Intermittent problem with self-propelled drive

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

Every once in a while, when I press the lever to start the mower going forward, it will just set there. When this happens, most of the time if I release the lever and press it again it will work fine. Sometimes, If I just wait and don’t release the lever, the mower will finally take off after 10 or 15 seconds. A couple of times I’ve had to move the speed control lever up and back and then it will take off. 99% of the time it works fine. The previous 2 times I mowed my yard it worked perfect. Then when I mowed today it acted up twice.  I’m just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue. I could live with this if it didn’t get any worse but I’m still within my 90-day window for returning it to Home Depot and feel like I probably better exchange it even though that is a hassle. At the same time I purchased this mower, I bought a 2nd EGO 21SP mower to use at my son’s house and it does not have this issue.
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

• 694 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,770 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I think you answered your own question.  As you have a comparison model at your son's you know there is a slight delay to engage the SP, but not 10 seconds.  And as you get varying results on your mower it certainly sounds like a short or bad connections somewhere.

Go exchange it for a new one.  You will be happy you did a year from now. 

I have not heard of anyone with a condition like this, but I have heard of people with the SP stopping to work completely.

I have the 21" SP and have not had any problems.  If my SP was working correctly on an intermittent basis, I would be at HD exchanging it.
Photo of AlexSB

AlexSB

• 60 Points
I am having a similar issue, it is randomly responsive when I engage the SP.  Sometimes it activates and sometimes it stops after a few seconds.  This is my second SP lawn mower that started doing this.  Making me very uneasy about this product.  Going to call EGO tomorrow, but more than likely I am returning this.  Will be sad if I have to do that, was very hopeful with this product, and I love the blower, trimmer and the mowing function works great just not the SP.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

• 694 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I ended up returning mine because of my SP issue that started this thread. I didn't exchange it for another one, as I wanted to wait and see the steel deck model before making a decision. But still no sign of the new model being for sale anywhere. The longer I wait, and the more issues I read about, I'm getting a little nervous about buying another EGO mower.
Photo of Fred

Fred

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The problem stated below IS with the steel deck 20" model. Very random and usually after a clockwise turn. The biggest issue i have with this problem is that it can be a nut cruncher if i go and the mower does not. Yes it's happened!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,770 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Fred
Is it possible you are rolling one of the wheels backwards (can happen when making a very tight turn on just the back wheels) and thus engaging the safety mechanism that locks the wheels to prevent a back roll of the mower ?
Photo of Fred

Fred

Perhaps a ratcheting device in one drive wheel sticking? Lawnboy's used this system on a few mid 80's self propelled models to make turns easier.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,272 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Jim! A second or two delay is the result of a safety mechanism designed to prevent excessive straining of the motor at the first moment of operation. However, what you've described seems like a different story. Please give us a call and we can figure this out together: 1-855-346-5656.
Photo of Fred

Fred

just got my ego lm2020. does the same thing, usually after turning around in a clockwise direction. i can hear drive motor running but no engagement.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Earlier this mowing season, my 21SP  acted up on and off for about a 1/2 an hour.  It wouldn't move when I'd press the lever.  After a while it decided on it's own to start working again.  I didn't do a thing to fix it.  Just random failure.
Photo of Karen Albracht

Karen Albracht

• 60 Points
I'm so bummed out.  :(  My mower won't work today.  Just won't come on.  It's not a battery problem, the battery is fully charged.  It's not an issue with the arms not being fully extended, they are.  It's not even a problem from the known-to-malfunction original clamps because I just replaced them with the new ones sent to me.  
Early July 2017 was the first time it wouldn't work, now about a month later, again it will not operate (though it did beautifully in-between those times). I know it's summer but I have a small yard and the unit cannot possibly overheat under these circumstances.  However, perhaps it could if the thermostat is a goner.  Customer service told me it might need to go in for repair and that would take six weeks!  :(  
Does anyone in this community have other advice?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.