I really want to like this mower, but the cut is terrible.

• Problem
  • Updated 6 days ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
I have been mowing my own lawns for 30 years. I do not think I have ever owned a mower that cuts this bad (21” self propelled). It does not mulch well at all. Many of the clippings are full length. I basically have to mow with a 50% overlap and it still leaves single blades of grass sticking up everywhere. I live in Louisiana. My lawn is st Augustine. I mow every Saturday morning. I am on my fifth mow with this mower and I am probably going to try and return it to Home Depot. I get a slightly better cut by lowering the deck but I should not have to do that because I am cutting the grass lower than I want it. I am hoping it is something as simple as I am doing something wrong. But I really don’t know what it could be at this point.
Photo of cbe77

cbe77

• 268 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 54,426 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
A few things to try. Although it's pretty new, try sharpening the blade. I thought my 21" non-sp model cut pretty well right out of the box, but after I sharpened it the first time the cut vastly improved. 
Also, try applying some upward pressure on the handlebars when mowing. Not really trying to lift the back up, but just a little bit to keep the front end of the mower down. The handlebars really encourage us to rest our arms/hands on them but that sort of encourages the front of the mower to rise up just a smidge. 
Try mowing at a slower pace. Not sure how slow you are going so maybe a bit slower will also help.
Photo of cbe77

cbe77

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I mow about as slow as I can. I only have about 4,500 sq ft of grass and I had to spend about 90 minutes to make it look good. I guess I can sharpen the blade but it should be unnecessary for something so new. My second to last mower was a snapper I bought on Craigslist. The blade looked like someone mowed gravel with it and it still gave a decent cut.
Photo of Ben Phelps

Ben Phelps

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
A few things you can do. First check out "the lawn care nut" on YouTube. He has St Aug grass and did a quick review of the ego mower and how it cut his grass. He had some of the same issues you are talking about but had solutions for the problems.

I remember he brought the deck to the second highest setting and that helped, but the thing that helped the most was his handle position. You could also try the high lift blade.

But seriously check out the videos he has on the mower (he has two, one the first day he got it, and a follow up with the high lift blade).
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 3,090 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Here is the Allyn Hane (Lawn Care Nut) video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPGK-WW9Luc&t=644s

Photo of cbe77

cbe77

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks. I watched that video before I bought my ego. I lowered my deck even lower than he did and I still get a bad cut. I tried the top three notches and quite frankly I don’t want to mow any lower.

How does the bod make a difference? Isn’t it for bagging? I want to mulch.
Photo of Alan Moore

Alan Moore

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm thinking about switching to the high lift blade. It should help for bagging and mulching.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 12,872 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
TOTALLY DOES
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 12,256 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
100% thrilled with my 21" SP and cut quality bagging or mulching is as good as a Honda 21" steel deck SP without the hassles of gas/oil.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 64,962 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I agree. I found the cut quality of the original 20-inch mower to be decent, but not award-winning. But I've been very impressed with the cut quality of the 21-inch self-propelled, even when there was standing water in parts of my backyard a couple of weeks ago. It handled really wet grass effortlessly.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,132 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

I have three Ego Lawn mowers (20 inch push; 21 inch self-propelled; dual battery self-propelled).  If you cutting doesn't improve after trying the suggestions that were offered, then returned the lawn mower the buy the dual battery SP lawn mower.  There is a big different in torque and power which help the cutting efficiency

EGO’s Representative sent this statement out in 2018.

Hello EGO Community! We’d like to take this opportunity to clear the air regarding our new Dual Battery Mower. Since there has been a great deal of interest and a bit of confusion surrounding this mower, let’s jump into the facts straightaway.

-This mower’s motor is brushless.
-This mower is rated at 1200W.
-This mower’s PeakPowerTM technology delivers more torque, longer run times, and a more efficient power draw.
-This is the most powerful brushless motor in the entire EGO Power+ mower lineup.

You’ll want to note that all of these statements have been confirmed by our engineering team. Also, the Steel Deck Self-Propelled Mower is rated at 1000W. Our apologies for any misunderstanding. 

