Last 20 in. 56 V EGO LM2001 at Home Depot

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

My local HD store has the last LM2001 for $350, including the 4.0 Ah battery.  I know this is the first generation model. I have the option to purchase the new 21 SP or non-SP for $500 and $500, respectively.  For my lawn size, any of these models will be fine.  Having the SP feature, bigger battery,1 inch larger deck, and higher wattage are nice features to have but unnecessary in my situation due to my lawn size.  Also,  I don't leave my grass to overgrown before cutting so i think the LM2001 will be fine.

If purchase newest models, I'll have have to shell out another $150 or $250.  Based on your ownership of the LM2001 and my lawn size, would you recommend the newest models?  Unless there are other upgrades not advertised,  I'm inclined to choose LM2001.  

Thanks in advance of your feedback!
Photo of TN

TN

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of TN

TN

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I meant to state 21SP or Non-SP for $600 and $500, respectively.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

You pose a very tough question  :-(.  If I had a smaller lawn, fairly level with not much in the form of sticks, debris that falls from trees, I would try to find a 20" model cheap.  I've loved the 20" model because it is so light.

If you have a thick lawn that can sometimes bog down a gas mower, then I would say go with the 21".  It has a little more power and seems a bit more refined, heavier duty.

I hope this helps, at least a little. 

Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,124 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I think the 20" version should be fine for your needs. Plus, if you like to mulch mow this mower does a much better job than the newest 21" model. That's a great price too.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I've also noticed this.  My 20" mulches really well, good point.
Photo of Alec Mansfield

Alec Mansfield

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have a 20inch push Ego.  I really like it and I got it from HD at a reduced price because it was a demo and did not have all the parts. I was able to get the parts from Ego at a reasonable price. I am very happy with its overall performance.
Photo of Julio Villanueva

Julio Villanueva

• 1,860 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Does it still get warranty coverage for 5 years?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes, from date of sale.
Photo of Julio Villanueva

Julio Villanueva

• 1,860 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I would go for the 21" model just because of getting a bigger battery. A 4Ah one may not hold enough juice to finish your work. Will be way cheaper than later getting a bigger battery
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
TN, if you are absolutely sure the larger battery capacity will be of no benefit to you now or in the near future, the 20" model is the obvious choice. I'm well into my second season and the 20" mower has been working great.

As others have mentioned, if you have a very thick lawn and need to carefully regulate your pace to keep from overloading your mower, the more powerful 21" mowers would be the best way to go. I don't have a golf course quality lawn (yet!) and there are thicker spots where I have to slow down a bit to let the mower mulch effectively. I have not used the mower for bagging, but if you intend to bag I get the impression bagging is less work than mulching, so power may not be an issue.

How big is your yard? You might also consider that batteries do naturally lose capacity with time and use, so if the 4Ah 20"'kit is just enough to get your lawn done when new, there may come a point several years down the road where it no longer would. Having said that, I have not seen anyone here reporting reduced run times with their (properly functioning) batteries yet, though Ego's products are only in their third year on the market.

Food for thought. Remember also that if you buy any of Ego's other tools as kits, any and all batteries can be used in your mower. This might make other issues irrelevant.
Photo of Bill Gurley

Bill Gurley

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am on my third mowing season (in East TN) with my 20" model, and I absolutely love it.  I had used Black & Decker battery mowers before that, even though they were very frustrating to use.  This one behaves pretty much like a gas mower.

The previous comments about the battery life are certainly valid.  This is not an issue for me.  In addition to the mower, I have an EGO blower and 15" line trimmer.  So I have an additional 2.0 Ah battery.  When I'm mowing and the 4 Ah battery dies, I just put it on the charger and switch to the 2Ah battery to finish up.  No big deal.  I love the EGO concept of the interchangeable batteries.

In summary, I think you would be happy with the 20".  Then put that saved $150 toward the purchase of another EGO tool!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.