In Virginia is there an authorized repair center for the LM2100 lawnmowers?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Answered
I just now spoke the tool rental center service tech at a Home Depot. He told me other than checking the battery, he'll do no more in terms of repairs and instead ship the lawnmower to a repair center in Georgia. Does anyone have any other experience as regards repairs?
Photo of Bill Boyd

Bill Boyd

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
From various posts, Home Depot varies as to competency on repairs and typically it's just minor repairs they can handle. Also The GA location may be the center where Home Depot sends for repairs. Suggest checking with your local professional lawn care shops or asking customer service at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656). Call early during the workday to avoid long waits.
Photo of Bill Boyd

Bill Boyd

After considering two youtube posts presenting possible solutions to the problem I'd experienced, I phoned the help desk at EGO hitting an apparently long queue. Opting to key in my phone number to request a call-back, that call-back came within a couple of hours. The tech had me do a few diagnostic tests of sort (e.g., trying to turn on the head-lights--nope, no headlight), after I went through the tests, providing feedback, the tech asked me to hold as she needed to check with the duty supervisor. Within two minutes, the tech was telling me where possible repairs conceivably could be had in VA; she mentioned Home Depots that have tool-rental, a few area Ace Hardwares, and an EGO-authorized lawnmower repair company to the north of Arlington. I phoned two Home Depots and the Aces, basically getting the same response: more or less, if they cannot quickly diagnose the problem, they'd ship the EGO lawnmower to GA. But such was not the case with the authorized lawnmower repair company to the north. Speaking to Nick, he indicated that they are both an authorized dealer and repair service and have much experience with EGO mowers; he cautioned me that they'd not begin to work on our machine for about two weeks. I asked if he'd seen this problem before. "Yes," he responded, "once." I then asked about the likelihood of being able to make the repair. He said if he could not fairly easily make the repair, EGO would probably authorize getting me a new mower, provided my machine is under warranty. To begin the diagnosis, that shop needed the date we purchased the EGO and a copy of the sales receipt (basically confirmation that the machine purchased in 2018 is under warranty)--two items the EGO tech had not informed me about.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 96,954 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That is the way it should work.  The HD repair system is sorely lacking.
Photo of Bill Boyd

Bill Boyd

After reportedly EGO required the NOVA EGO authorized repair service to spend about 4 hours attempting to diagnose the mower's inability to start, EGO finally relented and agreed to send me a NEW mower. By the say, per my contact at the repair service, the problem appeared to be that the internal mother-board was unable to communicate with the starter KEY and pull handle. So, finally August 11, I received the new mower in the usual box that noted along with many other particulars "5 Year Warranty," with a smaller note "limited, see manual." After unboxing and grabbing the paperwork, I proceeded to register this new machine. But the registration called for me to indicate date of purchase and where I purchase it; neither, of course, applies, as this was the replacement that was shipped from Chico, CA. So, I entered "Chervon North America, Inc., Chico, CA" and "August 11, 2019." Then first opportunity, I phoned EGO to inquire about my registration. The service rep reviewed what I'd entered then edited the registration putting in "Home Depot" and "August 2, 2018," where and when I purchased the dead mower. I then inquired about the warranty and learned from the rep that "5 years" pertains only to the original mower and not machine they sent replacing the original. I found that to be quite odd and responded that the machine I'd just received was new and therefore "Shouldn't the warranty cover 5 years for the new machine?" Rep told me "No, only the original--that is EGO policy." I then inquired whom I might talk to about such an application of their policy. Yesterday, another rep phoned to update me about the policy--same story. I then indicated my dis-satisfaction while noting that degree of satisfaction varies according to expectations and since the box indicated "5 Years," my expectation was high but learning of the policy my satisfaction is quite low. The rep, of course, attempted to assure me that the machine would surely last well beyond the warranty period. "Do you offer extended warranties?," I inquired. "No." At that point, I indicated I would bring my consternation to the attention of this community forum. I might add that I do not expect to get something for nothing; but my expectation is that a warranty usually the defines more or less what the manufacturer considers to be the likely life of the machine. Page 52 of their manual notes "...warranties..are limited to five years from the date of purchase..."; the manual tells us nothing about a warranty on replacement machines. The packing slip for the new machine also noted, "SALES ORDER# SH0802201901"; I infer that this "sale" implies a full 5-year warranty.

How would you all handle this?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 96,954 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes the warranty starts on the day of your purchase.  You do not get a new warranty if your mower is repaired or replaced as part of the warranty you purchased with the mower 8/2/18.

You are in better situation than you started.  You have a new mower and the balance of your warranty.

This in common / normal warranty coverage.  I have never heard of a new warranty being issued with a replacement product.

I would say Ego honored their warranty and did right by you.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 64,836 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
^^^Agree with all of this. I was about to say the same.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,236 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
EGO fulfilled their obligations and if you think about it, it's fair to the consumer and themselves. Otherwise, people could literally get unlimited replacements for nothing every few years. You're being greedy at this point.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 72,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I don't know of any company that resets the clock to zero on warranties after a warranty repair. None.

I recently had to have a very expensive camera lens repaired under warranty and the warranty period from Nikon remains from "the original date of purchase." It's the same thing with cars and household appliances.

You have a brand new mower and the remainder of your warranty. It's a good day to be you.
Photo of Bill Boyd

Bill Boyd

Thank you, all, for your considered input. BB