I cut at slowest speed, sharpen the blade still tears grass

• Problem
  • Updated 6 days ago
  • In Progress
Hey everyone I am still having issues with tearing the grass. I forgot to put I cut on 4 hight cutting 1/3 blade. 2 times a week on dry grass. Any suggestions would be awesome. I love my EGO just seeing if I can get a cleaner cut.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 2,294 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 54,426 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Wondering what type of grass you have? Could just be the wrong type of grass for that blade especially since you say you've sharpened it. The blades are a bit on the soft side.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Yea it’s Fescue, I’ll try to take a picture on my next day off
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Fascinating. I have fescue and clover. Except for the very infrequent torn blade of grass, mine cuts it very well.
(Edited)
Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Try cutting at a faster pace instead of a slow pace and see what happens. Is the blade tightly attached properly? If not the blade won’t move at the proper RPMs. To slow will burn the grass as well. Wonder if that’s the issue or if it’s different
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Photo of Matthew

Matthew

It’s hard to get a pic. Just wanted to see what you all thought
Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

Not sure.... Has the blade been sharpened at a 35 to 45 degree angle? Are you sure the blade is on properly and tightened properly so it runs at normal RPM speeds? Might want to buy the high lift blade and replace the standard blade. Standard blade is very very crappy for me and I’m replacing it with the high lift blade once it delivers to me. I could see the crappy standard blade doing this. If it doesn’t lift the grass blades straight up and the grass is a little sideways I could see it tearing the grass tops. High lift blade would solve that if that’s the problem. Also there is such a thing as mowing at to slow of a pace which I do believe if you are mowing at the slowest self propel pace possible on the ego it could burn the tips of the grass like your pictures show. The blade at normal RPM and a slow moving pace will hit the same spot tons and tons of times which burns the grass tips. You never want a mower blade turning at full speed and not be moving on grass with any mower. Are you moving slow because the mower doesn’t cut all the grass evenly when moving at a faster pace? If that’s the case then from what I’m reading you need to replace the blade with the high lift blade. I just about returned the mower because the standard blade has a horrible cut quality.
Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

Forgot to mention this. Make sure you water your lawn a bit right after you mow. Mowing is hard on the grass. Give it a little water after to help the grass from the damage of mowing.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Thanks, yea I went to HD to check both sharp at the right angle and right fit. I was doing speed at medium and everyone said try going slower. That’s only reason I was on slowest speed just to try that. I was thinking hL blade but wasn’t sure. Also heard of alternating my mow which I haven’t started yet.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

I’ve been looking on line and found if you are cutting more than one third than it can cause tearing and stragglers . But I thought I was cutting one third so how do I know, that might be my problem. Any help on how to know would help thanks everyone.
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

I find not cutting off more than one inch at a time works well. One third seems kind of vague. One third of what? If the grass gets tall enough that you can't cut 1" or less, start at a highest setting and then do another pass at a lower setting. And I judge 1" by the length of the grass, not by the mower height setting. I use height setting 3 during the growing season and whatever that height of grass is, I just keep an eye on it that it doesn't get 1" taller before I mow again.
And, as always, a sharp blade is your best weapon for a clean cut.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Thanks Mike, yea I sharpen every other time I mow, only dry grass, on 3rd setting in Spring and 4th setting in summer. I try to cut once a week but I’m learning I might need to cut 2 times a week . I’ll try to do the 1” see if that helps, maybe 4 1st time then 3 second or 5 first time than 4 second time.
Thanks again for everyone’s help.
(Edited)