Just bought a trimmer and then got home and saw the videos for the new Multi-Head.

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
Just bought a trimmer and then got home and saw the videos for the new Multi-Head. I'm so happy and frestrated at the same time. I just spent a lot of money and trashed the boxx and now I find out the tool I really needed is right around the corner. Not sure what to do really.
Photo of Christopher

Christopher

• 642 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

• 2,864 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
If you have your HD reciept take it back. 
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,136 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
He trashed the box though so that is a no go. We handle returns but they need to be sellable. Was told the multihead is coming in May. I had the same dilemma. Ulti.ately I needed the trimmer and am happy with it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,590 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I was thinking the same. Thanks for filling us in, Beth.

How awesome is it to have an active forum member who happens to work for Home Depot!!! :-)
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

• 956 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I would try returning it anyway.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,962 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
My friends think I'm nuts for keeping boxes for a few weeks for anything pricey I buy, but this is the reason. Just last week I threw away the box for the TV I bought last summer. For Ego tools, I've been keeping the boxes for the duration of the return period, just in case.

That said, I have the 15-inch string trimmer and it's probably my favorite Ego tool. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

Also, have the prices of the multi-tool and attachments been announced yet? I suspect it will be much more expensive than the string trimmer, so cost may have weighed in to your decision, too.
Photo of Tony Hooker

Tony Hooker

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I suspect it will be much more expensive than the string trimmer, so cost may have weighed in to your decision, too.

That was my thought as well.

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,908 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Christopher, we’re sorry to hear you are frustrated. Please know that you can return or exchange your trimmer within 90 days of purchase if you are not happy.
(Edited)
Photo of Christopher

Christopher

Thanks...the trimmer was returned the next day to HD without drama. I'll be first in line when the Multi-Head is available.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,368 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Perhaps 2nd in line... we shall see... we shall see.
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

• 1,844 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Chris - HD has most amazing CS whether online or in store in contrast to Lowes which recently tightened up on returns. The lowes is much closer to me  than HD is but needless to say, I will be moving all my biz to HD.

Anyway the reason I am writing is even I was holding off on the rest of the EGO products, waiting for the  multi-tool; glad you were able to return yours.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I'm happy to hear you were able to return the trimmer. I hope the multi-tool meets your needs and expectations when it arrives. I know I'm looking forward to trying it out myself!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,492 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Like everyone else here, I look forward to putting the new "multi-heads" to the test.  Spring is quickly approaching, and I have plenty of jobs for this new tool ... :-)
(Edited)
Photo of Christopher

Christopher

well if the pricing is the same as in Europe then the kit should be around $750 US. https://egopowerplus.ie/collections/e...

But $160 for the straight edger attachment does seem pretty steep.
https://egopowerplus.ie/collections/e...
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The initial release of the kit in the US will not include the pole hedge trimmer or brush cutting blade, so the price should reflect that.

Also, pricing is usually market specific, so a conversion from Euros may not be accurate. :-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

The price on that link is 129 euros, not pounds, which currently converts to $137. But yeah, even at that, that's steep. But the price in the U.S. will almost certainly be lower. There are VAST differences in the pricing structures between countries.

For example, my 20-inch Ego mower with 4.0 Ah battery is $449 here, but it's $745 on the Irish website you linked to.
Photo of Christopher

Christopher

I feel better already.....should be $90 but guess we pay for the tech.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Ego's British website has it for $112 (my mower there is $620). I bet the attachment will be under $100 here.

Man, I guess they pay a premium for living in Ireland!
Photo of Christopher

Christopher

I'd pay a premium to have it in my hands now. Springtime is here and the big box stores are selling all their tools now...I can't believe Ego is missing these early buyers......timing is off....I think they should have had these on the market no later than 3/1.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,452 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Food for thought:

1A) String Trimmers: 12" -> 15" bump head -> 15" speed feed head

1B) Mower: 20" -> 21" -> 21" SP

1C) Blower: 480cfm -> 535 cfm  -> 585 cfm (or whatever the numbers are, I didn't look them up)

1D) Chainsaw: 14" gen 1 -> 16"/14" gen 2

1E) Battery: 2.0 -> 4.0 -> 2.5 -> 5.0 -> 7.5

So this has been my acquisition history and experience:

2A) I had the 12" trimmer, but returned it because the performance was sub-par (mainly power).  Now I have the 15" gen 1, which I converted to the latest speed feed head (both with the Echo 400 kit, as well as bolting on the AH1500 kit; though this is not endorsed by Ego).

2B) I have the 20" mower, and it works great for me with the 5.0 AH battery. Performance is presumably better than the original 4.0AH battery (2000 vs. 2500 mAH cells).

2C) Had the 480cfm blower w/ 2.0AH battery, returned it because the performance was sub-par (mainly run time).

2D) Bought the original 14" gen 1 CS, but returned it because the performance was sub-par when compared to  the Kobalt 80v, and the Echo 58V.  I currently own the Kobalt 80V, but may change over to an Ego someday.  The run time for the 2.0 w/ the 14" CS was a little short, and the power was a little less than the 80v KB.  The gen 2 CS I am sure is much improved over the gen 1.

2E) In addition to adding more strings (e.g. 2.0/2.5 are 1P, 4.0/5.0 are 2P and 7.5 is 3P); Ego also increased the cell size from 2000 to 2500 mAH, which is why you see the bump up from 2.0 to 2.5  and 4.0 to 5.0.

So with all that said, I am excited to see what capabilities the new multi-tool will bring; however, I might wait (and it will be pretty difficult) to wait for Gen 2 of the Multi-Tool based solely on my personal experience of the above Ego tool acquisitions.  I am extremely hopeful that Ego has noticed this trend, and the gap between the initial introduction and follow-on "improved models" is shortened, to the point where they are perfect with the first iteration.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I don't know... I think they may have gone all out on the Gen1 multi tool. We've been told it has a 2000W motor, which is almost difficult to digest, so I can't see a Gen2 tool needed in order to step it up in the power department.

I can't blame you for your point of view based on what's happened so far, but if I were a betting man I'd wager this multi tool will stick around a while. :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Also keep in mind that the multi tool has been released in Europe for over 2 years. So it's not a brand new product. It is only new to us.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We are pleased to announce that the EGO Power Head System (multi-tool) is now live and for sale. Here is a link to see everything that's available so far: https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-head
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

• 1,844 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Jenn ! Plunged right into it ! Do you know if a hedge trimmer attachment will be released at all ? And any others, that funny attachment that has 3 blades - (what on earth is it :) ?

Also, what did others mean by this multi-tool being "2000W" ? 
I see that we are free to use own batteries for this.

(I knew when there was a sale yesterday and that too for one day we should be seeing this today ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

2000W is equivalent to 2.7 hp. Or in other words, enough to make you hold on for dear life! :-)

The hedge trimmer and brush cutting blade (three-prong thingy) are to be released next year.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Like blue said. It's a power rating for how much you can destroy with the tools.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That's one way of putting it! :-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.