I have looked for many years to find this technology, have you tested it on a back pack vacuum system

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

i nead 159 cfm & 9.4 amps that will last at least 2 hours. Also must be quite 66dpi or less
Photo of Michael B Davis

Michael B Davis

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
9.4 amps at what voltage? Also, I'm not sure what the amperage has to do with performance?

A 4Ah 56V Ego battery will only provide a little over 100W for two hours. I think your two hour criteria would need to be shortened considerably to be practical with battery power.

For example, a 4Ah battery could put out about 400W for 30 minutes. Since it takes 30 minutes to charge a 4Ah battery you could have continuous use with two batteries.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Wouldn't vacuum performance and run time be very similar to the Ego blower? I played with one in Home Depot the other day (how cool is it that you can actually run the Ego blower model, while the gas ones are just for display?) and turbo definitely moves a lot more air than the exhaust on my big shop vac. I'm guessing that the blower's run time on low is probably similar to what you could expect from a vacuum with average suction.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

You've got a point, but vacuums work at a much higher pressure drop than the new turbine style blowers do. Not only is the air being sucked through a filter, but is also being sucked through an end unit with a small gap between it and the floor to increase velocity and get all that junk airborne. At a given flow rate I'd bet a vacuum is doing many times as much work.

Just to pull some numbers out of the air, the Ego blower pushes 250 CFM on low speed. This small shop vacuum is only rated at 103 CFM and is rated to pull 9 amps on a 120V circuit... that's far more electrical power than the blower uses on low.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4-gal...
Photo of Michael B Davis

Michael B Davis

Thanks for your reply,we have many concerns in commercial vacuuming. 35% of all labor, wait, and skill in finding the correct electrical outlet. I included the amps to help you understand our current 110 commonly used system. The static lift required is 96 in with 156 cfm we utilise 1108 watts and 9.5 amps. In order to gain the productivity required to make this viable and convenient to use in this system I will have to have 2 hours of continuous usage a fast recharge and an exchange battery also the overall wait must be calculated.
Photo of Michael B Davis

Michael B Davis

more commercial vacuums than all lawn mowers comined with a price point at $350 / 495.00
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Assuming an increased efficiency brushless design could accomplish your goal with about 1000W of power, a 2 hour run time would require 2000W/hr of battery capacity. That's equivalent to about 10 Ego 4Ah packs.

Looked at the other way, a 1000W device would deplete a single 4Ah battery in about 12 minutes, and the larger 7.5Ah battery in about 22 minutes.

I think a 1000W application might be pushing the limits of a single Ego pack, though a dual pack system operating at 500W per side would probably work alright. My gut doesn't feel right depleting cells completely in 12 minutes repeatedly.

The high draw Ego tools max out at about 600W, for reference. That is peak loads, not sustained, and a vacuum is a sustained load for long periods.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I wonder what the charge time for the 7.5Ah battery is. I'm guessing at least 45 minutes, more likely close to an hour. So perhaps dual 5Ah batteries with two rapid chargers and an additional pair of 5Ah batteries would be the best solution for continuous run time. And each pair of batteries would need to last at least 30 minutes.

Such a setup would require close to $1500 of batteries and chargers, and who knows how long the batteries could sustain that 30 minute run time being fully charged and drained 8x per day before needing to be replaced. Definitely doesn't sound like a good application for battery power. Maybe a generator and extension cords would work better if reliable AC power receptacles are scarce.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

From the CH5500 manual, 30, 40 and 60 minutes for the 4, 5 and 7.5Ah packs, respectively:
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

This reminded me of a picture Ego posted on Facebook a while back...

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Nice! I wonder what kind of strong beverage is in that glass? :-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.