Lawn mower looks to be damaging batteries.

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

Used the lawn mower a few weeks ago and had no issues.  Charged up 4AH and 2AH hour battery and tried to use mower but it would not start with either battery.  Placed batteries in string trimmer and a co-worker's leaf blower and neither would start.  New replacement batteries were sent out and received. Tried 2AH in string trimmer and it worked fine. Fully charged 2AH and 4AH and placed 2AH in string trimmer and still worked.  Placed 4AH in lawn mower and it did not start.  Thought I heard small puff sound when I closed lever and pushed in key.  Placed 2AH in lawn mower and still did not start.  Placed 4AH in string trimmer and it did not start.  Placed 2AH back in string trimmer and now it won't start.  Suspect lawn mower is causing problem in batteries.  Original batteries showed no indication of problem on either quick charger or standard charger.  Power button is green when pressed and goes off after several seconds.  Contacted customer service and awaiting a call back just wanted to know if anyone else has seen this or a similar issue and what the potential causes might be.  Would love to see a failure analysis report on the battery and the mower once this is all said and done. 
Photo of Federico

Federico

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Wow, that definitely doesn't sound good! That's pretty scary if the mower is somehow shorting out the batteries!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes, please update this thread after troubleshooting with CS! It will be interesting to see what the root cause of this is. From what you've said so far, it seems you may be right suspecting the mower.
Oh no, sounds like the mower is shorting out your batteries.  What a supreme waste of Li-Ion cells!  Those things are expensive!  I would test the terminals in the mower for continuity between the positive and negative terminals.  If they show continuity, there's your problem.  Very dangerous if it is indeed causing shorts in the packs.  I would stop putting battery packs in there immediately!  Could start a fire or worse.  

I wonder, did you ever smell that "electric smoke" scent?  Or see any puffs of smoke?  DId the battery packs feel warm after you murdered them?  
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Federico! Thank you for your post and I also received your email. I am going to give you a call back today to assist you directly.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,628 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I sure would like to know about this one.  Sounds like a short of some sort.
Photo of Federico

Federico

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It has been a while and I do have an update.  I did end up getting a new mower sent to me related to this issue and everything has been working like a charm since.  From talking with customer service it sounds like this was an issue that has affected a handful of older mowers and the newer models have resolved the issue(do not know the exact nature of the problem).  Two observations I had on the new mower and operation are that it seems to kick into overload protection a bit quicker than the older mower and of the four metal slats ( -, T, D, + ), T is no longer occupied on the new mower.  It is just an open space.  
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,628 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Federico.  Interesting change in the terminals being used on the battery.  That makes two tools that now use 3 of the 4.  I would love to be a fly on the wall in their development office.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I'd bet it's nothing more than a cost savings effort. The blower I took apart had nothing connected to one terminal, so it was only there for cosmetic reasons.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.