Is there an ETA for the EGO 21" SP Lawn Mower in Surrey/Langley/Vancouver BC?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

The Little Green Mowing Company would like to put two of these beauties into service as soon as possible. An accurate ETA would be appreciated.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,194 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Steve, your best bet would be to contact your local Home Depot Canada for the most accurate timeline. We could only give you an estimate. 
  • Phone:1-800-628-0525
  • Hours: Monday - Sunday 9:00 am - 11:00 pm EST

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/contact-us.html
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Unfortunately, Home Depot Canada has no idea. No stock and none on order. Go figure. They do have the Model # LM2101 in stock.
Photo of Jwm jwm

Jwm jwm

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Agree I'm looking for this model as well and staff have no idea. Can someone help provide an ETA for the LM2102SP in Home Depot  across Canada?

Thank you
(Edited)
Photo of Mike McGillivray

Mike McGillivray

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I too am waiting for stock in Canada. (Calgary).
Photo of Jwm jwm

Jwm jwm

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Anyone??
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
They aren't even on the shelves in the U.S. as far as I can tell. I had to order mine online. Yes, the original is on shelves and I don't see the new one coming until they all move. Problem is that I don't think these mowers fly off the shelves.

Everyday people see the price tag and that's pretty much it. They can get a very high end Honda easily for the price of this mower. The highest end Honda push mower that Home Depot sells is the same price as the 21" Ego SP with the 7.5ah battery. Yes, I know the benefits of this mower in and out. Joe Blow really doesn't care.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I was in Pennsylvania a couple weeks ago and visited several HD locations. Most of them had a stack of 21" push mower kits in stock but I didn't see one SP kit.

Having said that, there's no reason for HD Canada not to have them available as an on-line order item. Our stores already have the 21" push mower kit showing up, so where's the SP model?
Photo of Rob

Rob

I am in central NC. Unless they just showed up at HD in the last couple days here, they are still selling the old mower in stores.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad Christie

Brad Christie

• 2,568 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Southern New Hampshire has them. Saw the commercial on TV, jumped on the home depot site and saw only one store (in 25 mile radius) had them in Stock--so i, of course, made an immediate trip. ;)

However, a lot of stores were willing to do in-store pickup, you'd just have to wait the lead time (think it was 5 days or so). Certainly every store is different.

Kind of a bummer though; I'm a lowes person. But no issue with crossing the proverbial line when it comes to being eco friendly. Maybe ego will get the contract with lowes soon (assuming they didn't sell exclusivity to home depot and that they have the inventory to push).
(Edited)

Mike McGillivray

At this point I can only assume that they have had a manufacturing problem, or has discovered a defect in the design.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Mike, oftentimes our products take longer to get to Canada vs. the US.  There are no manufacturing problems or defects.  We're working hard to get our tools available everywhere and we appreciate everyone's patience.  The spring season has just started and we're pushing hard to get into stores as quickly as possible. Not all stores will get all of the tools.  It depends on the store.  The same is true in the US.  Not every single Home Depot store in the US will stock all of the tools.  When not in stores, we try very hard to keep the online stock available.  We know everyone is anxious and we are sorry we cannot be everywhere at all times.  We're trying to get more specific information for you and will report back when we know more.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This.  with reviews popping up having this mower as the cream of the crop, i'm positive the demand is very high.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I was just going to mention supply/demand. Based on the recent CR test raving about its performance, I bet demand is rather high.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
While they appear no different, I believe Home Depot Canada operates as an almost entirely separate entity from the US. The supply chain may be entirely separate, plus in-store stocking decisions might not have been made at the same time for both. And it wouldn't surprise me if seasonal items are ordered and stocked much later in Canada than in the US, especially southern regions.

Not to mention that moving product across the US-Canadian border is much more complicated than it seems like it should be, at least in my limited experience.

I'm just speculating since I don't work for Ego or Home Depot, but I think delays like this are far more often due to a whole list of possible supply chain obstacles rather than manufacturing delays or production issues.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Mr. Cline,

Will you move to my neighborhood if a house goes up for sale?  I wouldn't mind having you around to bug.  That goes for Blue's Clues too.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

D.C., gold star for you. Canada has a whole bunch of issues, not the least of which is a wildly varying climate... the west coast is in perpetual lawn care mode, while the rest of the country is under a blanket of Ma Nature's finest efforts much of the year.

It seems everyone but ME is cutting grass and I'm still shoveling. Look at what I woke up to this morning:

This is supposed to be APRIL, no?!?!?

