I want to only buy Ego batteries now with fuel guage. The model numbers with those end with a T.

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
I want to only buy Ego batteries now with fuel gauge. The model numbers with those end with a T. However, I am having hard time finding them and the new tools don't seem to come with those. Home Depot etc. only have the ones without the gauge.
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 304 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 10,196 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Just saying, the fuel gauge is a nice bit of eye candy.  But not really needed for most tools. Right now they come with the power stations because in that usage folks need to keep an eye on their charge so they can plan their power consumption.   In normal applications, the battery warns you when it is getting close to needing a charge, so you have time to either get a few more bits of work in, or head back to the charger.  After a few mows, or whatever, you start to learn how much time/battery a task takes.  
Photo of Barry

Barry

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Does one still need the fuel gauge version(model T) if they are using the power station app? I ask because I'm looking to purchase some spare batteries for the power station and have found a good price on ones without a fuel gauge.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

I bet the fuel gauge function is what interfaces with the app? otherwise they'd be touting the app for all the tools whether it made sense or not. beware of batts on the secondary market, or from non-authorized vendors. Lots of sad stories here after getting bum batts by do-badders.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,956 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I think the power station is what interfaces with the app.  The power station (like the rapid charger) reads the battery power level.  So I would think it would work with any Ego battery,
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The Power Station does give me specific charge levels on each battery, and it does so even on my oldest batteries.
Photo of Barry

Barry

Thanks for the quick replies. The seller is Amazon (sold and fulfilled by Amazon) so they should be OK, right?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Yes if you are buying FROM Amazon and not just thru amazon you are good.  Amazon is a authorized dealer and thus the Ego warranties apply.

What is the good price ?
(Edited)
Photo of Barry

Barry

I should clarify good price...... 

I'm in Florida so time is of the essence. I was looking for 7.5Ah but could only find those through another vendor but with a very high shipping charge. Amazon Prime negated any shipping costs and they had 5.0Ah units available with same day delivery today. I believe it is the standard price of $219 for a 5.0Ah unit.

I believe each 5.0 unit yields 280 watts so 3X would equal 840 watts (or equivalent to two of the 7.5Ah units). Therefore, the "good price" essentially was getting three 5.0s at a total price less than two of the 7.5Ahs.  Even if I'm a little bit off on the calculation factors, the difference in shipping costs combined with the "just in time" delivery of Amazon yielded the "good price."
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Got it.  That is a good price and you are correct 3 5.0 are basically equivalent to 2 7.5 batteries.  Good luck with the storm - I hope you don't need your new purchases.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Ahhh, I thought he wanted non-meter batts to use off the power station with the app. I stand happily corrected.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob

Bob

Prairiedog, Thanks for your reply and I can see your point, However, I have both types (but want to buy another one) and really find the gauge useful because I can keep an eye on the number of bars. I find the button almost useless because the tool stops so quickly after it starts blinking, that's why I want my next battery to have one.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Yea I agree you really have no time, blinks then dead. But you do get a lot of charge so rarely a problem for me unless I don’t charge 100%
(Edited)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

The blinking red means, "You waited too long, I'm dying...now!" The "low battery" pre-warning is when the steady red comes on. That is the point to be thinking about wrapping up the area you are in and heading for the charger. For us it's about 3-5 more minutes or a few more long strips before blinking and quitting. It's long enough to judge how much more I can squeak out in any case.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,740 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
It looks like the batteries are available at Home Depot. Maybe not in a store, but online according to this link.

If you are looking for them in the kits with tools, that might take awhile because I imagine EGO has a fair amount of non-T batteries in inventory to work through (both sales and warranty replacements).
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

There is no steady red for mine just green the blinking red and done
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

I realized after I wrote that you might be using the hand tools that don't have the light system like the mowers and snow blowers do. So yeah, I could see where the meter would be useful then. Hope you can track one down.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Sorry I wasn’t specific all I have right now is a mower, and at least mine only has done green then red then done. It only happened once when I tried not charging all the way to 100%, like I usually do. Just trying to do what you all say don’t charge all the way when storing it. Figured I’d try to do that. If I charge it all they way I never have an issue with it running out.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Sorry Matthew, I was responding to the OP. I never said partial charge? I always charge all the way. The battery is engineered to take care of maintaining a healthy charge itself. To your light issue: The mower has the pre warning light, it has to go to steady red before it can blink. I have to remind myself to look down at the panel to see what color I'm on because it's subtle. There are times when I'm wrapped up in what I'm doing and it only gets my attention when it starts flashing. Maybe you are just missing the switch over too until it blinks? fwiw, I always thought they had the sequence backwards... The standard battery convention is flashing to annoy you into charging and then steady red to indicate imminent death. But they are probably stuck with it now.
(Edited)
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Probably right Prairie I can see me not seeing if plus sun my play a factor in hiding the light as well. Good to know about charging as well thanks for the info.
Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

• 896 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You can get them from EGO, I was sent one as a replacement battery as my original battery had issues.
Photo of Bob

Bob

Thanks for all of your reply's and Oregon Mike I think your response is correct on needing to get rid of old inventory, that only makes sense. I guess I will use HD link. Thanks