Just Bought It - Won't Turn On

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

I just bought this mower, took it out of the box, assembled and attached the bag, removed the discharge chute, plugged in the charger and connected the battery. After ~10 minutes the charger stopped flashing green and the charger fan turned off. I then took the battery inserted it into the mower, made sure the battery latch was closed and pressed the headlight button. The headlights and indicator light did not turn on.

Moreover, I followed your instructions for starting the mower (ensured side handles were above line and secured, ensured handle was in an operating position, ensured battery was in the slot and the latch was closed, pressed the key in and depressed the bale). The mower did not turn on.

Am I missing something? It seems as if the battery works (green light turns on when I press the button on the battery), but there is no power to the mower at all. Please reply. I can't believe I paid $500 for this, my grass is growing, and it simply doesn't work. This is just like the last electric mower I bought (greenworks).
Photo of Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Like I want my money and time back.

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Thank you for contacting us.  Please call our customer service line at 1-855-346-5656 Monday through Friday from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Saturday and Sunday from 10:00AM - 6:00PM) and we can help troubleshoot your mower starting issue.
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 496 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The first time I used the mower I had the same symptoms.  In my case is was because it's possible to have the battery almost-but-not-quite in the mower.  The mower requires a fairly firm shove to complete the connection between the battery and the mower, which should produce a very noticeable and solid "click" that requires pressing the release mechanism to remove (which is not something that happens with the charger; the battery just slides on and off of that with no click or release button).
Photo of Janice

Janice

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Just encountered the same problem. I have tried all of the same (locking handle, pushing battery in, etc.) and it still won't start. It started once, I started to take my first swipe at the lawn (flat; not slope), and it stopped. So disappointing!

Janice, we are sorry to hear that.  We might have some alternate ideas. Please call our customer service line at 1-855-346-5656 Monday through Friday from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Saturday and Sunday from 10:00AM - 6:00PM) and we can help troubleshoot your mower starting issue.
Photo of Janice

Janice

Jennifer, thanks for the reply. I called them and they concur that it is a problem with the battery and/or the battery charger. They are sending replacements ASAP. Disappointed and a little concerned about keeping the mower, but great customer service.
Photo of Marcia

Marcia

• 60 Points
I used the lawn mower one time.  This is my second attempt and it will not start either.  Too expensive a device for this to happen.
Photo of Dana

Dana

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
When you pull the bar back to start it, does it make a clicking noise? I ram into 2 that didn't click and didn't work.

Official Response
Here are a couple helpful ideas to try to troubleshoot for yourself before calling us.

1)    Does the battery display a green light when the indicator is pressed?

2)    Is the battery securely locked into place?

3)    Does the Mower headlight turn on when the light button is pressed? If not, check
again to make sure the battery is fully locked into place.

4)    Are the handles fully extended to display the black lines on either side of the
handle? If not, release the clasps and extend the handles the full distance.

5)    When starting the mower, be sure to depress the safety down before pulling
the bail handle.

6)    If all of the above doesn’t get you up and running, call the EGO Support Team at 1-866-346-5656 Monday through Friday from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Saturday and Sunday from 10:00AM - 6:00PM)

(Edited)
Photo of Janice

Janice

A question that the Customer Service Rep could not answer that may help all of us owners:

When you push the button on the top of the battery and the green light comes on, should it stay on?

Great question!  There are three scenarios we can look at.

• When the battery is not on the mower: If you push the fuel gauge on it, the light will illuminate for a few seconds to show you the charge level and then go off.  
  • When the battery is installed on the mower and the mower is turned on: The light on the battery will stay illuminated until you turn off the mower.  
  • When the battery is installed on the mower and the mower is off:  You can push the fuel gauge on the battery, the light will illuminate for a few seconds again to show you the charge level and then go off.
Photo of John Crespi

John Crespi

• 62 Points
Yes. Tried all those things. Mower worked last week no problem. This week one of the side rail clips came undone and mower stopped as it should. Fine. Repositioned rails and locked them. No start. Charged battery. No start. Went through all the trouble shooting including checking for something jamming blades. No start. Pretty disappointing. If I had read these reviews first I don't think I would have bought this. Like I said I ran this last week and it worked fine so it is not like I don't know how to start it. It just won't start.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
John, it looks like you replied to a post from last year, so I'm not sure I fully understand the context.

