Is this unit more fragile than a gas unit? That and HDs lack of service, makes purchase a bit iffy.

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

From what I am reading, it seems that this unit is more fragile than a gas mower. It appears that the motor shaft, magnet, and circuitry, are prone to damage. That and HDs lack of customer service make a purchase iffy.
Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

• 2,884 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Jeff, early 20" mowers had their blades keyed to the motor shaft.  If the blade struck a solid object the instant deceleration of the motor was enough to cause damage.  The newer mowers have done away with the keyed design so the motor can decelerate much slower and avoid damage should the blade strike a solid object.

I'm not saying the newer mowers are indestructible, but the chance of damaging the motor is greatly reduced.

I bent the crankshaft on a high end Honda mower when I was a kid; I hit the water main plate in the front yard.  Bent the crankshaft and the motor was scrap.  Certainly not an Ego-only possibility. :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
What Big Blue said.  I also don't tighten my blade beyond snug anymore.  I've hit things that ruined my previous 20" with no problem now.  It allows a little blade spin if hitting something that substantial.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.