I need another expensive 5.0ah battery for the $598 snowblower but its not cost effective...

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
I purchased an EGO lawn mower with a 5.0ah battery & charger HOWEVER, if I now purchase a snowblower with no battery or charger I have to purchase another 5.0ah battery which costs $298. It is less expensive to purchase your snowblower which includes a charger and 2 5.0ah batteries @ a cost of $797. than to buy the "tool only" snowblower for $598. with another $298 battery equals $896. (+ another $13 for HST). Your battery pricing is forcing me to purchase the complete kit which is approx. $100 less yet what do I do with an extra charger & 1 battery especially if I won't need the snowblower much??
Photo of Peter Goetting

Peter Goetting

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 80,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yup - kits are a great deal.  Tool and battery at a fantastic price. 

You can
1) keep all the batteries, so you will never have to wait for recharging.  I am happy to have "too many" batteries.  Always have one charged and ready to go.  And with 3 batteries all of your future Ego purchases can be bare tool if you so desire.
2) sell the extra battery
3) gift the extra battery

Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,094 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Agree. Never have too many batteries. I have 2 and want a 3rd. They do go bad after awhile.
Photo of martin Downs

martin Downs

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How long did the battery last ? The other answer was not helpful.
Photo of Timothy

Timothy

• 868 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I ended up with several chargers and batteries from buying a lawn mower, a blower, and a weed whip, so I put them all on a wall and can keep several batteries on the go during mowing season.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 79,914 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
nice set up Timothy
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Great thought on adding that little strip at the top. I have a similar set up with 3 rapid chargers on a piece of plywood hung on a French cleat but hate that the charger lifts off the screws when I pull the battery up. Nicely done!
Photo of Joe DeP

Joe DeP

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
by the 16 Inch Chainsaw which comes with the 5.0 ah battery :-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 79,914 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Now there is a creative solution. 
Peter you can buy the chain saw or 580 blower with a 5.0 battery
Then buy the bare tool snow blower.
good thinking Joe

Personally I went the other way and got a snow blower with 2 batteries and a 580 blower kit.  Already had the mower, so now I have 4 batteries which means 2 sets for the snow blower for those bigger snow falls.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 5,816 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Always buy kits because of the pricing and the extra batteries can be really handy, especially when you're performing heavy yard maintenance a couple time a year. As for extra chargers, I set them up strategically to be able to recharge wherever without going far. Beats walking all the way around the house to recharge. These batteries won't lass forever even with a 3 year warranty.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 175,538 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Peter, the advice to get another kit with a 5Ah battery is good.  For not much more than the battery itself you can have another tool as well as a backup charger.

Do you have any other Ego tools, or just the mower?  The snowblower will run with a 5Ah and 2.5Ah battery, but it'll be down on power slightly with about 25% reduced run time.  That might not be a big deal if you have a small driveway.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 58,186 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Where are you located? In the U.S., the 5.) Ah battery is $220 at Home Depot and Amazon. Still pricey, but better than $298.

That said, as others have said, there are some great tools for not much more than that that come with the battery and charger.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 175,538 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
$298 Canadian Pesos.