Is the Power+ 2.0 AMP hour battery powerful enough to power the 21 in self propelled mower? if so for how long?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Looking into buying the 21 in self propelled mower (with 7.5 AMP battery) as well as the 15 in trimmer (with 2.0 AMP battery) and am under a tight budget
Photo of Maxine Dupuis

Maxine Dupuis

• 70 Points

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,738 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Maxine, one of the "best" features of EGO batteries is that they are "cross functional" across all EGO tools.  That said; the 21" SP mower would do better with a 5.0Ah or 7.5Ah battery - as recommended by EGO (see the chart below).

Can you use the 2.0Ah battery with the 21" SP mower, absolutely, but you might have 10 - 15 minute run time or less.  I have never done this before, so I don't have the "exact" number for you.  If you plan to buy the mower with the 7.5Ah battery, you might be able to complete your lawn work with one full charge - depending on the size of your lawn of course.

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes and no.

When the blade slows down, the motor draws more power, but the battery size dictates the max power draw. So when using a smaller battery to cut thick grass the blade will bog down more and the overload protection will trip more easily. In light duty cutting you should see no difference in performance, just runtime.

I was able to use my 2.0 in my 21" mower this weekend for about 10 minutes of medium duty mowing while waiting for my 7.5Ah battery to finish charging. But I wouldn't recommend a 2.0 as your only power source.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,512 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

I have a 20" mower and when I used it with the 1P (2.0/2.5) battery, the perform is dismal (frequently goes into overload protection).  The 20" mower is a 600W motor, and the 21" SP is a 1000W motor.  And the biggest reason why you do not want to use the 1P battery is because you will negatively affect the battery life.  Remember a 2P (4.0/5.0) or 3P (7.5) has 2 parallel strings of batteries, and 3 parallel strings (respectively). So when you run the 1000W motor on a 1P battery pack, you are drawing the power from a smaller subset of cells.  Granted there is overload protection that will limit the mower (or tool being used), but then you're drawing maximum current/power from the battery pack.

Using the car example, the 1P is like a 4-cylinder car, the 2P is like a 8-cylinder car, and the 3P is like a 12-cylinder car; and while the 4-cylinder can move the car, you will add wear and tear to that motor faster than the 12-cylinder.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.