Are batteries interchangeable?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Will the leaf blowers ever be adaptable to the larger mower battery?
I LOVE the mower and would like to try the blower, but after reading too many reviews regarding lack of power in the blower I'll wait. It seems like a no-brainer to make the larger battery interchangeable rather than having to buy 2 batteries and two chargers.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • neutral

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
All of the batteries and chargers ARE interchangeable, that is one of the best things about having multiple tools and batteries!

Now whether you want to lug around the size and weight of the 7.5Ah battery, that is up to you. I don't like using the 4.0Ah battery on my handheld tools for very long, but I'm sure it can be done if that's important to you.

Personally, I think the 5.0Ah battery is probably the best balance of extended run time and manageable size/weight, as it is the same as my 4.0Ah battery but runs for 25% longer.
Photo of Eric  From

Eric From

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
How is the string dispatched on trimmer and can you add different heads to trimmer ?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Eric - bump feed, and no.

There are several discussions on the board that go into more detail if you want to search around a bit. :-)
Photo of Eric  From

Eric From

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Do you have to wind your own line onto spool ?
(Edited)
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
You can purchase pre-loaded spools or you can wind your own line onto the spool.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Official Response
Donald, as David said, all Ego batteries are compatible with all tools and all chargers.  You can put the smallest battery (2.0Ah) in the biggest tool (mower) and it works just fine, and vice versa.  You just need to decide how much weight you're willing to handle.

Regarding your comment on the blower lacking power, I "think" what you're referring to is the short run-time when used with the included 2.0Ah battery and with liberal use of the highest Turbo output mode.

Power from the blower is the same regardless which battery you choose, only the run-time will change based on the battery capacity.  I.E., the 4.0Ah pack should run the blower for about twice as long as the 2.0Ah pack, and the 7.5Ah pack will run the blower until your arm is about ready to fall off. :-)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Donald another part of your question was about chargers. Since all EGO batteries are interchangeable, you only need one charger regardless of what battery you choose. Also, you can buy just the battery without buying a second charger.
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I have a total of 3 batteries and 3 chargers but have only ever used the rapid charger that came with the mower.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I've had no issues using only the rapid charger, also.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I actually use the standard "slow" charger or all charging. Even at 40 minutes for the 2Ah and 80 minutes for the 4Ah battery, the "slow" charger is still an extremely fast charge, faster than most of the competition too.

Since my packs are rarely completely depleted when I charge them, the time to charge is significantly less. Charging the 4Ah pack usually takes less than 40 minutes for me since it's only about half depleted after I cut.

Having said that, anyone requiring continuous power consecutively from more than two packs will choose the fast charger. One of the MAJOR advantages of the Ego battery system; they charge faster than you can deplete them! :-)
Photo of Bob Cosgrove

Bob Cosgrove

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled batteries.

are the batteries inter changeable between models
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Interchangeable battery ..

Thank you all for straightening me out on the interchangeable battery question.
Apparently I received faulty information some time ago as I was not aware the different batteries were TOTALLY interchangeable with EVERY EGO tool.
Guess it's time to go purchase the leaf blower now!!!
Thanks again!
Photo of Bruce

Bruce

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Will the battery that came with my trimmer also work on a lawnmower should I purc....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.