Leaf Blower Battery

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Can someone please tell me how a replacement battery for the backpack leaf blower that's a little over a year old, costs almost the same amount of money as a brand new one?
Photo of Lon Novak

Lon Novak

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,548 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
A replacement battery is a brand new battery. What exactly are you asking?
Did your battery fail? If so, it has a 3 year warranty and you should call EGO CS and start a warranty claim with them. 
They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).
Photo of Lon Novak

Lon Novak

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mike
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 7,618 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
An item assembled of the individual parts will always cost more than the full package price...and like Mike said...you should be covered under your battery warranty 
(Edited)
Photo of J. G.

J. G.

• 1,894 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Lon -- While your battery IS currently under warranty, it will NOT be someday. At that point, your concern will be a valid one. The cost disparity will come into play. It is doubtful EGO is losing money on a NEW backpack leaf blower unit which includes a battery and charger. So, you are quite correct in asking why a new battery costs almost as much as a whole new unit with battery. It seems that after EGO has hooked us with a new unit, they can stick it to us with the cost of replacement batteries.

A backpack blower with 5.0 Ah battery and charger is 259 and a new battery is 249, while the blower with a 7.5 Ah battery and charger is 399 and a new battery is 349. A backpack blower tool ONLY is 149. Given the price of a backpack blower with a 7.5 Ah battery, a replacement battery should cost 250 minus the price of a charger (119 or 79). That brings a new battery cost well under 200.

I would like to understand the EGO pricing structure as well. Thank you for asking the question.
Photo of CANbike

CANbike

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It's very common in the cordless power tool world for the individual battery to be heavily marked up in price.

When needing a new battery, it's often cheapest, to wait for a promo to buy a kit and then sell the bare tools ;). Sometimes it's even cheaper to buy a kit just for the batteries alone!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,770 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Correct

And when you buy a kit of 4 hand tools and 2 batteries it is even cheaper.  Buying more than one item creates a discount. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,548 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yup. I had to replace a battery for my cordless drill and it was cheaper to buy a new drill with battery and charger than just buying a battery. I mean the entire kit was less than the price of just a battery. Wild.