LB6000 Backpack Blower zaps my gloved hand

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Shock from blower

I live in Canada and purchased the LB6000 backpack blower for snow removal about 6 weeks ago. Come spring/summer/fall it will see use as well, but the primary reason for purchase was snow clearing.

I've had an issue with the blower since new, while using the blower, and mostly when the blower kicks up a lot of airborne snow (mist), the trigger will zap my hand. It's an electric shock, sometimes quite the jolt too.

I didn't think much of it until yesterday, while the trigger was jolting me the blower stopped working all together. Tried installing a freshly charged battery, nothing, kept it inside to warm up overnight, nothing.

I called customer support this evening and the agent didn't sound too surprised by my experience of being zapped. I was told this blower "isn't really designed for snow removal", which is odd because the marketing material for this blower doesn't exactly advertise anywhere that it shouldn't be used for snow removal.

As the tool is still under warranty the agent processed a replacement unit to be shipped to me. I was told to use this tool bare hand to prevent any further jolts. This isn't really a solution for me, or anybody, who would use this tool to remove snow in cold temperatures. The agent said that some EGO customers have cut the palm out of a pair of gloves to wear while using this tool. That way your bare palm touches the tool as to prevent the electric shock.

I was wondering what the official stance from EGO is on this blower, should it be used to clear snow? If not, the information page for this product should clearly reflect this.

Does anybody here use an EGO blower to clear snow? Have you been jolted by the trigger? Has anybody made a custom palm missing glove for use with this tool?
Photo of Obysk

Obysk

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 36,344 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Ego does not recommend using the leaf blowers for snow as when snow is drawn in the intake port it can short the machine.  We blow snow at our own risk.

Some have reported using an anti-static wrist strap to enable the wearing of gloves.