Lawn mower only runs with the handles in the forward position.

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • In Progress
Photo of Craig Campagna

Craig Campagna

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Craig, sorry, but could you either post a picture or better describe your problem.
Photo of Bill in Calgary

Bill in Calgary

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Craig, I'm imagining your handle is either too upright, or not extended fully.  Using the mower won't be safe.  Is this a new tool or has it worked properly in the past?
Photo of Craig Campagna

Craig Campagna

The lawn mower ran fine for a year and now it will only run with the handles in the below position.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 11,100 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
This sounds like a problem with the wires that go between the safety switch in the handle latch (or the bail bar / start button) and the main part of the lawn mower. I suspect there is a fracture in the wire that gets pushed together when the handles are forward.

But, do check that the clips for the extending handle are fully seated as that may be an alternate solution. (One of the clips has a safety switch that won't let the mower run if ti's not fully engaged / handles extended.)

If that doesn't fix it, you will probably have to get the lawnmower serviced. If you have only had it for a year it should be under warranty as long as you purchased it from an authorized reseller and have your receipt.
Photo of John Jermano

John Jermano

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I'm having the same problem as Craig (same mower model, purchased at Home Depot in Aug 2018). Mower ran fine before. Now it'll only start if handle is released and moved to an upright (vertical) position. Customer service seems to never answer - I've been on hold all morning. 

William E Hanson

I would hope the major rush is over or EGO would have addressed the long waits by adding customer service reps. If this dilemma continues, their reputation may suffer irreparable damage.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,550 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Not sure that busy season is over.
Per a customer service rep I talked to they did increase their staff over last year.

William E Hanson

szwoopp, good, but very apparently not enough with the number of complaints we've seen. Growing pains are hard to predict; excellent tools, but some are not happy with the long waits or no call backs. They're overwhelmed and it's having a negative impact. Personally, I haven't needed them, but do sympathize with those who has.
Photo of Craig Campagna

Craig Campagna

Thanks for the replies. Basically had to take out the relay at the bottom of the handles and electrical tape some wires to the bottom bar. It's not a good design for 3 total relays, too many little parts can get dislodged, especially with a lot plastic holding things together. Good luck everyone.
(Edited)
Photo of mike

mike

• 88 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hey man mine started doing the same thing a couple days ago. I’m waiting for customer service to call me back now. What exactly did u do for it to work normally? Any pix would help if possible. Thanks
Photo of Craig Campagna

Craig Campagna

Don't have pictures but this video should help. Did something similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCSNGlprevc
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 92,148 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Great video - thanks Craig.
Hoping for more and more of these type videos so fixing any problems becomes much easier.
Complete parts lists and diagrams from Ego would be a nice addition as well.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

• 5,586 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If the handle is not fully extended and the green clips engaged you will have problems.