That said, if this was a recent purchase then you can probably exchange it at Home Depot or wherever you purchased it. If not, give customer service a call and they will take great care of you. If you haven't registered all of your equipment, make sure you have the serial numbers ready to give the rep when you call.
Photo of Dana

Dana

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Just bought the Ego lawn mower.  The demo in the store didn't start.  The one that I purchased didn't start.  They had one left and it did start.

The difference was when you pull the bar to start the mower a switch clicked.  On the two that didn't start there was no clicking noise.  On the one that works, if you don't push the key in it doesn't click. 

So no click means the switch mechanism is bad.

Is a click sound normal?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,144 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
My mower makes a click sound and it has always worked great for me. So i would assume that the ones that do not click had something wrong with the switch. Good observation.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,386 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Jacob, that clicking noise is you clicking the lock on your wallet, you don't have to unlock it to go buy gas  :)

My mower doesn't really click, that safety key basically just completes a circuit and there is nothing in that switch to "click".  The safety handle makes a tiny "tick" sound as I pull it back, now that is probably a switch.

Runs like a champ.  Very odd to get 2 defective ones in a row.  The packing of EGO products is pretty good, the box can take a few knocks, and the product inside is fine.

Photo of Judy Ferraiolo

Judy Ferraiolo

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I purchased my mower last July.  Used every week and was find but after using it about four times this year it now will not start.  I tried everything customer service asked of me.  No click no start.  Battery is fully charged and lights work when battery installed.  Ego does not have a service provider in my area.  They suggested several

repair shops but they will not come to me or pickup.  I don't drive and am a senior citizen.  I plan on getting an electric motor repair shop that will come to me just to get either a repair or a letter stating that it can't be repaired and having American Express reimburse me.  Ego needs to have shops that will come to you.  I went and purchased a rotary mower.  Need to keep my grass cut or will be fined $100 by my community

Photo of Thomas Marino

Thomas Marino

• 70 Points
Is there a diagram of the actual "switch" that is going bad in the EGO Mowers?  Is it up by the "bail handle", or is it in the arm(s) that have to extend all the way out?  I can't find ANYTHING on the actual problem or how it might be addressed and repaired..... There MUST be something that can be done with the old mowers that are failing to start simply based on this "mystery switch"...... WHERE is it?   WHAT is the actual problem?   PLEASE, someone, CLARIFY THIS for us all.  I'm quite certain it would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas, we'd be happy to help you with service on your mower.  However, as EGO, we cannot give instructions on how to repair the mower yourself as this is a "at your own risk" type of situation.  Perhaps some of our other members will chime in with specific instructions for you.  Please note that if you do decide to take your mower apart and repair yourself, you will be at risk of voiding your warranty.
Photo of Thomas Marino

Thomas Marino

• 70 Points
You misunderstand.... It's already been warrantied.  EGO stands behind what it sells, and for this, I'm very grateful and won't hesitate to buy more EGO products.  However, I now have an extra mower that could most likely be repaired, even though EGO can't supply the replacement switch for whatever supply constraints.  I'm simply looking for a diagram of the electrical circuit...... If it's possible to supply me with one, please let me know.  Again, the unit I'm working on is no longer under a warranty....that's not a concern for me.    Doc
Photo of James

James

• 62 Points
I just received my mower, and like some of you, doesn't work out of the box. After trouble shooting it with customer service, it has been narrowed down to a bad battery or charger as well. My charger would only run maybe about 10 seconds before it shut off and red-lined..Waiting on replacement parts..

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.