I have batteries BA1120 & BA1400. Will these adequately power the model LM2100SP mower? My yard is small (1600 sq. ft.) and flat.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
LM 2100SP mower: battery requirements
Photo of Analytical1

Analytical1

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Pete Innes

Pete Innes

• 3,026 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
The 2.5 and 5 amp batteries will fit into the mower but you will not get a lot of mowing time compared to the 7.5 amp
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 11,100 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
One user previously complained that his 2.0 Ah battery did not allow him to mow a 50x100 (5000 sq ft) lawn on a single charge. For a 1600 sq ft lawn (20'x80') you may be able to mow it with a smaller battery, and if you have two of them, I strongly suspect you'll be able to get it done with the smaller batteries.  (FYI, I can mow around 10,000+ sq feet with a 7.5 AH battery, so my estimate is that I could mow at least 2000 sq feet with a  2.0 Ah battery, although it may not be a linear conversion....)
(Edited)
Photo of Analytical1

Analytical1

Thank you for your input. I realize that I may be pushing the limits of performance of less powerful batteries in order to get the job done. If necessary, I'll just buy the LM2102SP model with the 7.5 AH battery and eliminate the need to use multiple batteries.
Photo of Analytical1

Analytical1

Thank you for your input. Battery BA1120 is 2.0 amp; Battery BA1400 is 2.5 amp. My yard is 1600 sq. ft. (about 0.04 acre) and is flat. I can mow it in less than 15 minutes now. I would like to avoid the expense of buying a more powerful battery unless it is really necessary. Again, I appreciate your response.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
1. If your lawn is extra thick and you tend to mow it short, just be aware that the smaller single string batteries (2 and 2.5) will not allow the mower to perform at its highest power output.

2. If you mow at higher height and/or your lawn is thin, this may not be an issue.

I have a feeling you will be OK cutting 1600 sqft with either battery, just be aware of #1 above.
Photo of Analytical1

Analytical1

Your point #2 applies to me. So, no particular stress on the mower. Nonetheless, thanks for your input.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Any time!
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I bought a 20" gen 1 mower used, with only a 2.5 battery; and can confirm that the 1P (2.0/2.5) batteries are NOT sufficient to run the mower (any model).  You're also draining the same amount of power from a smaller battery, so you'll likely affect the overall longevity of the battery.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Bull. I don't know what kind of grass you're mowing, but I have the 20" mower and used to use the 2.0Ah battery from my weed trimmer to mow part of my front yard (about 2,500 square feet) until I got an additional 5.0Ah battery.

I couldn't completely finish it, but I could mow about two-thirds of it. Half is dense zoysia, the rest is typical blue grass/fescue mix.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
...NOT sufficient to run the mower "effectively".  It will run it, but you'll get about 15 minutes out of it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I get 20-22 minutes from a 2Ah battery mowing my particular lawn with the 20" mower set to 4-5 height setting.  It will overload a little easier than when using larger batteries, but it works well overall.

The 20" mower with a small battery is also unbelievably light to push around!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I would get about 20 minutes out of my 2.0Ah battery, too, which was enough to mow most of my front lawn "effectively." Before I had my 5.0Ah battery, it was enough to ensure I could finish the rest of my lawn with my 4.0Ah battery and not have to pause to recharge.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I know David Cline had poor results using the small batteries with his 21" mower, but it must be said that he cuts really low (setting 2 I think?) and his Bermuda grass is rather thick.  For reference, his 20" mower would not handle his lawn well even with the larger batteries, so he definitely falls into the "low and thick" crowd.