inverter does not like LED lamps

• Question
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • In Progress
Just received the inverter. First thing I did is to hook up an led lamp rated at 22watts. Lamp flickers on and off. What is going on?. S
Photo of Peter Bloch

Peter Bloch

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Tom H

Tom H

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I hooked mine up to a 25W LED spotlight and it would only blink.   It moves in mysterious ways but the fans on here are going to tell you it is the best thing ever invented.  
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 6,190 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The inverter is a "square wave" inverter. So it works for for a restive load, or a load that has enough power smoothing capacitors to handle the square waveform. However, a lot of stuff expects a nice sine wave, which requires smaller capacitors, so a lot of LED light bulbs just don't have the extra capacity to smooth out the square wave AC into a clean DC power for the LEDs.

I HAVE been able to successfully run a lamp with a LED bulb off of the inverter. The bulb I tested to work was a "Sylvania 14 W 120V 60 Hz 195 mA  LED14A19/F/827/10YV 2700K 150 Lumens" bulb, so you might try buying a few different LED lightbulbs. (I would suggest trying the "non-dimable" ones first.)

Your best bet to work without trying a lot of different things would be a rechargeable LED worklight with it's own battery. Use the inverter to re-charge that, and the built in charging electronics and battery in the light would provide clean DC to the light part.

(Edited)
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 5,022 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Did you wire a dimmer switch into your led lamp?...Because many 110 dimmer switches are NOT LED compatible
Photo of Peter Bloch

Peter Bloch

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
No dimmer. Today I also tried to run a small three speed electrical fan from the inverter. So dissapointed, only runs at low speed. Such a great concept but.... what a failure. Returning this to Home Depot tommorow. Total waist of my time. 
Photo of giggleherz .

giggleherz .

• 2,004 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
The average joe is not expected to know or care about a square wave vrs sine wave inverter. Most of these sq-wave inverters have fine print stating the cant run certain electronics.