Idea for Mower - Add the Snow Blower power control

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
I find that the automatic power control for the 21" Lawn Mower is not responsive enough to hit the spikes in the hight of the lawn. It would be nice to have the ability to manually override the power level of the mower. Having just purchased the Snow Blower, I see how easy it would be to control the speed as this unit has a control arm. Only improvement to the design would be to have the control bar have the automatic setting (at the top of slider) and then as you slide it down, it would be at the highest power level reducing down to the lowest.
Photo of Tdragoli

Tdragoli

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of brinox

brinox

• 682 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I don't think having a manual control of the power is an advantageous control point for a consumer-oriented lawn mower.  Right now the brushless design of EGO's mowers apply the minimum amount of power to spin up the blades to its designed RPM, and then pulls more power accordingly when the landscaping increases the resistance to maintain that RPM.  Having a "throttle" control will only give you more battery use when you aren't mowing grass, say when you're walking the mower across the driveway.  In that case, its probably best if you just let the mower turn off.  Likewise, spinning the blades slower when you forget to turn the throttle back up creates a situation where you're giving your grass a lesser quality cut.

The reason the snow blower has this function is because there may be cases where you don't want to throw snow onto windows or the side of your house.  Turning down the power achieves this.

If you're mowing vegetation that's testing the limits of the mower's capabilities, its not exactly a matter of the automaticity of the mower increasing its power.  Rather, these areas you're talking about may be too much for the mower in how you mow it.  I'd say you need to approach these areas with a little more caution and strategy, vis a vis try mowing these problem areas slower and/or chew off less per stripe that you're mowing.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
They are brushed motors. Not brushless. For the mowers.
Photo of brinox

brinox

Oh, my apologies.  Thanks for pointing that out!  However, the brushed motors still function in the same way in that they pull more power from the battery when necessary, correct?
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yep! :-)
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

• 1,544 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I think it would absolutely be advantageous. That's part of why I returned my mower. It would kick in about 3-4 feet past where it gets thick. I would be happy to sacrifice battery life for this. Don't get me wrong, I think their products are awesome, and I bought the snowblower already, and I plan to buy the mower in the future when they perfect it. This control would go a long way towards perfecting it. I'm still holding out for a twin blade design, maybe a wider mower, dual battery? just like the snow blower....oh now you're talking...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I seem to remember these on most gas mowers, and they were quite useful:

Photo of brinox

brinox

Isn't this for the speed of the self-propelled feature of walk-behind tools?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Possible, but on a gas powered tool it is generally for controlling the engine speed. The only picture I found had the dogleg and 1-2. The engine speed control on a mower would just be straight.
Photo of Tdragoli

Tdragoli

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If you think about it, how many power tools do you really have that do not have a speed control. I am all for automation, but as ClarkM stated, the high speed does not kick in until 3 or 4 feet past the high spot. And I am sorry, but I do not think I should have to change my mowing technique to meet a product shortcomings and hence this tread was an Idea; the drive of mankind has been to improve and not to comply. I am not mowing a golf course lawn, but I am also not mowing the back 40 either. After purchasing the Snow Blower, I see that EGO can make this happen. I am a believer, now make me a preacher.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I totally agree. It should be the choice of the operator. RPM control, "eco mode"/"Beast mode".