Watch this video regarding the Ego dual battery lawn mower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd85zB-59Wo

Link to the EGO High Lift Blade we talk about: https://amzn.to/2NpzyxQ Price the EGO Dual Battery 21" Mower on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2OKT8VM New Dual Battery Mower - This NEW Dual Battery EGO 21" Self-Propelled mower provides longer run time not only because it has multiple batteries!  This the EGO's first BRUSHLESS lawn mower.  You will not see the word brushless on this lawnmower but rest assured it is.   This lawn mower operated very similar to the dual battery snow blower with what EGO calls PeakPower technology.  Basically, the PeakPower technology can determine what battery or batteries (It can run off a single battery) you have in the lawn mower and the software determines the most efficient power draw.  This allows users to use multiple batteries for long runtimes and more torque or the ability to run one battery while the other charges.  While this new model looks and feels almost exactly like the single battery 21" lawn mower, the difference lies in the motor and the torque it can provide.  With two 5.0Ah batteries, one can see upwards of 40% more torque from this unit.  that allows you to run some of the upgrades we list below with little effect on runtime! This is an expensive unit, due mostly to the cost of the two batteries if you buy the kit.  But if you are wanting a nice, powerful and quiet lawn mower to tackle larger lawns, look no further, this is it. What is PeakPower Technology? This new mower is the second tool from EGO that will run on a single battery or also capable of running off two batteries.  EGO calls this technology PeakPower and it is software that is capable of detecting the size of the batteries in the tool.  Obviously, the larger the battery, or batteries, the better it will perform.  The software will look at the number of cells (battery pack size) that is can pull power from and adjust the amps drawn from the battery, or batteries for optimal performance.  This gives the user options if a battery was forgotten to be charged or if one were to possibly go bad.  We found that there is little difference between running the unit with a 7.5Ah single battery or two 5.0Ah batteries, but all of our testing was done with the two 5.0Ah batteries that came in the kit. LM2142SP Features 21 self-propelled mower Features PeakPower technology for more Torque Bare tool or with (2) 5.0Ah batteries and charger Variable speed control for Self-Propulsion Single lever 6-position deck height adjustment Compatible with any EGO 56-Volt battery Folds easily for compact storage LED headlights 5-year limited warranty Why Go Battery Powered? The largest benefits of a battery operated lawn mower are the lack of pull starting, lack of buying gas, lack of changing oil and a significant decrease in noise.  While testing out battery operated lawn mowers, Jeff and I are able to have conversations without yelling.  Try that with any gas-powered lawn mower and you will be screaming at each other and most of the time not understanding all that is said.  The largest downside to a battery-powered unit is, or was runtime.  Prior to this model, the average runtime we would see with the single battery EGO was around 45-minutes.  With this new unit, one will easily see 75-minutes while mowing a normal lawn.  Many people start to look at a small tractor at the point where they are mowing a lawn for over an hour and a half. This small battery operated unit opens the door for commercial contractors to use this unit for trimming.  The runtime will easily allow for its use on and off while trimming for a normal workday. Upgrades We have found that is very thin stranded grass that is cut at more than 3" that there can be strands of grass left uncut.  This is because the blades on most battery-powered lawn mowers are designed for runtime, not lift.  There is a high lift blade available from EGO that will lift the grass and cut better, but it will slightly reduce the runtime of the machine.  This new machine will have this blade much better and still give a long runtime.  We highly suggest you try this blade with the new mower!  EGO Power+ AB2101 21" Lawn Mower High Lift Blade for POWER+ 56V Lawn Mower Models LM2100/LM2100SP/LM2101/LM2102SP

Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,132 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I am resending this email with the correct grammar and spelling.

I have three Ego Lawn mowers (20 inch push; 21 inch self-propelled; dual battery self-propelled).  If you're cutting doesn't improve after trying the suggestions that were offered, then returned the lawn mower and buy the dual battery SP lawn mower.  There is a big different in torque and power which helps the cutting efficiency

EGO’s Representative sent this statement out in 2018.

