Indoor power tools (e.g. vacuum cleaner)

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Hand-held vacuum / shop vacuum

These powerful little (relative to the equipment, anyway) batteries were obviously designed to accommodate outdoor working conditions, but I wonder if eGo isn't passing up an opportunity with indoor tools as well.  The battery is too bulky for something like a power drill, but I can easily imagine a vacuum cleaner designed to use the 56V power source that could be so much more practical than the cordless vacuums I've seen to this point (even "the best" are all fairly anemic, with short run-times and extremely long charging times).  Even something as mundane as a high-lumen work light that could run for many hours without having to find an outlet could be a great additional product.
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 496 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
What a great idea!  We'll definitely mention that for potential future designs.  Thanks for your idea!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,780 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think Ego has a great opportunity to take out shark, Dyson, and other brands who make cordless vacuum cleaners. if you were to make a cordless vacuum that is like the Dyson DC59, I think it would dominate the industry. Plus it would let me buy more batteries as my wife would need some too to use the vacuum, if it was quiet that would be an added benefit.
Photo of wendell

wendell

• 72 Points
I would absolutely buy an indoor vacuum that was cordless and had ego power. I have multiple batteries and could add time. Different power settings and battery sizes would be sufficient.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,418 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Honestly, I don't want EGO becoming a black and decker. Too big too fast. Customer service would no longer be personable. The last thing I want to get is a darned call center drone from India.

Now the vacuum idea has merit. I would like a canister type, light and powerful. Safe enough to carry outside and vacuum my cars. Almost a shop vac style. Dyson is over priced and over rated. Our 29.00 cheap eureka canister has lasted 3 years of heavy abuse, indoor and outdoor. We have all hardwood floors, and it does great. We don't like the cord. If EGO could design one that the price is justified by the value, then we have something here.

I don't like to put all of my eggs into one basket. I like many brands. But so far EGO has proved worthy of my hard earned money and loyalty. I really like this idea.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Absolutely!  We have a central vac, high end Beam unit, and it works great but is a PITA to use, dragging that heavy hose around all the time.  So many companies offer "Cyclone" style bagless vacuums now, I would think the patents are easily navigated around.  Ego could rock the market with a real powerhouse vacuum, with a real power head.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,068 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
So this is the other place you saw the vacuum idea. Hm. not bad. Actually, go back to my little backpack battery thing and it can solve this vacuum thing. All you'd need to do is to plug in one of the two 120V 60Hz AC plugs into a corded vacuum and maybe take off the cord and put it in the backpack or a pocket of the backpack or something. I think I might draw up a few schematics. We'll see how the clock treats me over the next few days, see if I can pull that off.
Photo of SPNorth

SPNorth

• 608 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I was using my bagless vacuum (corded) today and thought it would be so nice to use my EGO 4Ah 56V battery from my mower instead of being stuck to an outlet.
Photo of Rob Morin

Rob Morin

• 98 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Vacuum cleaner ?.

Are there any plans at Ego to build a small house
hold vacuum cleaner? I think this would be the ideal item for quick once over vacuuming of stairways and smaller areas where larger vacuums just don't fit.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,398 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I've felt strongly about a shop vac or vacuum cleaner.  Sure there is Dyson, Hoover and others in the battery segment, but the vacuums simply do not "suck".  They use smaller batteries and have mediocre power at best.  Even though they probably won't ever hit this market segment, at least we can dream.
Photo of Eric  From

Eric From

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes I would definitely purchase an upright or wet vac type of vacuum cleaner. I love the mower and getting ready to do the blower.
Photo of Glen

Glen

• 2,136 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
A small, powerful, self contained shop vac would be great for vacuuming out the car. Perhaps I'm getting lazy but it's more and more of a hassle to drag the extension cord and my wall mounted shop vac out just to vacuum the floor mats. A fully portable vac would be awesome!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Join the club Glen.  I don't clean the cars as much because of dragging cords and extension cords.  It would be a God send to have a strong battery powered shop vac.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Amen!!!!!
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

I just clean the car by blowing everything out the doors and the back. I don't even bother with the vacuum.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That might just be something worth giving a try! I never thought about that, but I'm always worried when dusting off my dash... my car has "piano black" trim around the radio and it shows scratches easily. I've avoided wiping it for that very reason, choosing instead to "dust" it lightly with the cloth first, then a light wipe with a damp cloth just to finish up.

