Is the mower self-propelled?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

Our mower is not self-propelled. It is so light and maneuverable that we decided that it was unnecessary. (This means that the battery power and run time go to cutting your grass, instead of driving the wheels.) But don’t take our word for it! Here is a quote from one of the EGO video testimonials:

“One of the concerns I had was that we were giving up self-propelled, but the mower deck is so light that I actually find that I move quicker with the battery-powered mower...” See the full video at http://egopowerplus.com/pages/video-gallery
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,068 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of George Perdue

George Perdue

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I think I'd still like self propelled.  I'm over 65 and can use the help.  I already have an electric and it's fine, but not self-propelled.  I miss that on my ranch.  I don't care about losing some time mowing.  Very often I just need to mow a small, maybe 200 sq foot section.  Currently I get out my string trimmer and do it, but a mower would be much better. 

Photo of Walter Powell

Walter Powell

• 60 Points
I agree.  I am over 70 and slightly handicapped. Small yard as well
Photo of Ivory Johnson

Ivory Johnson

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
You should rethink the self propelled option. I would have bought this product a year ago, but I'm holding out until someone makes a 56V Mower that's self propelled. You should make it an option and let the customer choose whether they want the extra run time or the convinience of self propelled. You could also offer a 2nd battery as an option for those that choose the self propelled version.
(Edited)
Photo of J C

J C

• 64 Points
I second the motion. What ever happened to listening to the customer?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
They made a choice NOT to listen to me... by that I mean they decided to make a push mower so they didn't have to listen to me cry about it costing too much. ;-)

Seriously, as a first effort I think they pretty much hit it out of the park!
Photo of Lance Neibauer

Lance Neibauer

I just bought a Worx BECAUSE it is self propelled.  I would have bought the EGO if you had a self propelled option.  You're making a mistake by not offering a self propelled model.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,600 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I disagree completely. Adding self propulsion adds mechanical complexity, weight and battery drain with virtually nothing to gain on a mower of such light weight. I'm out of shape and lazy and the EGO is absolutely effortless for me.
Photo of Lance Neibauer

Lance Neibauer

The Worx ... works great even with all that "complexity"!  It cuts for 45+ minutes with self-propelling itself at whatever speed one walks at.  The fact that lots of people seem to want self propelling is reason enough for the EGO folks to offer it.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,600 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I guess that's why the Worx takes has a three-year warranty instead of five, and a 12-month warranty on the batteries instead of three years. Good luck with that.
(Edited)
Photo of Lance Neibauer

Lance Neibauer

No, one battery.  Worx great !! :-)  Warranties are all tied to the small print.  The Large Print givith, the Small Print takith away !
Photo of Timothy

Timothy

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm in my 50's and went from a self-propelled mower to the EGO - and the EGO is so much lighter and easier to maneuver around the yard, trees, etc. that I don't miss my self propelled mower at all, and in fact prefer this one for its ease of use.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,844 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Same!  My Honda Self Propelled was heavy and very difficult to maneuver and a real pain to pull backwards.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,202 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Same here. Harmony Masters was a great mower, but in tight spots were you have to maneuver without propulsion assistance it was kind of like trying to push a civic with fixed wheels.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Funny, my only really recent experience with a self propelled mower was moving the one my neighbor keeps under an old bbq cover in his back yard. What a BEAST that thing is! If I had to cut a lawn with that thing I would hope it was a very straight, long, narrow yard... the less turns the better!
Photo of George Perdue

George Perdue

I got the new self-propelled one.  Works fine and I mowed for almost an hour and still had amps left over.  Only complaint is that it doesn't go to neutral when the self-propel is turned off, so it's difficult to pull backward.  The rear wheels don't move.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

They wheels do release after using SP, but there is a delay—You can't do a quick back and forth. The wheels unlock once they come to a full stop after you release the SP lever.
Photo of George Perdue

George Perdue

Your competition is the SKIL li-ion mower.  It's not self-propelled either.

