How old is the EGO company?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I find it important to know how long a company has been around before purchasing a line of tools that will require me to purchase more of your products in the future (more batteries) in order for them to continue to operate. In order to confidently do this, I need some background on EGO as a company. How long have they been around? Are they a subsidiary of any larger company? While I like the idea of rechargeable mowers and yard tools, a gas mower will go for years and years after the manufacturer is no longer around. If EGOes under in the next 3-5 years and I need new batteries, I now have $1k worth of plastic that does me nothing. Can you address these concerns please?
Photo of Justin Retzlaff

Justin Retzlaff

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Frank

Frank

• 654 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
they're a brand new company that is a subsidiary of a well established company... you probably ought to wait five or ten more years before plunking down your hard earned cash.
Photo of Justin Retzlaff

Justin Retzlaff

Who is the well established company?
Photo of Frank

Frank

• 654 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Chevron.  
(Edited)
Photo of Justin Retzlaff

Justin Retzlaff

Nice edit, smart a$$.  And yes, I do know how to use Google.  You're right, how dare I ask in this forum... not like it's applicable content... 
Photo of Justin Retzlaff

Justin Retzlaff

Btw, it's Chervon... Not Chevron... You right, Google is a great tool.  Speaking of tools...
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Jason, Thanks for your question. EGO is a new 56 Volt Lawn and Garden Equipment brand from Chervon. Chervon is a manufacturer with 20 years’ experience in the power tool industry-- both corded and cordless-- and is one of the top 10 manufacturers of power tools in the world. Among its customers are global professional brands and leading home improvement retailers. So, while the brand is new, our design, engineering and manufacturing capabilities are not. We hope that this information, along with our industry-leading warranty, will give you the confidence to try our products.

(Edited)
Photo of JAS

JAS

• 1,472 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
JR, as stated, the mother company is Chervon of China. The "New" Craftsman line Sears put on their pegs and shelf's to gain more profit margins are made in China by Chervon. This has been Sears' downfall, the quality went way down, so us tech's started buying our tools elsewhere to get the quality needed.

Lowes is having the same quality issues with their Kobalt power tool line, also made by Chervon.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Interesting thread. I didn't know Chervon makes Kobalt and Craftsman too. By the way, there are quite a few places that will rebuild a L-Ion battery pack. From what I hear it's not a difficult issue. I've heard they can replace them with even higher mah / quality batteries so you get the upgrade. Does anyone know about this?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,358 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

I've tried it with my DeWALT battery packs at Batteries Plus store.  Those batteries they use NEVER live up to the OEM.  Maybe other people have better results.  They are supposed to be identical or better than OEM.  Even generic laptop batteries with high mah never live up to their promise and burn out quickly.

EGO Has a great battery warranty.  If they don't skimp out and shorten it, I'll only by EGO direct replacements.  BTW, EGO has circuitry inside the battery and the tool that communicate with each other, if you use generics, not sure what the results would be.

Photo of Gary

Gary

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Good to know. Thanks.
Photo of John

John

• 62 Points
Is Chervon the manufacturer of the batteries too?
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Chervon constructs the battery packs using proprietary materials and electronics. The individual batteries within the 56 Volt battery packs are manufactured by a very reliable battery manufacturer.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,358 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Quite honestly, you hear from people (most of the time) who have problems.  From what I've observed, the track record of the EGO Tools and Batteries has been quite good.  I'm a lucky one, I have every tool and 4 batteries.  5 months of heavy use and not one issue. 
Photo of Michele McDermottN

Michele McDermottN

• 60 Points
So is it correct to assume that both the mower housing and engine and the battery pack are manufactured in China?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes, just like most consumer goods as well as competing OPE products from other companies.

Country of manufacture has very little to do with quality anymore. Some of the most highly regarded consumer products come from China. Like pretty much everything made by Apple.
Photo of Brandi

Brandi

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I am a Home Depot employee and a customer has inquired as to who the manufacturer....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.