I'm trying to decide between the LM 2101 and the LM 2102SP.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
I'm looking to buy my first electric lawnmower, and I'm trying to decide between the LM 2101 and the LM 2102SP. My yard is pretty much flat, under a 1/4 acre, and though I haven't really timed it, I think it usually took about 30-35 minutes to mow it this last summer. Which would model would work best for my yard with those parameters, and would the smaller 5.0A battery give me enough run time if I chose the 2101, or would it be better to have the bigger 7.5A battery? I've also heard about the 2102SP having a better "high lift" blade? Do both models have that now, or just the 2102SP?
Photo of dk cromwell

dk cromwell

• 514 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,740 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm not sure the self propelled comes with the high lift blade standard. I think it's still an accessory for all the 21" mowers.
Regarding run time. I have the 21" push model (2101) and I get anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour of run time with my 5 ah battery. Note, my grass isn't really tough to mow so that may be a contributor. Plus keeping the blade sharp helps a lot. I keep the height setting at 2 and it cuts pretty evenly and has good suction. Moving up to 3 or higher and suction gets weaker for sure. Plus that $399 price for the 2101 with 5ah battery is a great deal right now.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,028 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The high lift blade is an accessory and will work on any 21 Ego mower.  It does not come with any mower but is sold separately. 

The 5.0 should have more than enough juice for 1/4 acre lot.  I have the SP an do not use it much because the mower is easy to push and maneuver.  I have a 1/2 acre+ lot and can finish it with a 5.0 except on tough days (extra long or damp or both when I have let it go too long).

Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

• 798 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I bought the LM2101 2 weeks ago. I got the high lift blade on Amazon for $22. I balanced and sharpened both blades using an Oregon 42-047 balancer, the blade that came with the mower was pretty far off . I ran the mower with both in the driveway and the HL blade was a good bit louder. i also have about 1/4 acre. I thought about getting the SP for the 7.5Ah battery but I'm not a big fan of self propelled mowers.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Whichever mower you get, the high-lift blade which I do believe is sold separately, will greatly improve cut quality (no more stringers -- blades of uncut grass) and mulching ability.  I highly recommend getting it.
Photo of Howard Hoffman

Howard Hoffman

• 842 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Definitely the high lift blade improves the performance 100%. But deciding factors on the selection on the mower takes into play. Like will you use your has a mower as a mulching mower, or would you catch your grass at times.
What kind of grass are mowing, how many days do you wait in between cuts. I have a 56 volt 7.5 ah battery self propelled. I live in South Florida have St Augustine grass, I catch my grass. I cut 7-10 days depending on the season, and never cut my grass in the morning because of morning dew. The mower does not like garden hoses, so I use my blower to clean the grass from underneath. Then wipe it down with a damp sponge. It’s a great mower!
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,522 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

If you have the same malady as I do, you need to look forward and get the self propelled.

It's a terrible malady, it's called aging.....every year I seem to keep getting older.

And, tho I liked it, I was never completely satisfied with the mower until I got the High Lift Blade. 

Howard is correct, it improved the capabilities 100%. 

And don't buy the "only for bagging" - I makes it mulch about 1000% better.

(Edited)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It seems to finally be in stock in many places and is generally being sold for a bit over $20.
(Edited)
Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

• 798 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This is what I was wondering about. I just bought a lm2101 and I got a HL blade from Amazon. I sharpened and balanced with and awaiting the first cut if the year ( snow coming later...) I'm going to try the original blade for the 1st cut then the HL blade for the 2nd and compare cut and battery run time. I always use the mower in mulching mode.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,522 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Oh, and how can it mulch 1000% better?  Before the HL Blade it wouldn't pick up anything off the ground.

It now has lift.