Photo of Hal

Hal

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
As i posted earlier, I just purchased the mower on March 29, and I use it for mowing next to the fence since my Dixie chopper does not get close enough to the fence. I am 67 the point being, from my point of view, a self-propelled unit would be needed to cut a lawn of just about any size on St. Augustine grass because of its lushness.
Hope this helps
Semper Fi
Hal

Photo of Rovi Villanueva

Rovi Villanueva

• 60 Points
I agree with you guys that they should have a self propelled.....
Photo of Stan

Stan

• 1,674 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Please Please Please provide the EGO mower with a self-propelled option!  There are a lot of us baby boomers who are over 60 years old and the numbers are getting larger every day.  We want to keep mowing our own lawns instead of having a service do it for us to keep fit, for health and financial reasons.  However, we are already struggling to push mowers with yards that are large, have hills and slopes and thick grass.  There are also a lot of us who want to convert from our gas guzzling mowers and older, heavy lead-acid battery mowers to the newer lighter weight lithium-ion mowers.  But a growing number of us NEED it to be self-propelled to get up those slopes, especially with a bag full of grass/leave clippings attached. I got really excited when I first saw an ad for your 56V lithium-ion battery powered mower and was ready to purchase one last week.  But I was disappointed when I found out it was not self-propelled.  I truly think that EGO is missing a great opportunity to sell a lot of these lithium-ion powered mowers IF they were self-propelled.  Thank you in advance for your consideration!

Stan Fayfar
Rockford, IL

Stan, you raise a very good, valid point.  We have added your request (among so many others) for this self-propelled option and hopefully, we will see it come to fruition in the future.  We appreciate your feedback!
Photo of George Perdue

George Perdue

Good luck with that and keep us informed.  I'd buy one today if it were available.

Photo of Stan

Stan

Me too, me too!  Even if it was at a SLIGHTLY higher price point!
Photo of George

George

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Stan!  I had the same feeling about this ... and would buy it if it was self propelled.  Maybe Jennifer can alert us when it's available.

I will definitely alert everyone if/when we get a self-propelled mower on the market.  Rest assured, you will all be posted on this very anticipated topic!
Photo of Phil Todd

Phil Todd

Ditto, love the mower! Don't love pushing a mower, even if it is lighter weight.  I'm just getting too old for it.  But I enjoy the exercise walking behind a self propelled.  When you offer that, I'll be in line to buy one.  

Photo of Julie

Julie

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I would be buying one today, too, if it were self-propelled.  Been waiting for a lithium mower to have the self-propelled feature.  This coming from yet another aging baby boomer wanting to take care of my own property without gasoline.
Photo of Thomas Mason

Thomas Mason

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Add me to the list of people who will buy one today if it was self propelled.  I am also over 60 and don't want to have to push always, I just would like the option when needed.  Push some, walk some.  Kill the head light give me self propelled.
A trade in program is a good idea, you say you will consider it for the future.  But what about all of us who need an answer now.  You need to come up with some answers soon.

Tom

Photo of George Perdue

George Perdue

I agree with that.  Just propel me up to where I will mow and then I can push from there. 

Once again, we'd like to thank all of you for your enthusiasm and desire for a self-propelled mower.  We'd like to remind you that we will certainly post a huge announcement if we develop this type of mower in the future. Please be patient with us as research and development does take time.  We will not have an immediate answer but we promise to keep you informed as we make progress.  
Photo of Jean Gaye

Jean Gaye

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I, like other electric users, need a self propelled mower.  I realize that just to power the wheel motion takes valuable energy away from the blade operation and would drastically reduce the total run time .  I am in the process of modifying an old gas powered mower to electric.  Research indicates it is possible to achieve both propulsion and cutting power with a -48 volt battery and two electric motors.  One for the drive function and one for the cutting blade.  So, if I could make one, I'm sure you could too. 
Photo of Stan

Stan

Jean, good luck with the conversion!  I greatly admire people who have the ability and don't wait around for the industries to make them the products that they want and need.  Let us know how it turns out!  Black and Decker has a 36V lead-acid battery powered, self-propelled mower with dual motors that I almost purchased until I read some reviews that it was so heavy to push when the battery dies.  And it takes over 8 hours to charge their lead-acid battery.
Photo of rob

rob

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would buy one TODAY if it was self propelled. I understand its light but if you have a typical lawn with divots and irregularities its a chore. If you are mowing a perfectly flat smooth golf green i might say yes go for a push mower. If you let the grass go a day or two too long in the Northeast, this time of year, you are in for a workout without self propelled. I dont care HOW light it is. :-)
Photo of Ben Sharpton

Ben Sharpton

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a 5 or 6 year old Epic self-propelled (lead acid battery) that I've been wanting to get rid of because the batteries don't last long and are hard to find. I think I'll wait awhile longer for a self-propelled EGO mower and just buy another $100 replacement battery for this summer. 
Photo of Ben Sharpton

Ben Sharpton

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I've got an idea. How about a trade-in program. Buy your existing mower now and be able to trade in for a reduced cost when the self-propelled option becomes available. 