A 90 mph gust from a certain blower would likely remove most of that dust with zero contact and zero scratches. Hmmm...
Photo of Eric  From

Eric From

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I want one for the house-now
Photo of Glen

Glen

As I look at different shop vacs, one feature I'd really like is an integrated dust pan feature at the base.
Photo of paul pohopien

paul pohopien

• 128 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would buy this today. Please build a small shop vac, please!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,780 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Small? Noo. Go huge. Like dust collector sized. (But small in actual size) like 2000 watts powerful
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I still don't understand why there isn't a powerful battery powered shop vac.  Talk about a useful item!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I know Makita makes one, but it's spendy and runs at reduced power on batteries (uses wall power to run 100%):
Photo of DJ

DJ

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Got to agree, I was looking at the specs for a cordless vacuum and found this about the run time.

"

A: 
Hi it's Vince with Dyson. The DC44 is designed to run for 20 minutes on normal power and 8 minutes on max power. Removing the power floor tools will extend the run time of this unit slightly. We will be happy to provide additional details for the DC44 via email at askdysonus@dyson.com.

Best wishes,

Vince

"

That's a joke compared to the run times with EGO.

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Not really, the battery is quite small and the vacuum is light.  There lies the problem.  I would much rather have a heavier vacuum with powerful suction.  These crop of cordless vacuums are only good for general spot cleaning of wood floors.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Typing similar thoughts at the same time, again! :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I was looking at Dyson vacuums the other day at Lowes, and their battery packs are extremely small and, as far as I can tell, non-removable. So when your 8-20 min session is over you have no choice but to wait for the UNIT to recharge.

First off, even with the Ego 2Ah battery pack, I would expect the usable run times to be about double what Dyson is currently getting. Much more with larger Ego packs.

Second, if you want to keep the tool light, you can just use 2Ah packs and swap them as they deplete. No waiting for the charger.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,072 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, a good interior cleaning of a minivan or SUV takes at least 10 minutes, probably 20 if you use a crevice tool to clean around and under car seats and get all the ground up goldfish and animal crackers up. And I usually like to do both cars at the same time.

Any cordless shop vac really has to provide a minimum of 30 minutes of run time on high/turbo if it doesn't have swappable batteries. And a battery that size would probably make the unit so heavy and bulky that swapping smaller batteries would be preferable anyway. So really it's about the perfect application for Ego batteries.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

And Mr. Reality Check hits it out of the park  :)

I guess that means that Snow Blower people and Edger people can agree on something.

Photo of Glen

Glen

I could live with ~20 minutes for full-power (plug-in equivalent) usage. My thinking is that because it's portable, I would use it more often to vacuum the cars so they won't need a "thorough" vacuum every time. I also have multiple batteries now so I can charge while vacuuming anyway.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The snow blower and edger people already do agree on something--we don't want snow on our driveways or sidewalks.  Just some of us are smart enough to live where we almost never see snow while others prefer to do battle with it on a daily basis all winter long.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Grand slam, DC.

I've never felt so dumb before... the answer is SO simple! Just shack up with SCDC! Instead of paying rent I can just manually edge his property. Deal!!!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Blue, only if you can cook and stay away from my wife  ;-).

My god we can get off of subject quickly.

On subject.  Do we all want a shop vac, or maybe a canister home vac that we can carry out and do our cars with?  I say full power canister vac for the home.  That would be awesome.

Photo of Glen

Glen

I'd prefer a portable and powerful shop vac type of machine. Self contained as much as possible. A dustpan feature built into the base would be awesome.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Well I don't think most shop vacs are really weatherproof, just sort of ruggedized to some extent. I think a canister unit could be sold as either an outdoor shop vac bundle or indoor canister vac bundle. And then you could buy a kit to convert one to the other.