Hello EGO Community! We’d like to take this opportunity to clear the air regarding our new Dual Battery Mower. Since there has been a great deal of interest and a bit of confusion surrounding this mower, let’s jump into the facts straightaway.

-This mower’s motor is brushless.
-This mower is rated at 1200W.
-This mower’s PeakPowerTM technology delivers more torque, longer run times, and a more efficient power draw.
-This is the most powerful brushless motor in the entire EGO Power+ mower lineup.

You’ll want to note that all of these statements have been confirmed by our engineering team. Also, the Steel Deck Self-Propelled Mower is rated at 1000W. Our apologies for any misunderstanding. 

Watch this video regarding the Ego dual battery lawn mower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd85zB-59Wo

Link to the EGO High Lift Blade we talk about: https://amzn.to/2NpzyxQ Price the EGO Dual Battery 21" Mower on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2OKT8VM New Dual Battery Mower - This NEW Dual Battery EGO 21" Self-Propelled mower provides longer run time not only because it has multiple batteries!  This the EGO's first BRUSHLESS lawn mower.  You will not see the word brushless on this lawnmower but rest assured it is.   This lawn mower operated very similar to the dual battery snow blower with what EGO calls PeakPower technology.  Basically, the PeakPower technology can determine what battery or batteries (It can run off a single battery) you have in the lawn mower and the software determines the most efficient power draw.  This allows users to use multiple batteries for long runtimes and more torque or the ability to run one battery while the other charges.  While this new model looks and feels almost exactly like the single battery 21" lawn mower, the difference lies in the motor and the torque it can provide.  With two 5.0Ah batteries, one can see upwards of 40% more torque from this unit.  that allows you to run some of the upgrades we list below with little effect on runtime! This is an expensive unit, due mostly to the cost of the two batteries if you buy the kit.  But if you are wanting a nice, powerful and quiet lawn mower to tackle larger lawns, look no further, this is it. What is PeakPower Technology? This new mower is the second tool from EGO that will run on a single battery or also capable of running off two batteries.  EGO calls this technology PeakPower and it is software that is capable of detecting the size of the batteries in the tool.  Obviously, the larger the battery, or batteries, the better it will perform.  The software will look at the number of cells (battery pack size) that is can pull power from and adjust the amps drawn from the battery, or batteries for optimal performance.  This gives the user options if a battery was forgotten to be charged or if one were to possibly go bad.  We found that there is little difference between running the unit with a 7.5Ah single battery or two 5.0Ah batteries, but all of our testing was done with the two 5.0Ah batteries that came in the kit. LM2142SP Features 21 self-propelled mower Features PeakPower technology for more Torque Bare tool or with (2) 5.0Ah batteries and charger Variable speed control for Self-Propulsion Single lever 6-position deck height adjustment Compatible with any EGO 56-Volt battery Folds easily for compact storage LED headlights 5-year limited warranty Why Go Battery Powered? The largest benefits of a battery operated lawn mower are the lack of pull starting, lack of buying gas, lack of changing oil and a significant decrease in noise.  While testing out battery operated lawn mowers, Jeff and I are able to have conversations without yelling.  Try that with any gas-powered lawn mower and you will be screaming at each other and most of the time not understanding all that is said.  The largest downside to a battery-powered unit is, or was runtime.  Prior to this model, the average runtime we would see with the single battery EGO was around 45-minutes.  With this new unit, one will easily see 75-minutes while mowing a normal lawn.  Many people start to look at a small tractor at the point where they are mowing a lawn for over an hour and a half. This small battery operated unit opens the door for commercial contractors to use this unit for trimming.  The runtime will easily allow for its use on and off while trimming for a normal workday. Upgrades We have found that is very thin stranded grass that is cut at more than 3" that there can be strands of grass left uncut.  This is because the blades on most battery-powered lawn mowers are designed for runtime, not lift.  There is a high lift blade available from EGO that will lift the grass and cut better, but it will slightly reduce the runtime of the machine.  This new machine will have this blade much better and still give a long runtime.  We highly suggest you try this blade with the new mower!  EGO Power+ AB2101 21" Lawn Mower High Lift Blade for POWER+ 56V Lawn Mower Models LM2100/LM2100SP/LM2101/LM2102SP

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

You do have the ability to edit your posts, BTW, unless someone has commented on it.