That's a great idea Ben!  We'll be sure to consider that for the future.
Photo of Ron Pavlacka

Ron Pavlacka

I live in Florida and at 63 I felt the same as many. Was ready to buy, then I saw it was not self-propelled. That is the "missing link". Florida is ripe for these, but the St. Agustine grass means guys our age want/need a self-propelled mower. Keep me updated please! Ready to buy when it is available. ron@pavlacka.net
Photo of Stan

Stan

Jennifer, my old gas guzzler just died on me and I decided to give the EGO mower a try even though it is not self-propelled.  Any chance EGO will give us a discount on the self-propelled version if we buy the EGO mower now and want to trade up to the self-propelled version when it becomes available?  Thanks for checking with the powers that be...

Stan Fayfar

Photo of Stan

Stan

P.S.  I like EGO’s battery system so much that I’m getting the string trimmer and the blower also.

Photo of Stan

Stan

OK.  I went and took the plunge.  I recently became a seasonal sales associate for the garden department at The Home Depot in Rockford, IL (Store #1928).  I looked at the EGO Power Plus equipment every day while at work and even had the opportunity to sell two of the mowers.  One was to me because I just couldn’t wait to try one out.  My first cut was through grass that was 6”-8” tall and it handled it with ease.  I was bagging the clippings because I also wanted to pick up some of the yard debris from the winter.  No problems at all on my flat back yard.  However, once I got to the sloped side yard I struggled to get the mower with bag and grass clippings up that slope. The mower is a lot lighter than I thought it would be and probably won’t be a problem on the slopes when I’m only mulching but I’m at the 15 degree slope limit that EGO recommends not exceeding and I think it will still be difficult to push.  The 4 Amp-Hour battery lasted about 40 minutes on my first cut, probably due to the tall grass that I was cutting.  I put the battery on the 30 minute fast charger and put the 2 Amp-Hour battery that I got with the string trimmer in the mower and got about another 17 minutes worth of cutting.  I took a 25 minute break and the 4 Amp-Hour battery was already fully charged. I put that one back into the mower and just about finished cutting my roughly 10,000 SF of grass area.  I had to finish it with the recharged 2 Amp-Hour battery.   Overall, I’m extremely happy with the way the mower cuts, starts, sounds, stores folded up, maneuvers around trees, shrubs and planters, and it’s fairly easy to push on the flat areas even when the bag is full of grass.  NOT so much on the slopes.  I’m 63 years old and I know it’s only going to get harder with age.  Sorry for the long winded comment but I thought I owed it to all the baby boomers out there to give an honest appraisal.  And now that I’m also selling them at Home Depot I feel I need to let my customers know the good and the bad with these.  I DO NOT regret buying the mower and trimmer at all.  They are both extremely well engineered AND manufactured lawn equipment.  They are solidly built and seem to be very durable.  The batteries and the chargers are the BEST in the industry that I have seen so far from any company out there. If the mowers were SELF-PROPELLED I’m sure I could sell a lot of them.  For those who are considering buying one, wait until your local Home Depot is offering their 10% discount on all purchases when you sign up for their store credit card.  It made my deal a little sweeter.  I will let you all know how the next cut goes with the mulching on the slopes.

Stan Fayfar

Stan, thanks so much for your review!  I hope this helps everyone in the future.  We appreciate you taking the time to update everyone.
Photo of Stan

Stan

June 17, 2014
OK, here's my update on mulching without the self-propelled feature.  As I mentioned previously, the mower is extremely light and maneuverable and made mulching very easy.  I'm fairly fit but getting older and have trouble with my knees but I wouldn't need a self propelled EGO mower to take care of my flat front and backyards.  My sloped side yard is a different story though.  I definitely need a self-propelled feature to cut this 15 degree sloped area.  I struggled to cut it diagonally pushing up the hill even without the grass catching bag attached.  So I'm looking forward to the self-propelled EGO mower coming out soon (I HOPE!).  I continue to be an EGO fan and do NOT regret buying both the mower and the string trimmer (so far).  I still think the 56V lithium-ion battery system is the best in the industry.  The charging units are also well engineered and built.  Keep up the good work EGO and please keep us baby boomers in mind in your engineering.

