If the 21SP had a blade speed control, would it help it's vacuuming ability if set to higher-than-normal?

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
I know the motor speeds up when it senses a drag on the blade.  If the user had a way to increase the speed manually, might that greatly improve the vacuuming ability?  Battery would take a hit, but I'd be OK with 1/2 life if it helped the mower lift the grass (bent grass from the wheels doesn't get mowed evenly on the next pass) and pick up small debris.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Dave, we don't have plans to allow the user to increase the motor speed manually but we'll keep this in mind for the future.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ok
Photo of Tim Krehbiel

Tim Krehbiel

• 992 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I doubt that would solve the problem anyways.  The stock blade has so little pitch, you could spin it at light speed and it still wouldn't move much air. I'm sure it would help a little, but it doesn't solve the root of the problem.  

Fortunately, a new blade is coming!  
Photo of joe

joe

• 996 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Disclaimer: I am not an engineer, but I play one on TV.
I think more suction/vacuum can be created by decreasing the deck's distance from the ground. I will be experimenting with a flexible lower shroud around the bottom edge of the mower. I will attach strips of rubber roofing material to close/reduce the gap between the deck and the ground, creating higher airflow. Wish me luck.
Photo of Tim Krehbiel

Tim Krehbiel

As luck would have it, I AM an engineer, and I think that's a good idea. So good luck :)

I noticed as soon as I flipped the ego over, how low in the deck the blade sits.  most other mowers I have seen have 1/2" to 1" of steel deck below the blade, so the blade is recessed upwards into the deck a little.

The ego, on the other hand, has the blade almost flush with the bottom of the deck. Without testing, I don't know how that affects vacuum, but extending the deck would certainly be worth a shot.  

It also seems like it might improve safety, if you're dumb enough to run over your own foot.  With the ego, you just have to run over it to hit the blade. With other mowers, you actually have to insert your foot up into the deck.  Again, both are dumb, but accidents happen.  
Photo of joe

joe

• 996 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Show off..... ;-)
Photo of Tim Krehbiel

Tim Krehbiel

Hey, I never said I was a good engineer!  I just know enough to be dangerous.