I think I will have to return my new LM2022SP. :(

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

Things I liked.

It’s easy to adjust the deck height.

The handle is long, comfortable and adjustable.

It’s electric so I don’t have to keep buying gas and keep it around.

Things I did not like.

It’s $800.

There really is almost no suction. Large dry leaves are ignored. This means I would have to rake or use the blower on days when normally the mower would get them.

The whole self-propelled deal needs to be reworked.

The speed setting is separate from the activation with its own lever. The speed setting lever can be bumped and for the first 2/3 or so it too slow to be useable and can't really be adjusted while in use. At the point where it is almost fast enough for me it stops increasing the speed and then jumps to a max speed that is a little too fast. It’s doable for me but not around corners or turns. So you need to turn it off and the activation lever is on/off with no speed adjustment. Then like other Ego tools it also has a 1-2 second delay to reengage. I felt like a total spaz turning it off to make a turn and then running into it because it’s not on yet. It being rear wheel drive is also an issue. It sounds good and it will give you more traction but now I know why my Toro has power to the front wheels and the activation lever also controls the speed. With the Toro setup I can easily give it a little more or less power when making different turns and I push down a little on the handle to take the power more or less away with no adjustment to go around trees and such. Even around regular 90° turns in the yard it makes it nicer as I lift the front wheels to turn anyway and the rear wheels turn opposite directions freely. Last but not least, the wheels lock up for a time when you want to back up and you have used the power assist. This again would be less of a deal if the front wheels had the power as I’d just push the handle down a bit and back up. Even when not in use there also seems to be a bit of resistance added by the way the power assist is coupled to the wheels.

The power delay is also an issue with the other Ego tools. The edger is not that bad and the blower has a lever to keep it on at certain setting which it nice but you’re wasting precious battery at times. The hedge trimmer is bad for me. With the two switches that must be on and the heavy battery making it hard to hold it turned to trim the sides and keep both switches on and then when one or the other switch is off for a split second you have to wait again for it to power back on.
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,280 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ego really needs to bring over the AB2001 High-Lift blade to this market, to help with the lack of suction problem.
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

And get rid of the power delay on their tools. One of the threads mentioned saving the motor as the reason but I have tons tools Etc with electric motors none of them with a delay and they've lasted for ages. My Tesla doesn't have a 1 to 2 second delay.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 158,138 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The hedge trimmer is not brushless. Good point, as it does have a slight delay as well.

I think the "delay" we feel is actually two parts; the first being the actual delay between hitting the trigger and the first reaction by the tool, and the second being the ramp-up time. These tools seem to have a relatively short delay, but a long-ish ramp-up time. I found it does take some getting used to, and my solution with the string trimmer was to just keep it idling between areas where I need to cut. I just back off the trigger a bit to slow the tool right down instead of letting it stop completely.

It was an adjustment for me, no doubt, but not one that made much of a negative impact. I do appreciate the argument questioning the need for such a delay. Tools that are designed to start under load (drills for example) have no delay at all and no slow ramp-up, brushless or not. Perhaps this delay and soft ramp-up are something of a legacy from early brushless motor controllers and will eventually go away? Who knows.
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

Yeah people can get used to a lot of things but these tools are kind of expensive and they're running on battery so it seems like it would be good if you didn't have to leave them idling to avoid the power on delay. It was really difficult for me with the hedge trimmer trying to hold it the right way having one switch or the other disconnect and then they having the delay and having it come back on and off and on and off. So yeah, Ego please fix!

As for the mower it is only one of a number of issues just really shouldn't be there on an $800 lawn mower.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 48,818 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I just can't fathom how a delay of less than a second is any kind of issue.
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

I didn't say it was less than a second and you just need to be a little bit more imaginative. I think I described quite well how problematic the delays were for me. Sorry I don't know what else to tell you. It just doesn't seem like the delay should be there and they make the tools harder to use.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 158,138 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This is the kind of user feedback that’s important. I would say that for my use the delays are not a large issue, more of something that requires getting used to. However the more responsive a tool is, the more of a pleasure it is to use.

The same applies to cars. With the introduction of electric throttle bodies, car companies can tune the relationship between the accelerator and the engine in both time and amplitude. Some cars have a noticeable “shape” to the response, and others are very linear and natural feeling.

My 2002 Corvette is not exactly a state of the art vehicle anymore, but the mapping of the throttle body is incredible. Based on input sensors it actually anticipates your desired reaction and can put the throttle opening where you want it before your foot gets there! It’s an incredibly responsive engine and an absolute joy to row through the gears.

