I have a ~3/4 acre yard. Is the 21 inch self propelled mower suitable?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
I have a lot that is approximately 3/4 of an acre. It is fairly flat with only a few large trees as obstacles. I've previously used a service to cut my yard, but I've decided that I'm going to take care of my yard myself. So, I'm in the market for a mower.

I currently have the 530CFM blower, and I love it. I use it all the time, so naturally the first mower that came to my mind was the EGO 21 inch self propelled mower. 

Is this mower suitable for use on a yard the size of mine? Home Depot's site says that it is for 1/4 - 1/2 acre sized yards. Is that a true approximation of the mowers capacity, or is that on the conservative side?
Photo of Adam Dear

Adam Dear

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Oleg Obukhov

Oleg Obukhov

• 1,288 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I have 3/4 acre lot myself. In order to mow the whole lot with no interruptions I have to use mower's battery (5Ah) and blower's battery (2.5Ah). So I start with 5Ah battery and when it dies (when approx. 3/4 of my lot is mowed) - I replace it with 2.5Ah battery while putting 5Ah battery on a rapid charger. By the time I'm done with mowing 5Ah battery recharges to about 70% so I can do trimming (I use EGO trimmer as well) and blowing.

With sequence like that I have no waiting time for my weekly lawn mowing/trimming.
(Edited)
Photo of keenanj

keenanj

• 2,978 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Yes. I have that size lawn on a super steep grade. I use about 1 charge of 7.5, though sometimes I am just short. The mower is great. The tires are lame and there is a quirky reverse thing. But other than that, it is awesome. It's quiet, fast, cuts well, easy to store, super easy to maintain, you can cut at night, it works well with the other Ego stuff. I love mine. The best thing I ever did was fire my landscaper and buy a mower and blower from Ego. This mower is really the first that you can say is good enough to replace gas.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 20,460 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
agreed re the tires.  should have rubber tread.  But i do like the soft-start when using SP
(Edited)
Photo of Adam Dear

Adam Dear

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "quirky reverse thing"?
Photo of keenanj

keenanj

Yeah that was vague. Sorry. It's the trying to pull it backwards. Sometimes the wheels lock. The first few times I mowed it was really annoying. Now I just wait a second and can pull it back.
(Edited)
Photo of Oleg Obukhov

Oleg Obukhov

I personally don't see a reason for SP mower for a flat lot. SP mower is 10 pounds heavier while push mower is really lightweight and takes no effort to push on a flat lots. Plus, it's $100 cheaper and provides the same battery life (5Ah push mower vs 7.5Ah SP mower).

But, I guess, it's the matter of personal preference.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Oleg, I was under the impression the 7.5Ah SP mower would have slightly more run time than the 5Ah push mower even when using the SP feature. Is this not the case?
Photo of Oleg Obukhov

Oleg Obukhov

This is the case when you compare them side to side (meaning on the same mower). What I was talking about, however, is that push mower comes with 5.0Ah battery while SP mower comes with 7.5Ah and life time of 5.0Ah battery in push mower is almost the same as 7.5Ah battery in SP mower because SP mower requires more power.

At least, this is what I observed when comparing my neighbor's SP mower with my push mower. Doesn't SP feature consume more power?
(Edited)
Photo of keenanj

keenanj

I agree with Oleg that you don't need the SP on flat surfaces. The SP works for me because of the slope. When I am on flat ground, I don't use it. 
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Oleg, if you look in the 21" mower manual it says under light cutting loads the SP with 7.5Ah battery lasts 33% longer, and at medium cutting loads it lasts 50% longer.  The way I read that is at medium cutting loads the SP feature draws an almost insignificant amount of power over its 45 minute run time.

Ego's numbers are VERY rough estimates though, and I'm absolutely certain you could measure the difference both with and without SP.
(Edited)
Photo of Adam Dear

Adam Dear

Thanks for the input.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this and a 15 inch trimmer. I just need to decide if I want to get a trimmer with another battery (which would give me three batteries: a 7.5Ah from the mower,  and 2x 2Ah from blower and trimmer), or if I should get the trimmer without the battery to save a few bucks.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,736 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
IMO - Worth a few bucks to have an extra battery available. 
Photo of Adam Dear

Adam Dear

Was just looking at a few other things, and I think I might hold out for the multi tool to be available.  Will definitely buy with a battery.
Photo of Michael Cook

Michael Cook

• 1,020 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It'll take a little while, but it's totally doable. I mowed my lawn it's about 1/4 acre, and then pushed my mower down to my parents house and mowed there's also. The 5ah battery died with about 5-10 mins mowing left. I used the 2.5 ah battery out of the trimmer. I have (2) 5ah and a 2.5 ah batteries. I did everything in about an hour mowing, trim/edge and blow the drive and sidewalk. It was about 1 3/4 miles of walking.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I mow over an acre with the 20" mower. Very hilly. Takes me forever but it's doable