Lawnmower handle locks pop out constantly- is there a fix for this?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Lawnmower handle locks pop out constantly. First the left side after about a dozen uses and now both sides. I have to stop and latch them every few passes now- is there a fix for this? I can't bear to duct tape my 500 dollar lawnmower.
Photo of James

James

• 352 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Roger Leahey

Roger Leahey

• 498 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Bless me Father , for I have sinned. I own a 20 year old Ryobi lead acid mower and I really like it. But since I have an acre to mow, I wanted a second mower as even with 2 battery packs, I could not do my whole lawn. After going crazy researching electric mowers, I purchased a double blade self propelled Honda gas mower. As the Hobda does not need an extra warrantee, it cost $180 less and there is no $250 battery to replace on a routine basis. I get the feeling that the EGO is not quite perfected yet. As for your EGO, as per the ancient Chinese proverb, I wish you "rots a ruck".
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good for you Roger, my Honda went to the dump after 4 years of use.  It's a heavy mower and probably one of the best push mowers.  But, you will have to maintain it, believe me!
I can't imagine mowing an entire acre with a little 20 - 21" mower!  I bet that takes a good 3 hours or more.  Dang.  Yeah, I don't think EGO had you in mind when they built this one.  Good luck with that petrol-polluter though.  
Photo of James

James

Thought I was talking to customer support
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Official Response

Call customer support.  They will have you fixed up in no time.  If it has been 90 days or less, go exchange it at Home Depot. 

I have no idea why Roger posted that.  It doesn't address your question

Photo of ashnazg

ashnazg

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Simple bandana is solving it for me ;-)
Photo of James

James

But doesn't that bandana pi$s you off after spending $500? It's just unacceptable.
(Edited)
Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
They will provide new clamps.  I have had them come loose a few times and yes, they should not have to be southern engineered, but I still love the EGO.  I was thinking one could also use a short bungee cord, perhaps, if one wanted a fix while waiting for replacement clamps.    
Photo of Karen Crosby

Karen Crosby

• 788 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I may wedge a piece of wood in as my clip is closed but one side slides down until it shuts mower off.  just tying the clip won't fix my problem. my yard is very bumpy, hard on this type of clamp I guess.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If you have the 20" mower, and it's an older one; you can use the pictures in this thread to determine if you have the original or improved clips:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/20-mower-handle-locking-clamp-v2-upgrade-review
With the new clips, you shouldn't have to jury rig anything as they lock with a resounding CLICK!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,900 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Check to see if one of the clip tabs arr broken off. The piece that inserts into the handle.
Photo of ashnazg

ashnazg

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Eh, a disappointment, sure... but I'm a bit of an early adopter anyway, so I'm accustomed to seeing most things as a beta tester ;-)
Photo of James

James

Guilty! I am a guinea pig.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mine does the same.  I tried "bending" the plastic a bit to retain the shape to clasp better and it seems to have helped.  I did this by "cupping" the clasp in the palm of my hand and squeezing a bit, trying to get it  into more of a "U" shape to grip better.

It's a bit of an annoyance, but not a big deal and it seems to be working for now.
(Edited)
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just read this thread with the same problem:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/handle-clip-keeps-popping-out

Customer Support replaced it with a clasp that works without any problem at all.  I suggest contacting them and doing the same.  I know I will.
Photo of Doug

Doug

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Are the replacement clamps the same?  

The clamps and side discharge are about the only thing wrong with this mower.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

My set of replacement clamps look the same, but haven't had the problem of unlocking like my previous set.  Maybe some very minor measurement differences and tolerances that cause it to snap in place better.
Photo of LOUIS

LOUIS

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Are their instructions on how to replace the clamps?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I've looked, but can't find the instructions that were emailed to me.  Maybe Jennifer can post a link.
Photo of LOUIS

LOUIS

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
That would be great. My clamp came with no instructions and I'm not mechanically enough to figure it out.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi everyone, we're sorry for the delay in our response.  Replacement instructions are available for the mower handle clamps.  We are happy to email them to anyone interested.  Please just send a request to support@egopowerplus.com and we'll get those over to you right away.  We certainly want you to get up and running as quickly as possible with your replacements.
Photo of James

James

The EGO handle fix is they send a new set of clips with the portion between the dotted lines v-notched. It works good and it might be something you'd like to try yourself with a triangular file or dremel tool instead of waiting for them to send a new set and throwing the old ones away. I kept my old ones just in case (left pic) The fix kit clamp they sent is on the right.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That's crazy that such a small modification seems to make such a big difference!

Perhaps crazier still is that I have the clips everyone is having problems with, and never once in the hundreds of times I've clamped and unclamped them have I had a single issue.  I was sure the design had changed at some point, but apparently not.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Honestly, it would be easy for anyone who is having the problem to just get a new set, it doesn't take long.  It is great that you posted the image showing the difference.  It helps an owner see if they have the updated clips.  Well done.
Photo of James

James

Just saying- why waste the time, postage and new clip set when you can fix this in 5 minutes without even disassembling it. All they are doing is notching the existing clips (unless they have come up with a new part by now).
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It really is an easy fix. I used an oscillating blade tool and literally had it fixed in less than 30sec. 
Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Good to know.  When I looked at the clips to think about whether they would be difficult to swap out or not, it didn't look like it would be real quick to change out.  My clips come loose now and then.  I might have to try your idea on my clips.  Thanks for sharing.
Photo of Ken Brunkalla

Ken Brunkalla

• 60 Points
I fixed mine and a neighbors in less than 2 minutes by notching with wood chisel...no more problems after that!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Seems like such a simple fix.
Photo of Randall Burch

Randall Burch

• 60 Points
I am having the problem with the lock on the telescoping aspect as well as the lock that holds the handle to the body and prevent it from moving up and down. The slightest bit of pressure from mowing on a slope or any upward/downward movement causes the handle to pop free and swing up. Is there a fix for this as well? Even duct tape can't help with this.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,518 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I would blow out/clean the area with the notches, behind where you push the lever in.  Sounds like it isn't pushing all of the way into the notch.  Do get a good "click" into place?  It gets very dirty behind the wheels of my mower, so I hit my mower with my air compressor after every cut.  Keeps everything clean.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.