In contrast to that, many modern cars are tuned with a delayed throttle opening that gives the car better fuel economy scores (encourages less acceleration) but makes the car a complete bore to drive. The delay isn’t necessary but it’s there all the same and it makes for a less than desirable experience.
Photo of ChrisS

ChrisS

• 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I've got a LM2102SP with a standard blade and haven't experienced any problem with suction or with chopping up any leaves encountered as I go.

You may find it useful to practice turns and flips without activating the cutting blade. Once I learned to release the self propel switch a moment before a turn and use the mower's momentum to carry it forward about one wheel rotation's worth, the propel mechanism will have disengaged and the wheels will all turn freely. I don't feel like there's any particular delay between engaging the self propel and when the wheels start going, either.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 59,030 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Agree Chris.  Mine has worked fine for me.  The suction varies with lawn type and height setting.  Also, user expectations.  I have had no problems with the SP and I can easily change the speed while moving.

Tanquen if you can not change speeds while the mower is in use then you have a speed control in need of repair. 
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

???
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

You mentioned in your original post
"The speed setting lever can be bumped and for the first 2/3 or so it too slow to be useable and can't really be adjusted while in use. At the point where it is almost fast enough for me it stops increasing the speed and then jumps to a max speed that is a little too fast."

I am saying the SP can be adjusted while in use and should be a smooth range of speed with no jump in speed.  If yours has a jump or does not adjust while in use then it is likely you have a faulty speed control.
(Edited)
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

Oh, you had said if I cannot change the speed while the mowers in use. That's why I was like what? It's the kind of thing I've seen in lots of devices where you've got a lever or slider or something and through the first part of the range everything's nice and linear and then it just jumps to a faster or higher range speed or max limit, like a little dead zone or Plateau before the max speed. It was right in the range I was interested in so it was like jumping back and forth between two speeds. and even if that was working properly it's still a lot harder to use then my other mower where the speed is adjusted by the lever that engages the power assist. You're trying to use the mower and guide it and then you're going to free your left hand to adjust the speed and the mower is bouncing around and what have you and you're going to try to move that throttle at the same time, it's a little much to get used to. I can see there's a trade-off because with my other mower you're having to hold the lever and a certain location but with two hands on the main handle of the mower resting it's not too bad and again I can just adjust by lifting the front wheels cuz it's front-wheel drive so I definitely seen both sides of it now. For me Ego just seems to have everything slightly the wrong way. I can't put in the speed I want, it's difficult to adjust on the Fly and the rear wheel drive makes it that much harder to go around corners and trees unless you disengage it and then again there's the delay on top of all that every time you turn it on and off. Add to that the seemingly random lockup of the rear wheels. Even when disengaging and then just turning I could see one of the wheels dragging when I was trying to turn the lawn mower. It seems like it has to be under load because I was trying to show my mother the other day on the driveway and I couldn't get it to do it until I went on the grass and engaged and disengaged the power assist a few times.

I could see folks getting used to it maybe if you go at a much slower speed and that's where most of the power assist range on my motor is. For me the slower speeds are just way too slow.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Got it - you are saying it is difficult to adjust while moving (not is does not)

Again there should be no jump or gap in the speed levels.  It should be a smooth transition from low to high and all speeds in between,  Otherwise you have a faulty speed control.  I can see how the separate speed control could be an issue for some, I guess it just isn't for me for whatever reason.   Perhaps because I had no prior mower control to unlearn.

In any case some things are a matter of preference and that is one reason why there are multiple manufacturers.  Find a mower that makes you happy and enjoy your lawn care duties.
(Edited)
Photo of Tanquen .

Tanquen .

I don't know what to tell you you're very lucky. Mine went over large leaves that were dry that were on top of the grass and completely ignored them. You can tell simply by running the mower over grass and debris on the sidewalk it barely moves where as my old mower blows stuff around and pulls stuff in. I think it's kind of why they've gone through the trouble of redesigning a blade even though the options not widely available. It seems like they were more interested in making it really quiet which I can see is an added selling point and getting people's attention.

I also tried working with it for a while but the delay is just too long and the inability to set the speed properly at the higher settings just makes it really difficult to use. The wheel locking up also was somewhat random it didn't seem to always be happy if I just let off the self-propelled for a while nor did it seem to be always happy if I let it off for a little bit rolled forward and then back sometimes it would still lock up sometimes it wouldn't. It may be something you can learn to work with but...
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.