Stan Fayfar
Rockford, IL
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Good day all!

Just to add my 2 cents to this conversation.  I believe that I would sacrifice 5 to 10 minutes mowing time for a self propel feature.  My back yard is flat, but my front yard is a rocket launcher.  I've started cutting it "side to side" so I'm only dealing with the angle, which helps tremendously as I don't have to go uphill.

Now, for those that don't care, either way for self propel, it would be a negative to add it.  It would add 5 to 10 lbs. to the mower weight, and added parts that may fail over time.  That 5 to 10 lbs. of added motor and axel would feel like a bit to the ones that like to push without self propel. 

EGO designed this mower to be SIMPLE, less things to go wrong, fewer moving parts and switches.  I personally like that I can actually pick the whole mower up and carry it over my shoulders when folded up.  Is that added weight and circuitry worth it?  Maybe.  I'm on the fence. 

The Salesman at our Home Depot told me it was self propelled when I bought it, so when I got home and unpacked, you could have imagined my confusion when I was trying to figure out how to get it to work.  :).  I was a bit upset at Home Depot, but not upset at the mower.  Honestly, it is so light that I thought that maybe it had one of those variable speed self propelled mechanisms, until I flipped it over and just saw that there were just wheels.

Photo of Glen

Glen

• 60 Points

I have never had to mow my own lawn. I grew up in a townhouse so as a kid/teen I never had that chore. as an adult, I've hired a service to cut my grass. I hate the thought of dealing with the gas/gas mix issues of such mowers/equipment and the few times I have cut grass was with a corded electric mower which just seems silly to me (dealing with the cord all over the yard).   I am looking at buying a new house. the house I'm considering has a relatively small amount of grass to be cut and is somewhat flat with a few bits of hilly ground here and there.  I absolutely would prefer a self propelled option.  I'm no engineer but the gears on the back axle and some circuitry probably wouldn't weigh that much.  And with the technology available, having a manual switch (or electronic switch) to activate the self propelling motor seems fairly easy to accomplish.  Until I buy the  house I won't decide on what to buy but I've got a great amount of interest in the EGO mower as it is. Self Propelled would put me over the top on a decision for sure.

Photo of troy

troy

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The mower is VERY light.  I don't think you would need/want self-propelled to be honest.  Look at it as a way to live longer (great exercise!)
Photo of Hal

Hal

You obviously do not live in Florida or have mowed St. Augustine.
Photo of Hal

Hal

have NOT mowed St. Augustine
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Honestly, even with my very steep lawn, it is easier to mow with this mower than my heavy gas self-propelled.  But, I think their next generation mower will have it.  Companies have a way of bending towards the squeaky wheel  :). 
Photo of Jack Karrick

Jack Karrick

• 60 Points
I just bought the mower yesterday.  Mowed my flat back yard and the mower has great cutting power.  As with a lot of these posters, I have St Augustine grass and the mower can be very hard to push as it buries into the lawn.  Admittedly I'm going to be 61 next month and I was going faster than my Honda self propelled normally goes, but there are a few little rises, not hills, in my yard and the mower gets very hard to push through these areas.  My front yard is also St Augustine but is sloped as well.  I really love the power this mower has, better than my gas Honda, but may end up returning it as it doesn't like my grass.  Wish I had read these comments before buying this mower as I would have waited for the self propelled version or regretfully purchased a different brand.  Just a thought, any chance there are wider rear wheels for this mower?  It might help keep it from sinking into the St Augustine grass as much.
(Edited)
Photo of Evon

Evon

• 62 Points
I have been looking at this mower for a week and just had my mind made up for me.  I have to have self propelled and just found out this one isn't.  I have to buy quickly so I won't be able to get this one.  Hope by the time I need another, there will be a self propelled option.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,100 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Evon. If this was self propelled it would be a waste. Its so light. I mow like i am vacuuming. Dont buy something else. Other battery mowers suck. They have rediculous recharge times, they are also heavy because their battery is so big ( which is ehy they are self propelled). I mow a steep hill and 1.5 acres with this mower. Its good exercise
Photo of RobbieGA

RobbieGA

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Jacob, speak for yourself.  You are so wrong when it comes to me and my needs.  I for one need a self-propelled vacuum due to having broken both ankles in a car accident. I cannot use a lawnmower that is not self-propelled.  They need to have two models one push and the other self-propelled.  That way everyone can choose for themselves which they want.

