Is there a way to lubricate the gear box on the string end of my Ego String trimmer?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Is there a way to lubricate the gear box on the string end of my Ego String trimmer? I also have Stihl products and they have a removable bolt that allows injection of grease into the gear box. In fact, Stihl sells tubes of grease that screw into the hole that the bolt was removed from!  Does EGO have anything like this ?
Photo of Steven Mathews

Steven Mathews

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Steven Mathews

Steven Mathews

I just got off the phone with EGO Customer Support and they said that the gear box is "lubricated for life"  and there is no way to replace/refresh the lubricant without taking the gearbox apart (not advised).  A planned short life?  It's funny that the Owners Manual talks about how to dispose of the product, but not how to lubricate it to make it last longer!  I suggested that EGO engineers look at the design of Stihl string trimmers.  It is clear that Stihl designs their products to last a long time...if only I could get the stupid things started!  I will be taking a look at the Stihl cordless electric products soon to see if they allow lubrication.  Maybe just the gas models allow lubrication (which are often used daily for years by professionals).
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,376 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Steven, you're comparing commercial to residential tools. Look at the EGO Commercial line if that's what you're looking for. Never had I had to lubricate any of the string trimmers I've owned, especially using for maybe 30 minutes each week during the season.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
No, Steven, it's not a conspiracy to siphon money out of your pocket with planned obsolescence.

The only Ego string trimmer with a gear box is the weed trimmer attachment for the multitool, where the motor is in the top end of the powerhead, which turns the trimmer with a drive shaft. That gear box does have a lubrication fitting.

The stand-alone trimmers use direct-drive brushless motors. There are no gears to lubricate.

The Ego engineers DO know what they're doing.
(Edited)
Photo of Steven Mathews

Steven Mathews

Ken, are you saying that the motor in my trimmer is down by the ground and all that goes down the main shaft are wires from the trigger and battery at the upper end?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes, that's how all of Ego's weed trimmers are made except for the multi-tool system, which has the motor at the top of the powerhead. This is the case with most electric trimmers.
Photo of Steven Mathews

Steven Mathews

I stand corrected.  Since this is my first electric string trimmer, all of my previous string trimmers had the power source up by the trigger and a gearbox by the string spool.  I fully understand why I can't/shouldn't squeeze a bunch of grease into an electric motor.  Which brings us to my related issue.  The string auto-load feature works great when I'm just starting out (with the electric motor cool).  When the electric motor gets hot after running about 12 feet of line through the trimmer, why does the auto-load feature not work?  Is my only option to let the electric motor/string spool end of the trimmer cool down or is there a method that allows me to immediately reload and keep working?  I'm using Oregon .095" Square Magnum Gatorline.
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew Arbeau

Andrew Arbeau

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
You should be able to manually twist it in like the previous non automated models.
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 6,044 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Does anybody make a greasable motor on the ground model? I'm not coming up with anything off the top of my head.

For what it's worth myself and undoubtedly other commercial guys have a ton of hours on the 15" trimmer and so far no problems not being able to grease the head.

Jeremy