William E Hanson

• 12,256 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thank you, Bill for such a detailed comparison; highly educational for us EGO enthusiasts.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 18,338 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Not sure why you wrote "try" to return it.  HD will take it back if within 90 days.  Longer than that and it is only returnable for 1 year if purchased on HD credit card.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

The advice from Allyn Hane to lift up on the handle of the 21-inch self-propelled mower no longer seems to be needed with more recent builds of the mower. Ego redesigned the self-propulsion system and it has eliminated the problem he was addressing there.

I recently picked up a 21-inch self-propelled mower with a January 2019 build date and it has the new system. The rear wheels look slightly different but I never owned the earlier version, so I'm not sure what the visual differences are. But apparently one way you can tell you have the redesign is if the box has a picture of a smartphone on it that shows off Ego's new app.

Regardless of which build you have, the main thing is that St. Augustine is a tougher grass than what we deal with in the Midwest. People with tougher Southern grasses do seem to benefit greatly from sharpening their mower blades, even when the blades are new.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 3,352 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Ken - That may be the case but imagine the majority of owners have mowers that don't have those improvements. Allyn's video is only a year old.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Agreed, but the OP said he's only on his fifth mow with this mower, so there is a significant possibility he has the newer build. If that's the case, the advice to lift up the handle would not address his complaint. That's why I explained the differences, so he could better determine which version of the mower he has, and why I specifically said Allyn's advice doesn't apply to newer builds of the mower.
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 54,426 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That's why I always qualify my comments with the kind of mower I have and what my experience is with mine. I think if one is more resting their hands/arms on the handle then it probably doesn't matter which type of mower they have, the front will go up due to the back being pushed down by the weight of the user's arms. A straggler blade of grass is easily captured on the next pass, at least for me anyway.
I really believe there is something going on under these mowers regarding airflow. My mower works absolutely at its best when I pull it but most people aren't going to do a full mow pulling their mower. And most of us, me included, are more than happy with the performance when pushing anyway.
Photo of Jack Tracy

Jack Tracy

• 338 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
cbe77: Me Too. I have bermuda. 
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 7,054 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
It mows and mulches better on the slower speeds. Sharpening even the new blade is also recommended.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 13,140 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I've never had to lift up with my handle and run it self propelled 90% of the time even tho my lawn is flat.

It's very true that the blades are soft and dull rapidly, tho I still only sharpen maybe twice a season.

I'd say spend $20 try the high lift blade and if that don't do it (sure did for me) return it.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 2,294 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Would raising the hight of the mower help and/or would using the high blade help?
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 13,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
High Lift changed my world.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 13,140 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 7,054 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The physics of mowing with any power mower is exactly the same: a blade spins at high speed and cuts the grass. It is the force behind the spin, and the speed that matters. Egos have as much or more force, and spin as fast as gas mowers, so the mower design is not to blame. The most common reason for bad cuts, is a dull blade. We already explained the blades can sometimes come dull. Simply declaring it shouldn't be that way doesn't make the blade sharp. It sounds like the only thing you haven't tried is the most obvious one. So sharpen the blade. If that doesn't help, maybe your power system *is* funky and it is your particular machine, return it for another. We just mowed over two acres including thick grass and rough paths with our Egos. We've had them for years now. They work great. We have one high lift and one regular blade, they both work fine, mulching is just better with the high lift. The only other reasons for a bad cut are going too fast, trying to cut too wet, or too long of grass too short at one time.
(Edited)
Photo of cbe77

cbe77

Thanks.  I don't think I could cut it any slower than I do right now.  I know my old honda would handle this better than what I am dealing with at the moment.  Hopefully the sharper blade and/or the high lift improve my results.  I've already given away my old mower, trimmer, & blower in place of my ego and I really don't want to go back to gas.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,552 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
This might sound obvious but make sure the blade is installed correctly. It is very easy to bolt the blade on backwards.
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

