is it okay to charge a batery that is not dead or will it shorten its run time ?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
is it okay to charge a batery that is not dead or will it shorten its run time ? just wondering as i will be moving to a house with a smaller lawn

Photo of mtc1966

mtc1966

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 90,170 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
No damage to run time as Lithium ion batteries do not have a memory

However, if you can get two mows out of it, no need to charge it every time.
Limiting charge cycles can increase the life of your battery.

Photo of Tom

Tom

• 926 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Ive been thinking about this lately as the ego batteries I have are large relative to the workload.

I was thinking of charging them up the day before I plan to use them and then not charging them afterwards (unless completely dead). 

I wish I had the fuel gauge because it seems like keeping them "mid charged" most of the time would be ideal for longevity.  Obviously that won't work for people with large yards that drain the battery, but for me it could work.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Absent the fuel gauge, Ithe rapid charger can give you a good idea of the charge level of a battery. 

Photo of Tom

Tom

Interesting.  

I've always tried to avoid "fast charging" stuff because I worry that the heat given off can't be good for the battery.  Just a gut feeling and while its validated by looking online one is never sure who's info is credible.     Anyway I figured I'd err on the side of caution since I have time to wait for it to charge slowly.

I will have to actually take my rapid charger out of the box and have a look at if it can show the charge level though :) 
(Edited)
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 13,258 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Tom, I have 2 rapid and 1 standard chargers; as soon as you insert the battery, the gauge tells you where your battery life is at.
Photo of mtc1966

mtc1966

I am impressed at how fast the rapid charger works
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I am with you Tom
I use my rapid charger to get my depleted batteries up to approx 30% charge.  I take them off when the meter moves from 25% to 50%

Then I store them at the 30% charge until I will need them and give them a full charge on the standard charger.

It is best practice to store them at 30% charge v full charge.
Photo of Tom

Tom

Thanks all.

When you look at the pricing for these batteries, I want to get a bassinet for mine to sleep in.

Anything I can do that makes me even just feel like Im maxing the life is something I'm happy to do.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Always try to but kits that contain the tool and battery together.  The best value by far.
Photo of mtc1966

mtc1966

thank you
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 13,258 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Our cluster home 1/8 acre can be mow all season on one charge on the 7.5 Ah battery. The HOA mows, but not nearly enough to suit me, so I mow in between their mowings.