomerate = thick skin.  True enough...