(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Robbie,

I understand.  I know of other people with disabilities severe enough that they cannot push even the lightest of mowers but walking is acceptable and good for them.  That being said, I don't know if it is in the cards for EGO.  They are relatively new in this market and have a lot of requests for a lot of products.  They hit the core market and we haven't seen nor heard much since.  They have to hit their ROI or it isn't worth it.  They are smartly tight lipped on product development and releases, so only a fly on the wall of their product development team would know if a self-propelled mower is in the works.  My advice to you is to read up on other manufacturers that offer self-propelled and get what YOU need.  It seems all of the battery powered mowers are pretty good, just some stand out as better in some aspects, like EGO.  I really wish they would design some sort of kit add-on purchase for self-propelled.  I would even consider it to allow my younger daughter to mow.  My lawn is a rocket ship and even with the light mower, it is a workout to walk.  I personally like it, but I'm weird like that.
Photo of G-Man

G-Man

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I have the string trimmer, hedge trimmer and the blower and love all three (although I am having an occasional problem where the blower won't start when I first try it out, but love the thing when it works). 

However, I think I'll wait for the self-propelled version of the mower also.  I have a very sloped back yard that I cut in multiple directions.  I'm sure this would be a good mower for side-to-side mowing along the hill, but up and down is a no go. It is difficult enough walking up and down it  the hill 30-40 times, let alone pushing a mower, or anything else. 

My main concern is that EGO may change the battery technology by the time a self-propelled version comes out, which means my current batteries may not work in the mower to provide additional cutting time, when needed, and as back-ups.  I'm not in a hurry for a mower, so I may just wait it out to see what happens.

G-Man, we understand your concern but please rest assured that any future versions of our battery will be compatible with the first generation of our tools.  We would never leave our first generation users out in the cold.  We appreciate you all way too much to do something like that.  
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

What Jennifer says is pretty much gold.  Great company.  Thank you for all of your help on these forums. 
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I can almost assure you with quite a bit of confidence they aren't going to change the batteries on us.  That would be a Business sin.  If anything may add a bigger Ah battery that will also fit in all of their products.  Chervon/EGO have been around a long time and I've never seen their other brands up and change their upper line batteries, leaving current customers in the dust.
Photo of Jamie Buchanan

Jamie Buchanan

I too would like to get on the self-propelled bandwagon.  The one and only reason I have not purchased the mower is that it’s only a push mower.  I agree with many that as you age, a self-propelled mower is almost a must.  But if you have any small hills like I do, a self-propelled mower is a must.

Since I have a trimmer and am looking at getting the blower, I’d have extra batteries.  So as an idea, EGO should consider having a second standard battery port that would power the self-propelled motor.

Photo of SteveM

SteveM

• 366 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
A self-propelled mower BUNDLED with the new 7.5Ah battery pack should allay any possible fears about the power plant being hobbled by the added power demands of the propulsion motors. And wouldn't it be WONDERFUL if Ego priced the whole package as generously as the current mower+4Ah Battery+FastCharger?

I'm already looking at pairing individual drive motors with internally gear-toothed drive wheels from different a vendor's self-propelled gas mowers (with the help of an engineer/tech friend at a local major-manufacturer OPE repair depot)--the motors are obviously NOT from an OPE manufacturer. But even with the PWM power controller module to provide variable-speed self-propulsion, and "stealing" the handle-mounted variable speed controller from one of the H*O*A mowers, I can do the whole thing for WELL under $100. And that's with TWO (2) independent drive motors (one for each wheel). The 56-to-24volt power converters are certainly cheap enough, and once I find small enough 48-volt drive motors even THAT won't be an issue.

I'm 60, just like a lot of the other posters here (I have other mobility issues, as well), so even the little "hills" in my Florida St Augustine grass present a challenge. And even though I JUST BOUGHT my mower, I have enough faith in the engineering design I've seen so far, that I don't mind risking my 5-year warranty, because I think the basic mower is going to WAY outlast the warranty. And If I can get self-propulsion installed in the next few weeks, I can justify ditching my exceptional (and very expensive) gas-powered machine, knowing the Ego electric will make up for my infirmities.

But my main purpose in saying all of this is that if I can do (what I think will ultimately be an impressive implementation) for well under $100, Ego should be able to do it (for a parts cost) even lower than that, and with much better overall product integration. And while it helps being an engineer, I'm sure each and everyone of you have looked at the simplicity of the Ego mower and imagined how easy it should be to make a self-propelled version.