• 1,132 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I made the switch roughly 2 months ago,  and recently bought the high lift blade, after a few cuts I can tell there are less stray grass blades.  I recommend the high lift blade but did notice the battery run time dropped. I used to do my whole yard with juice left to run the blower a few minutes.  Last night the battery turned red with a few rows left.  So there is a trade off for a better cut.  There also is a learning curve on how to use your mower  (Pace/ handle position/ self propel use/etc)
(Edited)
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 1,226 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Just to cover all the bases, ensure the mulch plug is properly inserted. I know it should come that way, but perhaps it got dislodged.

I have the dual battery mower, and have zero complaints about the cut. However, I also have no idea what kind of grass I have. Upstate NY if that helps.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,080 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You say you are cutting once/week and see long strands of grass when mulching. In mulching mode you may have to cut twice/week.

I mulch and usually wait too long and get some long strands of grass too. If I cut in CCW direction and ride the right wheels just to the right of tire marks from last pass I get no clumping or many long strands left. Most of the debris lays to the left of the mower and gets cut/redistributed on the following pass.

I have tried the high lift blade and find it performs WORSE than the standard blade.

Like several EGO users I have two standard blades. I always have the spare sharpened (flap disk on angle grinder) and ready to go. Sounds like a pain but the blade can be removed/resharpened/reinstalled in close to 5 minutes - less than that if you have a sharpened spare blade.

Mike
Photo of cbe77

cbe77

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I enjoy mowing and wish I could so it every five days.  But I have young children and Saturday morning are about my only option to mow.  I guess I'll try the sharpened blade until my high lift arrives next week.  thanks

William E Hanson

• 12,030 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Cbe77, I remember those days when our lives revolved around our child and everything else waited. You're doing the right thing.
Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Same problem for me from day 1 and blade is sharp. Think it’s just a bad blade they give you with the ego mower. The blade has almost no suction (lift) and doesn’t pull the grass up and then cut it so it won’t cut properly. I love all the other ego products but so far I’m not happy with the mower out of the box because of the bad cut. From the reviews on the high lift blade it should fix the bad cut issues you are having. You should purchase the high lift blade. It’s about $25. I just bought one and if it doesn’t fix my cutting of the grass issues I’ll be returning the mower. It’s really unacceptable how bad the cut is with the standard blade.
Photo of cbe77

cbe77

My high lift blade should arrive this week.  It is my last ditch effort to get this mower to work the way I need it to work.  I've tried everything else in this thread and nothing seems to work.  I'm not very confident the blade can make that much difference, but I'm hopeful.  I really want this mower to work. I love how easy it is to fold and store. I love that I don't smell like gas when I'm done.  But the main job I need it to do it give me a nice even cut and that isn't happening. 
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

• 1,132 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I got the high lift blade and was in the same boat as you before I did.  I believe it did improve my cut.   I think i'll rotate high lift for spring/ standard blad midsummer when grass isn't as thick and lush/ high lift for fall for leaf pickup.  While sharpening before each change.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 6,954 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Just be sure to sharpen before you install.  In the meantime to give you an idea of how well a properly sharpened stock blade works, Ken just posted this pic of his lawn on another thread.   No reason your lawn shouldn't look the same if your mower is working properly.   If the new blade doesn't help, you may just have a clunker machine that needs to be exchanged under the warranty. 

Photo of cbe77

cbe77

Thanks. I plan to sharpen it before I mow as well as try to mow on the day 5 or 6 instead of waiting 7 days.  The problem is my grass is pretty thick St. Augustine.  Mine looks close to the image above if you leave a bunch of single blades of grass standing.  The problem is I basically have to mow everything at least twice.  I'm having to mow with close to a 50% overlap which means everything is getting hit twice, and I still have to go over a some spots an additional pass. 

