Leaf Blower Blows Backwards

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Solved
I have found that my leaf blower (575cfm) blows things backwards if it's too close to the nozzle.  I think the air tube is not long enough and the tip options don't provide for forward blow.  I find that I have to blow everything twice, or very slowly, or bend down to get closer to the ground.  I would love to see longer tubes and new heads soon. It doesn't feel like this product was field tested (I have other EGO products that do work well).  
Photo of Nathaniel Young

Nathaniel Young

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Jeremy

Jeremy

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
If it blows backwards doesn't that mean it sucks?
Photo of Nathaniel Young

Nathaniel Young

No, when holding it in a normal position, about 10% of the air ends up blowing leaves and dirt behind me. Essentially the air coming out of the tip is not all directed forward, some is more directed down,and is diverted by the concrete or asphalt in a reverse direction.
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 4,408 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

starting close to the ground and the debris, but not close enough to lift excessive amounts of dust.

https://www.stihlusa.com/information/how-to-guides/safe-and-courteous-use-of-leaf-blowers/
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 29,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I really like the 575. It's the one I have. I probably don't use it above half power for most things. I can probably count on one hand the times I've needed full power. It seems technique is a big factor with the 575. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 158,214 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Making sure you are well behind any debris you are trying to move will go a long way to eliminating this issue. If the debris is close to you and you start with the blower pointing high before lowering it, this could result in moving debris towards you instead of away.

Have you tried using the flat nozzle included with the blower? I find it helps with clearing debris from hard surfaces. More focused horizontal flow over a wider area.
Photo of Nathaniel Young

Nathaniel Young

Thank you all for your suggestions.  These are all items that I have implemented into my use of the 575 in order to get good results.  I am using the flat nozzle, try to blow things from a distance, and get down lower and closer to the items when I need more blowing power. 

The purpose of the post was hopefully for EGO to look at their design process.  I'm not sure why their tube is shorter than other manufacturers.  My 20 year old plug in blower has a tube that is about a foot and a half longer and a 45 degree nozzle so that the air stream is close to parallel angle to the surface I want to blow.  EGO's blower seems to be designed either to not be used close to the ground or for someone who is about 4' tall.  As stated before, it seems that it was not field tested, or at least not very extensively. 

As an engineering, I'm curious if there is a reason for the shorter tube?  Is it to increase the air velocity as it exits? 

Hopefully they will come out with a longer tube so I don't have to hunch over to clear my drive an long sidewalk.  

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 65,078 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We'll share your experience with the product team today, Nathaniel. Thank you for posting!