Keep plugging for the new mower, Stan, and everybody else.

Cheers-
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Every vacuum we ever owned until last year was self-propelled. That was a necessary feature because they were all so heavy that the vacuum was impossible to move without it. And the self-propulsion was the first thing to break on every single one. Now we have a Shark that is easier to push than any we have ever owned, and it isn't self propelled because it doesn't need it. If they added self-propulsion it would just make the agile lightweight vacuum bulkier and heavier, more expensive, more likely to break, and probably harder to use.

Before our Ego mower, every lawnmower we ever had was self-propelled too. Just like the Shark vacuum, the Ego isn't self-propelled because it doesn't need to be. And if they added self-propulsion, it would only make for a bulkier, heavier, less reliable mower that is harder to use AND has shorter battery life.

Self-propelled is a feature from last century that has no place in today's world of sleek lightweight products. Good riddance!
Photo of SteveM

SteveM

• 366 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi David-

I think you're missing George's (and the rest of ours') point: We love that the mower is so light, but it's still 62lbs! (manual spec).I lost half the muscles in my thigh, as well as a lung, to a very insidious cancer a couple of years ago. But light exercises (like lawn maintenance) are THE DOCTOR'S ORDERS, And I still want to be useful around the house. and we can no longer afford to pay the lawn maintenance guy over $150/month for cutting the grass and braking my sprinkler heads. I WANT TO MOW THE LAWNS!. But because of my health, I need a little assistance in making that happen. Even here in Florida--the land of the FLAT and the sinkhole--, many of us have silly little hillocks (or much worse) on our porperties that keep us from being able to push even a well-balanced, highly maneuverable, BUT STILL 62lb lawnmower across the terrain.

I don't think any of us are talking about asking Ego to scrap the current mower design--only that there's A FRESH, NEW market for yet another new product that would generate a healthy amount of new revenue, and it would likely the be MOST EXPENSIVE (and probably profitable) product in Ego's product lineup.

As we've all read from the other posters on this thread, and many others elsewhere on the Ego site, there are MANY potential buyers for Ego mowers THAT AREN'T DOING SO, because they have strength / mobility issues like I do. I know how obnoxious St Augustine's grass can be, as do other Floridians (we used to call this stuff "crab grass" in every other state I've lived), but I had no idea that well cultivated, "real" grass, like Bermuda, could become so thick during the growing season that it made mowing even slower. And while self-propulsion won't fix that directly, it WILL give the user a greater sense of forward motion control that should keep the mower from shutting down so frequently during a normal mowing

(BTW, I'm hoping that if / when such a new mower product comes to market, that Ego will have replaced the main motor with a brushless design. Most such battery operated products that have switched power plants to brushless have also experienced lower heat buildup, as will as MUCH longer motor life (for engineering/design reasons, I DO hate the fact that it is a plastic-framed motor, if the other reports are true, but the mower is still a great product)

Also I have REALLY en\joyed many of the other product/marketing ideas you've posted recently. But in this particular case, it's not an "EITHER / OR' decision, it's just a new, higher-value product that opens up an potentially huge new market (amongst all the "retirees" moving here to Florida who still want to do 'manly' things like mow the yard :)

Thanks for all the great ideas so far.

And as a point of comparison, EVERY Shark product we've ever owned was complete gargage, compared with other heavier (albeit more expensive) designs. EVERY SINGLE ONE was eventually returned to the vendor (I felt bad for Bed, Bath & Beyond).

Cheers-
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Sorry, didn't mean to discount or marginalize anyone's opinion. I am younger (relatively, by some standards) and do see things from an entirely different perspective.

I was one of the first reviewers of the Ego mower on the Home Depot site, and I really struggled with the lack of self-propulsion. In my lifetime, most good mowers and ALL great mowers are self-propelled. I had never used one that wasn't, and had only ever seen dirt cheap junk mowers that weren't self-propelled. I thought it was something I needed, like cruise control or power windows in a car.

My initial perception was that the Ego mower was an electric version of those junky mowers, only more than triple the price. Then I used it, and alternated between it and my top-of-the-line Honda a few times. I realized that I like the simplicity more than the bells and whistles. I ended up giving it a very good review, and since then have come to love the mower and technology more and more.

