I didn't know WD-40 is roughly 90-95% water

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
I bought the EGO hedge trimmer early this spring.  I lubed the hedge trimmer with WD40 from a trigger spray bottle I've had of WD-40 for a few years.  No issues (other than an unrelated issue due to the soft metal the blades are made of).  Fast forward to today and it finally dawned on me why recently the trimmer blades would get stuck despite spraying them periodically with "WD-40".  I got very suspicious today after noticing that the plastic WD40-branded trigger spray bottle I transferred "WD-40" out of a recently purchased gallon can (from HD) was emitting an emulsified, white, goopy material.  The more I shook it, the worse it got.  So...I  returned all of the material to the gallon container, shook it well, poured some back into the spray can and sprayed some "WD-40" on the blades and to my surprise the liquid beaded up like water!  I grabbed a small tin of water, squirted some liquid gunk out of the spray bottle and damn if it didn't create an "oil and water" appearance.  It just merged right in with the water.   NO WONDER I recently had issues with the hedge trimmer blade.

I found the receipt, went to HD and got a replacement gallon.  Came home, shook up the can, transferred some to the trigger spray bottle (after thoroughly cleaning out the gunk), and sprayed some on the blades.  What a difference.  Sigh.  Some low-life had taken the trouble to rip off HD for a few dollars by using up a gallon of WD-40 and filling it with water.  Screwed HD, and in the process screwed me, as it took nearly an hour to clean up the blade.  I hope karma wallops that person.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,576 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I once purchased 2 Gallons of oil from Walmart, went home to change my oil and found out someone returned their used motor oil in the new containers. Glad I caught it before poring it in.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Dang.  Lucky you caught it.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,960 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I wish I could say it shocks me the degree to which some people go to be scumbags. If they would put that much effort into doing something productive they might actually get somewhere in life.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,554 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Wow. But doesn't surprise me...
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,492 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Dave, these days, most if not all products have a secure cap on them to prevent tampering.  So if the seal between the cap and the seal was broken, then you would know it was tampered with.  So my question is - was the cap from your purchase look like the picture below (brand new container), or did you not remember?

If the cap was still "in tact" then how in the world did someone managed to get the WD-40 out of the gallon container, without "breaking" the seal?  In either case, it sucks that people would go out of their way to "cheat" like this.

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I can't remember, but I made sure that the one I picked up days ago had the metal tamper-proof cap under the red cap.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,492 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The last time I was at HD, one of the employees was telling me how HD has a policy that "prevents" their employees from stopping any customers from walking out with product(s) in their hands.  In other words, the employees can not stop anyone to ask for their receipt.  No wonder people are stealing from them "left and right?"
(Edited)
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

the liability for an injury in a chase is way more then the product.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,912 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Same for nearly all retailers. Some have dedicated well-trained loss prevention employees, others don't even have people authorized to stop theft, just remotely-monitored cameras catch it.

Many stores work very closely with local police though. Don't be surprised if a cop just happens to be ready and waiting in the parking lot. But maybe not for a can of WD-40.
(Edited)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I won't say that I am shocked after my experience with HD and my chainsaw.  But then again, I have seen it at multiple stores where people return goods that have clearly been used and just want their money back.  It goes to show you need to inspect your products before you leave the store.
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

satisfaction guarantee is a good thing. If EGO didn't live up to the hype when I bought into it the first month they were released I sure as heck would have brought it back. However the retailer must make sure to mark it correctly at a discount for the next customer if they are going to resell it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,394 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This! Too often I see items that have been taped up or stapled back into their packaging and put back on the shelf as new. Hmm... which one will I choose, the new one or the one with a mysterious past?