Lawn mower motor busted, need a new one please

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

The motor has no model or serial number for me to look up to replace the motor. My lawn mower stopped working a couple weeks ago after running over hidden objects in thick tall grass. The blade was not damaged however the motor had quit working as it acted like it was ceasing. Upon deeper investigation of the motor, the inner wall of the magnetic part of the walls inside the motor had a piece broken off and was binding up the motor spindle part.  I kindly request some assistance on this matter, for I need a new motor please help me to find one so I can mow my lawn soon, thank you. its the 20 inch model of the mower, the 3300 rpm motor. Thank you
Photo of aj

aj

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi aj, it sounds like you are quite mechanically inclined! You've already done a lot more than most in disassembling the motor to diagnose the problem.

Unfortunately Ego does not sell non-user-serviceable parts directly to consumers, instead requiring that you go through an authorized repair facility. In the US, I believe all repairs must go through Home Depot, who will send it out to the nearest repair facility for the repairs.

I have not heard any reports back about the cost of repairs from others who have experienced similar damage, but I suspect that the repair cost is going to run dangerously close to the price of buying the bare 20" mower (without charger and battery). In fact, some Home Depot stores have run specials on the 20" kit for under $400, and I believe there was one report of a store selling them for around $300.

Even though you may be mechanically inclined and able to rebuild the motor yourself, I don't think you are going to be able to get the components anywhere yourself.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sign me up for a motor too. I wana build something.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Me too too! I'll buy a motor too! Just in case since I don't want to be in a crappie situation in the future with being forced to go through a terrible service that takes months to get my mower back and charges an arm and a leg!

21" Self-Propelled.

Please
Please

I've always been able to buy parts for all my other yard tools.
Just looking for good service.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,190 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nice find!
Photo of Julio Villanueva

Julio Villanueva

• 1,860 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I think the right thing to proceed would be get in touch with EGO and notify problem. Machines have 5 years warranty. I would advise for future events not to open machine. That fact could be used by manufacturer as an excuse to void warranty
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I agree it isn't a bad idea to contact Ego to verify, but the warranty isn't going to cover accidental damage. So most likely no harm in attempting the repair yourself if you know what you're doing. But most would probably just make things worse or injure themselves attempting this repair, which is why Ego isn't going to supply the parts directly to customers.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

If that were the case, why most of the world provides parts? I can go to any car dealership for parts, there are parts houses too. (hint : it's likely a size issue... read on)

More than likely the reason is a contract or agreement with Home Depot or other authorized repair shops... as it sends more work their way.

In EGOs defense, if this is the case, they likely did it in a negotiations to get them onboard. To get floor space at the stores, etc. All types of companies are vying for retail floor space.

Remember, it's the stores decision who to turn away or what products to limit on the floor, etc.

It would be good service as I mentioned, but it may not be that feasible with them (EGO) not having enough weight in the market.

They need premium space at the stores.
They need a national repair option.

Even if they could, thousands of contracts with smaller companies, wouldn't provide a consistent base, and storefront. There would be holes geographically. Most people shop at big stores, etc.

Just my thoughts and even though I would love parts availability and other options for repair... It likely may not come anytime soon.

So we need to be happy that there is an Ego with the products we have!!!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Keep in mind, gas engines, heck anyone can work on those, plcs and micro controllers. Not so many can work on those. I bet tesla wont sell you replacement motor controllers for their cars. Its a different world with electronics for parts. I understand why i cant buy a motor. I just want one.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Gas engines even have more dangers and electronics you can buy too. Modern cars are full of sensors, actuators, diagnostic codes, etc. Motors are all over cars. Linear and rotary most have at least 20 if you count them.

Plus, people can buy parts (even proprietary parts for PC and laptop.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,038 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Tesla might be a little different given the extremely high voltage of the battery and drive systems. There might be some sort of liability with regard to DIYers getting parts as only people trained in high voltage safety are certified to work on them? Just thinking out loud.

At 56v I don't think that would be an issue, and the battery pack is a user removable component. With the battery removed there is no threat of electrocution, short circuits etc.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Good point Blue!
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,908 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Aj, as mentioned already, we do not make the motors available as a replacement part.  Have you contacted our customer service team yet for help on repair/replacement?  They can point you in the right direction to send it out for service.
Photo of Doug Lake

Doug Lake

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
AJ-  EGo is unlikely to do anything for you.  I notified them twice that my lawn mower motor overheats and I would like to either replace the motor or have it replaced.  One of the reps said I was cutting the grass too short, but escalated my case after I nicely asked to talk to her supervisor.  That was the last I heard from them even after contacting them again prior to the warranty running out.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.