Even though I have a self propelled mower, I almost always push until I'm getting tired toward the end.  When using SP, it almost looks like the height of the grass is different after a pass.  And yes, I make sure the front tires are pushing down.  It's just a bizarre scenario.  My most recent mower was a Honda with the 'twin blade' and I never had to overlap the mower at all (different lawn/home) and if I had a single blade of grass standing, it's because I missed it.  

What I keep trying to figure out is .. am I expecting too much and this is just how the machine is supposed to perform?  I hate to go swap the mower only to realize I didn't get a clunker; I got a normal one and this is just how it works. Now Home Depot (or ego) is stuck trying to get rid of two 'used' machines due to my experimenting.  
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

From what other people here have written, St. Augustine is definitely tougher and does benefit from the blade being sharper.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 18,118 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
St Aug is a bear.  You may need the Honda again!
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Contrary to marketing rhetoric....I love my mower - but my Honda could power thru just about anything.  I think it was a 3HP - anyone know how many HP Ego has?

There is a tradeoff not having to smell gas.

Just my opinion but.....

I'm happy with the tradeoff 
(Edited)
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 3,352 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
The most powerful EGO mower motor has 1200 watts of power. 1 HP = 746 watts. So an EGO mower has the equivalent of 1.6 HP. Most modern gas mowers are now in the 5-6.5 HP range, so this really isn't a fair comparison. If you don't like the smell of gas - going battery is the way to go.
Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I completely agree if this high lift blade doesn’t do the trick then no way am I going to keep this mower. I’m starting to think at least with the standard blade it needs to be really really sharp and like all the time sharp. Like every 1-2 hours of mowing which is really ridiculous if this is the case. I never sharpened my standard blade but I felt it and looked at it and it was pretty darn sharp to me and only used a couple times. I don’t want to sharpen my blade once a month. Just more work for no reason. Once a year should be sufficient to have a sharp enough blade for the size of my yard. I’d go 2 years with my Honda and could start to tell the mower would struggle more to keep up with taller or thicker grass but never did it not make a nice clean cut. Guess I’ll be sharpening this high lift blade right out of the box before I even install it. Once a year sharpening would be fine for me but not 5+ times a year or every time you mow like I’m reading some of these reviews say they sharpen the blade like every time. I don’t have time for that
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I'm with you Brock - I've sharpened I think twice per summer.  It helps to have an extra High Lift on the shelf (I do) and keep it sharp, so it's a 5 minute switch at the most.  (I gave away my Standard blade and will never use one again BTW)

On top of not smelling gas however, is the fact that I ENJOY mowing my lawn with this mower, and that noisy ass Honda it was way more of a chore.   And taking it to the shop each spring and spending $100+ on it made it worse yet.  (After the first 3 years or so, that "start on the first pull" was long gone without an annual carb rebuild.)

Tho I NEVER ONCE sharpened the blades - tho I did hit rocks with them a couple times and replaced them in the 8 years or so I had that mower. 

With my Ego - I've even mowed a couple neighbor's yards, just because I love using it - and that's a fact.

"Ain't nobody got time for that"  LOL

I actually don't get why Ego made such a soft blade, as sharp would also seemingly help with longer battery life.
(Edited)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I mulch almost exclusively (with the HL blade)

But I always have to overlap rows.  Ease of use makes that so I don't mind.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I agree about the enjoyment factor. I actually look forward to mowing my yard rather than seeing it as a chore.

William E Hanson

• 12,192 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Can't say I enjoy the chore, but keeping a nice lawn that is the envy of neighbors is satisfying.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 18,118 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Bloomz, I had two Honda Harmony mowers--each for 10 years or more.  I never had the carbs rebuilt, as they never needed it.   Did you put Stabil or other gas longevity-extender product in your mower in the fall?   If you don't have fresh gas, it may never start.  I seriously doubt the carb work fixed your issue--it is more likely they put fresh gas in the tank and got it going quickly.
(Edited)
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 684 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I just use non-ethanol gas and never, ever, in 30 years have needed to rebuild a mower carburetor.