Just saw UK EGO product's packages with 6.0Ah batteries for 2018

• Idea
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Under Consideration
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Out of date

Just an interesting finding, I was browsing about EGO products and just saw the mower package offered with a 6.0Ah battery in UK for 2018 season! That would logically means a pack of 2 series 3,000mAh cells...finally!!! :)

https://www.gardenlines.co.uk/search/department/lawn-mowers/manufacturer/ego

Questions:  
1- Will we see them in the US also in 2018? 
2- Will there be a 1 series 3.0Ah pack and a 3 series 9.0Ah pack replacing the 2.5Ah and 7.5Ah packs? 

Would be nice! The high draw 3,000mAh 18650 have been out for a while (from all mainstream manufacturers I believe... LG, Samsung SDI, Panasonic...), and their max draw is now proven to be equal or near equal to the very reliable and durable 2,500mAh INRs. Suited for power tools applications. 

Extrapolating... a 9.0Ah in the brushless mower would probably returns a good 75min cut time, or would reduce your cycle count (vs a 7.4Ah) if your yard is small.. so longer life battery. And a good hour in fair snow with a pair of 9.0Ah in the snowblower :) I like it!!!

Don't forget to keep these big babies at 50% for extended shelf storage! They will be expensive toys you will not want to replace too often ;)  (by the way, will EGO finally add some sort of state of charge indicator on the batteries ;) )

Photo of Simon

Simon

• 544 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • happy, excited

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 44,000 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Interesting stuff, nice find!  6aH seems like a nice size.  Between the 5 and 7.5.  That would be ideal for a lot of tools.

It all comes down the the price point, the 7.5 is prohibitively expensive outside of being bundled with a tool.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 36,938 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 54,202 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The 6 ah was previously the 7.5 ah battery. Im 92.5%sure it's the same size. Not to rain on your parade. It was offered in the UK when the 2 and 4 ah were the current products.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Oh. What blue said below :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 133,812 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately, the 6 Ah battery is the same physical size as our 7.5 and uses 2000 mAh cells instead of 2500 mAh cells. Australia gets it as well.

As far as I know, Ego has not yet started using 3000 mAh cells in their packs. If/when they do, they’ll have a battery model number issue to deal with since multiple batteries will have the same capacity; the 5 Ah battery is BA2800 since it’s rated at 280 Wh. Perhaps the last digit can be moved up to 1 or something?
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 25,608 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If the 2.0AH is a 1P of 2000mA cells; the 2.5AH is a 1P of 2500mA cells; the 4.0AH is a 2P of 2000mA cells; the 5.0AH is a 2P of 2500mA cells; the 7.5AH is a 3P of 2500mA cells... then:

Shouldn't the new 6.0AH be a 2P of 3000mA cells?

What is the basis for the above statement that the 6 Ah uses the 2000 mAh cells?  Or are you saying the 6.0AH is a 3P of 2000mA cells?

ETA: Given the weight of the 6.0AH and 7.5AH are the same, looks like it's 3P of 2000mA cells; which I guess makes sense, but also doesn't make sense.  Would make sense if there was an abundance of 2000 mA cells available cheap; doesn't make sense since you're technically using older technology going from the 2500 to the 2000.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yep, 3P @ 2000 mAh.

I’m sure on a per-cell basis the 2000 mAh are much cheaper, and given their age they may even be cheaper per mAh than the newer 2500 mAh cells.

That’s just my own speculation, and I’m sure the bulk pricing these companies get has little to do with the retail cost of the cells if we were to buy them in small quantities.

From a performance perspective, a 3P pack of 2000 mAh cells may actually perform better than a 2P pack from a voltage drop under load standpoint. They may also be able to charge faster? There’s 50% more surface area to shed heat in the 3P pack and the load per cell is only 66%, so Ego doesn’t have to use their phase change cell wraps which also keeps costs down.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Blue is right like always
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 5,842 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You'll probably have to take out a second mortage on your house for a 9.0ah battery. The 7.5ah is already too much in price for most people.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Here’s the U.K. BA3360 product page:

https://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/b...
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 5,842 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I really wish EGO wouldn't call the button on the battery a "fuel guage"
Photo of Simon

Simon

!!! Blue Angel... you just know too much about EGO ;) 

I'll have to change my post mood to :( 

Ah well... I guess it (a 3,000mAh cell pack) will be one more thing to wait and hope for in a near future. 

Side note, do we have any spoiler on what (if any...) new product EGO would announce at the SALTEX in two weeks?   
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ego keep their cards close to their chest. We don’t usually get new product announcements until shortly before they become available.
Photo of Simon

Simon

Woahh!!!! I kept digging a bit on EGO batteries... Belgium will have a 23Ah backpack battery!! 

https://egopowerplus.be/collections/arrive-bientot/products/bax1300

Will we get that int he US? 

Hook that to a mower and you go go go mow mow mow all day long... LOL :) 
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 25,608 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Well what does this mean...  Integrated Fuel Gauge: Shows how much power is left in the battery.

eta: well read the updated manual which has the 6.0AH, but no new flashing pattern to indicate power left, just the standard RED is 15% or less.

https://egopowerplus.co.uk/sites/default/files/2017-08/EGO_5%20Model%20Battery%20Pack_manual-min_2.p...

(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.