And SCDC, if I were to relocat to your neck of the woods I'd be petrified that evil centipede lawn of yours would attack me in my sleep! :-)
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

What I find interesting is that the LM2101 is already available in store and on line and competing with the old stock LM2001 while the LM2102SP is not available online or in store. When I called Home Depot HO all as they could tell me was it was showing it as 'in development' with no ETA & to call back the next week. Nobody seems to have a clue.
It's 26C (79F) here in Langley, BC today and we are in full on mowing season.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Steve, I hope for your sake HD does a regional rollout! It would be a real shame to see the SP mower available here in Ottawa first... we're a few weeks away from mowing yet.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I figured it out. HD head office is in Toronto...they looked out the window and said "what's the rush; it's snowing"

Mike McGillivray

I think Steve has the best answer here.  I find it bothersome that the company does not have the production capacity nor supply chain in place.  It makes me wonder what other aspects (warranty, QC, etc) might also be in question.

Having signs up in stores, but no product is one of the worst possible errors your company can have.

Mike McGillivray

I think Steve has the best answer here.  I find it bothersome that the company does not have the production capacity nor supply chain in place.  It makes me wonder what other aspects (warranty, QC, etc) might also be in question.

Having signs up in stores, but no product is one of the worst possible errors your company can have.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I'm pretty sure that production was completed months ago. Highly doubt that Ego is responsible for (or can do anything about) the delay getting product on shelves. Only with vendor-managed inventory is the manufacturer responsible for getting product on the shelves, and I don't believe Home Depot is a big VMI retailer if they have any at all.
Photo of Rob

Rob

The real problem that this whole deal looks to be one sided with HD holding all the cards. The stores carry what they want to carry. They may carry any of the line or none or so it appears.

EGO needs a new partner.
(Edited)

Mike McGillivray

It can be embarrassing for both HD and Ego at the same time, David.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I can't wait until who knows when for stock to be available in store or online so I ordered one online @ HD.com for pick up at the Bellingham store. ETA April 19-22. Very excited to get the mower this side of the border :-)

Mike McGillivray

It's 3 hours to the border for me.  :(
Photo of michael charach

michael charach

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You guys are making a huge mistake only distributing through Home Depot. They offer zero service. I looked around at the mowers for 30 min yesterday and no one helped me. The LM2001 is not stocked and when I went on line and asked when it was going to be available they advised that they did not know.

My experience at Amazon are always better then home depot and with home depot basically offering no service you should move the product on to Amazon. My guess is that the freight is a big problem.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ego is available from Amazon.

20" Mower kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NOGZ...

15" string trimmer kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TZLU...

480 CFM blower kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZNZU...

14" chainsaw kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0102PW...

Hedge trimmer kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JT18...

Just be sure when buying on Amazon that tbe seller is on Ego's approved retailer list. If not, there will be no warranty on the product:

http://egopowerplus.com/pages/warrant...
Photo of michael charach

michael charach

Not in Canada.. :-(
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ha! I'm in Canada as well and I share your pain!!! Our retail system, especially online retail, lags behind the US in a serious way... I bet if Amazon got serious about Canadian retail they could own the market over night!

Here's hoping Ego is working on alternate retail solutions for us folk north of the border! :-)
Photo of michael charach

michael charach

I actually pulled the trigger.  I finally found a good customer service rep at Home Depot.  He offered me $50.00 off the price of the 21" so I went with it rather then waiting for the 20".  I also picked up the 15" trimmer.  They are coming today.  I think I have a little more mower then I need for my yard, guess it will just get done quicker!
Photo of Rob

Rob

I guess you mean you got the 20" instead of waiting if the 21". Either way you got a great mower. Congrats!
Photo of michael charach

michael charach

No they have the 21" in stock and not the 20".  I ended up with the 21"
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

More is always the right amount.  Well done!
Photo of Rob

Rob

That's odd.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

It seems like these first generation tools were exclusive to Home Depot for at least 6 months or more, then independent hardware stores, and finally online retailers around 18-24 months after launch.

Guessing we may see similar tiered Home Depot exclusivity with the new tools this season, and gradual expansion of authorized retail outlets next season. Betting the only permanent exclusions are direct big box competitors (Lowes, Walmart, Menards, etc)
Photo of Brad Christie

Brad Christie

• 2,568 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
It's likely HD is fronting capital for that privilege, too.

The funny thing is the battery is most likely the biggest issue when pushing inventory. Sure, the box is big, but getting orm-ds shipped means ground only transport and paperwork hell at the boarders I'm assuming.

I'm thinking that buying out the HDs in my area and taking a 3 hour trip north might be profitable...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.