Info on the 15" trimmers. Which is best?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
I am looking @ purchasing the 15" trimmer. I have an acre & it will be used most of the time for trimming/edging. Can you recommend which 15" trimmer would do the job? 5.0 or 2.5? And any other feedback that might be helpful, such as weight difference. Thanks !
Photo of tacomageorge

tacomageorge

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of tacomageorge

tacomageorge

Oh...  I wish there was a good "Compare" on the website!
Photo of Tony Hooker

Tony Hooker

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I recently got the one with the 2.5 battery, and I was able to do a solid 35-40 minutes of trimming and it did not run out. It had 1/4 bars left when I placed it on the charger.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You have a large property, but do you have lots of trees, gardens, walkways etc. that need trimming as well?

Generally speaking, most people report somewhere around 30-45 minutes of trimming from the 15" trimmer and a 2.5Ah battery. It's possible to drain the battery faster if you're working it hard the whole time, think overgrown weeds along a really long fence.

As far as straight vs. hinge shaft, I have the straight shaft model and it's great, others with the hinged shaft report that it's very sturdy once bolted together. Once you have it set up I'm not sure it matters either way as the hinge is not intended to be used for storage.

If you have a need for an edger and/or a pole saw as well as a string trimmer, you may wish to consider the new multi-tool that will be launching soon.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Oh, and I haven't used the Rapid Reload head, it apparently works well. The standard head bump feeds great, and the RR head is likely similar.
(Edited)
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The RR head is the best $30 you will spend, the bump advance takes a lot less force than the old style.
(Edited)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
TE, you are probably correct in the RR head.  But I have absolutely "no issues" with my old standard "bump head."  This head works well for me every time I use my trimmer, so I will save the $30 and put that towards my "multi-heads" that is coming ... :-)
Photo of tacomageorge

tacomageorge

Thank you both for the input!  I've cleared most of the acre, so limited trimming now.  Just the fence line & around the house/walkway.  Can you tell me about how heavy it is?  Will I need to rig up a shoulder strap for it?
Thanks again
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I find it very easy to use with the 2.5Ah battery without a shoulder strap. The strap might be useful for longer sessions (my yard is small), or if you decide to use one of the larger batteries.

Ego makes a shoulder strap for the trimmer if you decide you need it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Your local Home Depot likely has a 15" trimmer on display if you'd like to get a feel for it, and they may even have the different battery sizes to try out for weight (from display model tools).

Hopefully they have the hinge bolted together on the display model, unlike my local HD.
Photo of Tony Hooker

Tony Hooker

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would definitely recommend a strap. Without, My arm was hurting after a few minutes - With it, it was no problem at all, could have carried it around all day long.

HD carries at least a couple different types in the $10-15 range, or you can get the Ego one for $20, or rig something up yourself. Just try to fasten it near the center of gravity with the battery in.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Funny, I was just checking the weight of the 15-inch trimmer yesterday because I was wanting to know how it would compare with the upcoming multi-tool with the 15-inch trimmer attachment.

The 15-inch trimmer (which I bought with the 2.0 Ah battery two years ago) with a 2.5 Ah battery comes in a hair under 12 pounds. With the 5.0 Ah battery it's a little over 14 pounds.

With the 2.0 Ah battery I've never felt the need for a strap. I'm an old(er) fart with about a third of an acre.

If you have other tool needs you might want to wait for the multi-tool, although it's likely to be pricier and heavier because it has a more powerful motor (2,000 watts) and solid steel drive shaft and transmission on the attachments. Available accessories include the string trimmer head, bladed edger and 10-inch pole saw, plus a 31-inch extension for the pole saw. Next year we could see a brush cutter attachment, which is coming out in other countries this year.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Ken, I too own the 15" trimmer with a 2.0Ah battery.  And to date, I never had the "urgent" need for a shoulder strap.  That said; however, if I use my 5.0Ah battery, then maybe I might consider the shoulder strap.  This tool is well balanced, but I can see how someone with a "huge" yard would get arm & shoulder fatigue.

(a)Typical Engineer

I have both the split shaft and the solid shaft; between the two I prefer to solid shaft as it's slightly less weight, and it's simpler design has less failure points (e.g. bolts loosening and falling out).  Also, if you're a 7' tall gorilla with orangutan arms, the solid shaft would allow you to move the handle lower vs. the split which has a definitely stop point.

Between the 2.5AH and 5.0AH batteries, even if you're strong enough to hold the 5.0AH for the entire duration, it's still a matter of unnecessary fatigue.  One scenario I could think of needing the 5.0 is that you wanted to trim/edge your entire perimeter, and you cannot do it on a 2.5AH without having to "return to base".

Oh, and buy the bump head version!

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Well, they're all bump heads. I assume you mean the new rapid-reload head version, which is indeed awesome!

(a)Typical Engineer

Yes, I meant the Rapid Reload head (not the original Bump head).

(Edited)
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,272 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Photo of tacomageorge

tacomageorge

I'm finally getting back online.  Thank you all!  I have to mow tonight before the rain comes, so may not make it to HD today.  I do plan on getting one this week though.  I think you all have convinced me for the 15" RR straight.  I think i'll try it w/ the 2.5 & see how far I get.  If I need to, I'll go buy another battery.  Thanks!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Or another tool with battery. Much better value for your dollas
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The 16" chainsaw kit comes with the 5Ah battery and is only $80 more than the battery alone. I know what I'd do. ;-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Blue, are you referring to the 15" trimmer? You indicated chainsaw, when the post is about the string trimmer.
Photo of tacomageorge

tacomageorge

Excellent idea for another tool!  Don't need another chainsaw, but I could use a new blower. :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
David. He is talking about getting another battery, but getting the chainsaw and battery is a better deal. That was blues point I believe.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Got it, thanks.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Bingo! :-)
Photo of Geoff Hall

Geoff Hall

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Differences Between 15” String Trimmer Models - Durability, Ergonomics, Improveme....

I’m looking at acquiring a 15” string trimmer but seek clarification on the models available regarding durability, ergonomics and gerrational improvements.

The main differences I notice between the models are standard vs. rapid reload head and straight shaft vs. split shaft.

I understand the convenience of both a rapid reload head and split shaft but are they just as durable and reliable as a standard load head and straight shaft?

Are there any other differences I should know about between the models available such as ergonomics and generational improvements?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

The split shaft is principally to make it fit in a smaller box for shipping. Once you buy it, it bolts together permanently and is very robust.

The rapid reload head is new, but what little I've used it, it seems very solidly made. Tine will tell. I think the fact that I don't have to take it apart every time I need to reload string will make it more durable.

Apart from those two things, there really is no generational difference. The 15-inch trimmer is otherwise the same as it was when it was introduced two years ago.

But be aware, Ego is about to release a new multi-tool that includes a 15-inch trimmer attachment as an option. It's a completely new design, with a 2,000-watt motor in the handle and a solid drive shaft to the trimmer head.