Second 575 unit potentially having problems.

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I am not happy.   If the neutral one is 0, the happy one is 3, and the angriest one is -3, I would be a -2 right now, I am not happy.  You guys are a good company, I know that, you go out of your way to help people who are having problems with your stuff out sometimes in ways you really do not even need to.  I say that as someone who has had two of your blowers quit working on me.  Back at around August and September of 2015, I had a 480 CFM unit quit functioning on me, and you promptly replaced it.  Recently, I had a 575 unit rather dramatically quit working on me, and like with the 480 unit, you quickly replaced that too.  I also had a conversation with an EGO rep about what exactly happened to the 575 unit, and one thing that came up was a minor issue with my 2.5Ah packs, one of which had lost around 20% of its capacity within a year, and the rep offered for a warranty claim on that, and chances are that would have led to the pack being replaced, but I turned down that offer as I didn't think it was necessary, but the fact that would do that at all says something about you guys as a company, and it was that very reason, me hearing about this kind of thing from Tools in Action that led me to even buy your stuff and it was how you handled these problems that led me to keep buying your stuff. I now have four working EGO blowers, two of which I use all of the time (the 575 and 530 units), I have two 2.5Ah packs, two 2Ah packs, four 210W chargers, a hedge trimmer and the 15 inch weed whacker (which I use without the guard).  I also have the two non-functional EGO blowers (disassembled and stored for future projects) for a total of six working and non-working EGO blowers.  

I really love your tools, but here is where I have a problem and what is really starting to bother me: Your warranty program pretty much involves me calling you and telling you about a tool that has quit working and you will ask me questions to help troubleshoot the problem and for proof of purchase, and I will describe exactly what happened preceding the tool's failure and what happens when I try to operate it further.  Then, if you deem it necessary, you'll replace the failed unit as you did in my case with the 575 unit and in my case with the 480 unit.  You did not even ask me to send you the failed unit, which was very convenient for me and is one of the reasons I like you so much and why a bunch of reviewers on Home Depot like you so much and it is one of the reasons why Tools in Action likes you so much.  There is a trade-off with doing the warranty like that: someone can easily lie to you about a tool failing and try to trick you into sending you a new tool, in effect, stealing a tool from you.  I don't know whether you guys or the guys at the top floor of the building so to speak decided that that was an acceptable trade-off or not, and I don't know how many people would be mean enough to actually do that, but it causes me a problem, and that is that I do not know just how many tool failures you get reports of, so I don't know if I'm going to get accused of that or not, but I do worry a bit about that considering that both of my 575 units sometimes made a loud clicking sound while operating, usually while I'm changing the pressure I'm putting on the variable-speed trigger.  This loud click I can feel in my hand.  I felt this exact click at the moment my first 575 unit catastrophically failed.  I am concerned that the same thing is going to happen to my new 575 unit, as it periodically makes that same loud clicking sound, it is just a single click.  Also, my 2.5Ah packs are not handling the current of my 575 unit and are barely handling the current from my 530 unit, and the packs are now starting to act up on the charger.  It is becoming an issue to me.  Now the batteries just might not me being pushed hard enough on the chargers, but only the 2.5s are acting up on the chargers, sometimes, I'll return from working on a lawn to discover the red light on the charger flashing, then I'll pull the battery off the charger and putting it sternly back on, making sure it connects well to the charger.  These problems are really starting to annoy me, not to the point of stopping me from buying the backpack blower with 7.5Ah battery and rapid charger, and the 7.5Ah pack I know will handle the high current better, but it is really becoming a nuisance. 

This is the public version of this post, which is meant to get the thoughts of you guys, the members of this forum.  What do you think about EGO's warranty policy?  Do you share my concerns?  How many of you have had EGO stuff quit working?
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 12,792 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
  • Not happy

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 12,792 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Here are my thoughts on the warranty policy: it is convenient, and I have told everybody how you handle tool failures, and I have got a lot of positive feedback from people who have tried out EGO stuff, many of whom I allowed to briefly use my EGO stuff to really experience just how effective they are, and I have told them how you handle tool failures and how quickly you guys replaced my tools, and a lot of the people who heard that were pleasantly surprised.  That is also the thing that led me to buy EGO stuff in the first place and to keep buying EGO stuff as I said.  It helps EGO's reputation quite a bit, and probably offsets any losses EGO may suffer out of that kind of tool theft. 

I also want suggestions from you guys as far as countermeasures for this kind of theft go.

Another idea that I wish to present here is a DIY tool servicing instruction manual, which would help out quite a bit as far as repair shops go, it would tell someone everything he or she needs to know to troubleshoot and repair non-functioning EGO products.  There would be a repair manual for each tool.  This manual could and probably should stand in place of the warranty, for once the tool has been disassembled by just some guy who bought it from Home Depot or something, the warranty would naturally be voided.  Also, there should be a parts retailer, EGO circuit boards, motor controllers, controller attachments like the variable-speed trigger button, EGO EDFs (or even high-grade EDFs for EGO products as an upgrade), brushed and brushless motors, etc.  Upgrade parts would also be nice, more powerful motors (or entire kits such as upgrade motor, controller, and all other parts that would be needed)  specifically designed for EGO tools. Basically an outlet selling everything someone would need to open an EGO repair shop, which would be a nice addition to a Home Depot.  That outlet would also be a good outlet for someone like me who is really gravitating to not using the warranty at all and instead servicing my tools myself.  It would be good to get a new kit of internal parts for a 575 unit so I can get my old one working again.  

With this posted, my mood has improved significantly, but these little tool issues are a nuisance.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.