Just got my pole saw and extension, but there are som limbs i can't reach. Can you use more than one extension at a time with the pole saw

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
pole saw ecxtensions
Photo of Tim

Tim

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,136 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Let us know! :-). Please?
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
That is unfortunately not something we'd recommend. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,648 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I thought I remembered a post about this, but can't find it.  My recollection is that it mechanically works, but is quite difficult to work with and thus likely dangerous.

And then I remember Amber posting that it is not recommended
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,452 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
From an engineering evaluation stand-point, there would be a couple factors to consider:
1) an additional 31" of length would make the unit a little more difficult to control2) additional parasitic (friction) losses would be negligible based on the sealed bearing design
My conclusion is that you could operate a pole saw with more than one 31" extension, but it would be highly dependent on operator skill to ensure the cutting operation was performed SAFELY.
With that said, I have operated my PH1400 head with both a EP7500 (31" extension) as well as with an additional 2-1/2' extension, and an attachment capable (Troy-Bilt) pole saw head.  I was mainly cutting over head since with that length of extension there was significant sag/droop in the pole sections.
https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/technical-review-ph1400-multi-tool-spline-drive-non-co...

First setup is 8-1/2 feet, second one is 11 feet.  Of course the really long setup is only useful in a nearly vertical usage, as the poles tend to sag quite a bit.

NOTE: Ego's official position is that only a single EP7500 31" extension should be used, no more!

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,604 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks (a)TE, I knew I saw those pictures and figured it was you, but just wasn't 100%.

How has your adapter been working/holding up ?
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,452 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It's working okay, but the brass shaft ended up being too soft, so I need to switch over to steel.