One key difference would be the wheels, so would need two bases for the vac unit to clip into. Sort of like what Shark already has:

Then you need powered interior accessories that can can connect to both power and the shop vac hose:

A multi-function vac unit with powered accessories wouldn't be a completely new concept, but having the unit be ruggedized and garage-friendly, and of course battery-powered would be pretty revolutionary. And it would be a nice way for Ego to begin bridging the gap between outdoor power tools and indoor cordless appliances.
Photo of Glen

Glen

I think simplicity will be better. When a tool tries to do too many things, it ends up not doing anything particularly well. I say build a simple, compact shop vac with lots of power and as long a battery life as possible.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I can BBQ, does that count? :-)

Here's my current shop vac, a Ridgid model. It's not the most powerful, but it's super handy:

A battery version of this would be just about right.
Photo of thomas1122

thomas1122

• 60 Points

this is may vac', Just a best robotic vacuum. 
visit my blog
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Cool, looks like it has a swiffer built on the front.  We also have hardwood floors, not nice looking like those though!  Man those are some tight seems.  I tried one of the robotic once but it just kicks the dirt around.  No suction, just sweepers.  Doesn't get between the cracks as well either.  

I hope in the next 10 years they make one that will roam the whole house with a lot of suction power, then dock and charge.  Repeat once daily.
Photo of Randy Morris

Randy Morris

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
After mowing through 2 foot grass today with my new Ego, my wife said I wonder if they're gonna make vacuums. Glad to see others feel the same way. We currently use a Kirby, and if an Ego self-propelled (assisted) vacuum were to appear on the market, I'm sure the 5 amp battery that was included with the mower could do my entire house 2 or 3 times. Designing a compartment for that big battery could be interesting though. No more draggin' wires across the house.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I'm thinking a canister type to allow using all size batteries.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Wonder if Shark has a patent on the detachable motor that either attaches to the stick like an upright or sits on a rolling cart like a canister. By far the best and most versatile vacuum I've ever used.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Neat concept, but damn that a big item.  With everything it takes up a lot of room  :*(
Photo of Pope

Pope

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We've been using a crappy Ryobi-branded 18V portable to do the corners, stairs, and spot clean.  Really I would like something that had the new-generation 52v power, a much bigger tank, a long snoot so I can stand and do this activity, and maybe a couple of brushes.  The old Ryobi line works wonky (vibration, low efficiency, etc.) but it does works.  I don't want a canister...to me it falls into the category of a 'corded' product if one must drag the thing around.  Even with it heavier, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and we'd both enjoy using it because it would be faster, hold more, and we wouldn't have to stoop over to use it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,398 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Dyson style, but with a little more power and a lot more run time. :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,358 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You like it to suck well, don't you.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The inverse relationship we typically share with vacuums... more suck = better :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Yeah, I just love that concept. EGO needs to do the shopvac thing, and it better suck.
(Edited)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

They should make one that sucks as much as the Shark does.  BTW, I choose Shark over Dyson every day.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Shark doesn't appear to make a cordless house vacuum like the Dyson. I want cordless! :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I want a small but powerful cordless shop vac for house and cars!  Be damned everything else.  lol.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Oh yeah? Well I want BOTH!

Take that! :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

God you EGO customers are fussy.  :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That's

To you! :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Well, that may be true, but this guy is more like me.  Amazingly so.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ArUG/safeauto-terrible-quotes-impatience-is-a-virtue
Photo of Bret Jones

Bret Jones

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please, Please, make a vacuum.  I would buy it immediately.
Photo of Tom Meyers

Tom Meyers

• 892 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
"I want a small but powerful cordless shop vac for house and cars! "
Heh, We all do !
Vacuums are power hungry devices.
let's say 120vac, idle 6A and 12A peak.
Using a 5Amp battery gives 20min and 10min.
Using a 7.5 gives 30 and 15.
Sears sells a plug in with the right size and dimensions:
Craftsman Ultra-Quiet 4 Gallon
For just over $80
So if you already have a 5 or 7.5 it would work out.
If you have to get the charger and battery as well, it's just not cost effective.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I checked the power consumption of my Beam central vac and was surprised to see it pulling nearly 1800W! No wonder it pumps out so much heat!

EDIT: That's just the main canister, the power head plugs in separately.
(Edited)
Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

• 2,884 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Where is that cordless vac? An EGO Kirby. My wife is jealous of my mower..

In door floor vacuum with attachments, like a Kirby.  dual power/speed.  Better a vacuum power head(?) that can be attached to a traditional floor vacuum or a wet dry car vacuum.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.