Lawn striping kit for Ego mower - Checkmate lawn striper modification

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Anyone here knows what modification was done to get this Checkmate striper to fit the Ego mower?  Looks perfect!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZZHE0piIoU

Photo of incognito

incognito

• 546 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Shelby H

Shelby H

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I actually watched that same video about 4 months ago and it intrigued me to get the Checkmate striper on my Ego. I'm hoping to make a video on it sometime as I spent way too long trying to figure things out.

Basically, the only modification that you need to do is to make two cuts on each Checkmate mending plate. I used my Ryobi miter saw for the cuts and I believe I did 15 degree cuts (although I cannot remember for sure). I have used the mower about 8 times since attaching the striper and it has held up well :)! It's definitely a lot heavier now (as expected), but the self propel works just as well as it did before. During the process I took a few pictures, so I will attach them in hopes that they will help others.

***Please note that for some reason I cannot get my mower to stand up like the guy did in his video. I believe it has something to do with my bad cut on the first mending plate or my cuts may just be different compared to his. However, I can still fold down everything and attach the bag.

The cuts for the mending plates should look like the bottom one in this picture (the one above was trial and error and it was only my second time using a saw lol):

Although you should not need to take off the wheels on the mower to attach everything, it was easier for me to see everything:

And the final product:

The results (I had no lines what so ever on my lawn before... this is after following the same path during roughly 5+ mowing sessions):

Photo of incognito

incognito

• 546 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Awesome thanks so much.  is the reason you can't stand it dependent on which kit you bought?  Maybe his kit came with a longer mounting bracket?
Photo of Shelby H

Shelby H

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I had to double check mine to remember what the problem was... it appears that the brackets are just too thick (where they barely hit the plastic frame and screw heads for the rubber flap). I can set the mower up about a quarter of the way, and then the two things I mentioned get into the way of the brackets moving up. I purchased the universal kit and I believe all three kits have the same sized brackets (although I do not see any info on their website about the included hardware). So my guess is, maybe his Ego mower is slightly different than mine? If the brackets were a bit thinner then I think it would be able to stand up fine. Please let me know if you figure this out!