Is there a mower that is not self propelled?

• Question
  • Updated 2 days ago
  • Answered
Photo of joe

joe

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Yes, all Ego mowers are available without self propel:

https://egopowerplus.com/power-mowers/
thats no longer true, with the LM2140(sp), right?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 98,770 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ego LM2100 is the same mower without the SP feature
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yes, but you ought to get the self-propelled one in case you want/need that feature later. You're not required to engage the self-propelled feature to operate the mower.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The SP mowers come with larger 7.5Ah batteries, too.

William E Hanson

Since we have a "postage stamp" size yard with our cluster retirement home, the 7 5 Ah battery is sufficient for the entire season until I use it to mulch leaves.
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 6,726 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I chose NOT to buy self-propelled - less to break down - and I'm glad I did that, when reading about other folks' problems with the self-propelled.  My LM2101 mower has gone 3 years without a bit of trouble!  
(Edited)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 8,964 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
So has our SP, and we mow acres every week. Not getting a tool just because it is more complicated and you're worried it "might" break down is like still buying a Model A because new cars have power steering and variable speed transmissions. If you don't need SP, that's fine, but really, don't rule out buying something useful just because you assume everything with tech is going to let you down. Remember folks with problems tend to come to boards like this. The 1,000s of happy users humming along don't need to.

William E Hanson

Based on this theory, maybe a push reel mower would be better for longevity and almost maintainence-free.
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 6,726 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
MUCH harder to sharpen.  But you knew that.

William E Hanson

Don't mow over twigs or other debris and you would be surprised how long your blade lass.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 65,276 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you don't need self propel, don't buy it. The money you don't spend on the mower could be applied to another EGO tool or battery. 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,190 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Agreed. It also adds weight and additional complexity. Self-propelled is great if you need it, but a waste if you don't.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I sort of prefer the standard push / non-self propel.  It's much lighter and more maneuverable. 
Photo of William

William

• 526 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Let me vote here for simplicity, lower weight, and greater maneuverability.  I mow in a lot of small spots around ornamental trees next to a fence, grass around A/C condensers, and generally a lot of spaces where the mower has to be moved fore and aft, tilted and turned, then fore and aft again.  Light weight and a small footprint are what matters.  Also, it's just not that hard to push a lawnmower on a level suburban lot (Houston, St. Augustine grass.)  Hills would be another story, of course.  OTOH, I'd also like the larger battery, as on cool days a single charge won't quite do the whole yard, especially if I use the battery first on the multi tool edger.  So, how about a 7.5 AH battery option, or bare option like for some other tools?
(Edited)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

I'm confused. Since you already have the mower, why do you need them to come out with a 7.5 or bare version? Just buy the bigger batt. That's still cheaper than a whole kit, if you don't need it.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

btw, there is a bare version of the mower.
i cant find the dual battery 21 polydeck as push mower. its too bad because it has the best rpm and i do not trust their self-propeller system and the lack of local repair option makes it much worse.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,056 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
As far as I know there is only a single batt push.  You don't have to use the SP if you don't want to.  FWIW I have had two SP models for over 3 years and they both work perfectly.  I've never had them in for service.  the mower is light to push, but if you have any hills or tight turns where you can't get behind the mower, the SP is a real boon.  
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Easier answer: The dual batt is a push mower that you can activate the SP when you want to use it.  It is not on all the time, if that makes a difference for you.  
i found this enthusiast ego light commercial user that is having problems with both of his self-propelled mowers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6a5u68jWiI&t=624s
i have no problem with pushing a self-propelled mower, as long as its not giving me drag or resistance if its faulty.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 98,758 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I have the single battery 21" SP Ego mower.  I rarely use the SP feature.  It pushes very easy.

When my wife mows she uses the SP feature.  It ha been working great for 3 years
(Edited)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Don't know what to tell you, everyone I know loves theirs and have no trouble. Every product has clunkers. Most folks only come here when they have an issue, often easily solved. The happy people don't need to come unless they want to help answer questions. You can google complaints about all the platforms and Ego has far less with 10,000s of machines in the market. Their tech and power management is just over all better. You have 90 days to return it. You really can't lose just trying one.
i dont think theres any better options on the market, you dont have to convince me.
But if i run into the same problem, id like to know of a solution.