It isn't perfect, and needs a little more power to cut our thick Bermuda lawn. I don't see self propel as an option because it would reduce power to the blades, plus I have to go at a pace much slower than a self propelled speed for the mower to not overload. If my mower had self propel, it would go about 5' and shut off.

Maybe future versions will have more power and can afford to give some up to helping turn the wheels. I certainly hope so. But the current mower cannot.
Photo of RobbieGA

RobbieGA

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Hi David,

You are missing the point.  We are not asking you to give up the push version of the lawnmower.  We want Ego to keep making and improving their push mower. But there are those of us that need a self-propelled version. It would be selfish not to want a second model for us just because you do not want to use it. I think most people would agree that two models would be a great idea - one push and one self-propelled. That way no one has to give up anything for the self-propelled feature if they do not want to.  While others can choose the self-propelled lawnmower if they prefer it.  I would cheerfully accept a shorter cutting time between charges for the self-propel feature.

I know Ego can do it as Black and Decker makes a self-propelled version that gets good rating on cutting grass. The B&D Technicians can not be smarter than the Ego Technicians or we would all have B&D string trimmers etc.  I know Ego can make and even better self-propelled lawnmower that uses the same battery as our other yard tools if they decide to.  I just hope they will.

Ego, keep in mind that the biggest complaint made about the Black and Decker self-propelled Lawnmower is that its slowest speed is still a bit fast. We need a slow speed that really is slow for the handicap people who can not walk fast.

Thank you!

Photo of George Perdue

George Perdue

If you read the comments, most of us making them were born in the middle of the last century and we need our self-propulsion.  I don't care how light it is (and it isn't THAT light, I picked one up), we need a self-propelled version.  Most of the people who are younger don't need it and they also don't need a battery operated mower.  Someone else will look at what we need and you'll lose out.
Photo of Thomas Mason

Thomas Mason

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am not an engineer but a damn good do-it-yourselfer, would you share the bill of materials and parts source so others can do the same thing.  Once you get it done make a video and put it on You tube.   
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,100 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
All ego needs to do to make everyone happy, is make it an option. What would be needed is to make new rear wheels with hub motors, replace the handle clamp locks with ones that have a strain gauge in them, sense the push pull on the strain gauge clamps. Each side would sense the push force on either side giving the self propel brain the input it needs to determine if your turning or going straight. It would give more power to the outside wheel. It could clip into the existing motor or use a dedicated motor. Its not complicated. if it could sense the discharge of the motor, it could also put resistance on the motors to slow you down. when your going down hill, regenative braking could also be utilized. There, everyone is happy.
Photo of Stan

Stan

I understand EGO's business model of starting a new line cutting edge technology lawn equipment by starting simple.  And I have the patience to wait until they produce another top notch mower that is self-propelled.  Almost all of the other companies out there make BOTH versions and it's just a matter of time before EGO adds one to their great lineup.  And I anxiously await Jennifer's email announcing when I can run to the local Home Depot to pick one up.  Right, Jen?!

Oh, and I won't be selling my non-self-propelled EGO mower on craigslist, I'm going to give it to one of my kids who have a gas guzzler and get them on the EGO Li-Ion bandwagon.  We need to teach our kids about the benefits of this great line of tools, if they haven't found out for themselves already.

Stan Fayfar

Everyone, we love your enthusiasm for a self-propelled mower.  Trust us, we're still listening.  We are taking everything into consideration and you'll all be the first to know if we can make this happen.  Keep up the productive conversation.  
Photo of Bill Rauscher

Bill Rauscher

• 60 Points
I am 63 and will be 64 this month.  I have a bad back from a serious accident and also have an enlarged heart and had open heart surgery.  I can do activities but it's not possible for me to buy a lawn mower that's not self-propelled.  I saw an advertisement for this mower and immediately looked it up online to see if it was self-propelled.  Sadly it was not.  
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hi Bill,

With the release of a very high capacity battery, I believe this is a possibility.  I believe EGO is smart.  When a market becomes saturated, you go the next step up and once again become the leader.  When this happens, it makes a purchasing decision a little easier on the consumer.  Either the best, or try to figure out what in the world is the difference between 10 different battery powered mowers.  We shall see what comes.

Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I'm 64 and granted I have a small yard, but the mower is exceptionally easy to push due to being so light. And besides, I need the exercise!
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 1,072 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Belt driven self propelled is needed 100%
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I assume you own the mower?

Is it heavy when you push it?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.