How do I clean the EGO Power+ mower?

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
If you clean your mower after each use, the cleaning is easy, especially because you can easily tip the mower onto its side to access the underside of the deck. First remove the safety key and the battery. Wipe the upper surfaces with a cloth, if needed. Tip the mower on its side and clean the underside of the deck with a bristle brush and/or cloth.  Do not use a wire brush.  Do not spray the underside of your EGO Power+ mower with water. If grass has built up over time, you may find that a curved plastic scraper, such as those used in the kitchen, is useful to help remove dried, built up grass.

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,708 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 49,424 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi all,

As with my other tools, I use my air compressor to clean the mower well, but careful not to blow dirt from the underside into the motor.  You can also use a damp cloth and a bucket of warm water (rinsing out the cloth and then squeezing out the excess water) to keep the outside looking nice.  As long as you don't use anything like a hose or harsh spray that can make its way into the motor or electronics, you should be good.

All the best!
Photo of Tony

Tony

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This thing is freaking  beautiful.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I use silicone spray to clean it, it looks like new and the plastic is easy to clean.  My mower basically still looks new.  Along with the fact it is electric, I have no worries about a gummed up carb from sitting all winter, or draining gas, buying expensive stabilizers.  Buying into the EGO system has saved me a lot of time and in the long term, money and aggravation.  I've compared them all, EGO is in my opinion, second to none with the products they carry.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,966 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I use the blower to clean the mower.  It makes sense! :)
Photo of Julio Villanueva

Julio Villanueva

• 1,840 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hmm... I used the hose :\
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 49,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
if it still worked, then you are ok  :)  Just don't use the hose in the future 
Photo of brinox

brinox

• 672 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
What's the reasoning for not using a hose on the underside of the deck?  Is the motor not enclosed enough to use it like that?  I'm bothered by a lawn tool that can't be hosed off, but that's because I grew up working on a golf course where we hosed everything off at the end of the day...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,312 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There's a hot air vent under the mower deck around the motor shaft. Everything in the motor is epoxy coated and there's air moving out of that vent in use, so mowing wet grass is not an issue. If someone was to spray water directly into that vent it could potentially get into the control electronics.
Photo of brinox

brinox

• 672 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the prompt reply.  This is good info for my lawn mowing habits =)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Any time!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 62,046 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The control electronics are all potted so they are not exposed to moisture. The motors Commutator and brushes are exposed and so are the motor bearings, but they are sealed. If water gets inside, i dont see any weep holes for the water to drain, so it will just evaporate out of there over time.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Says the guy who has taken them apart before... good info! :-)
Photo of Richard Price

Richard Price

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So does this mean I CAN clean under the mower with a hose or is it possible that water could ruin the mower's electronics? There seems to be contradictory info above.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 49,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It's well made, but I can see why EGO doesn't want people getting carried away with a hose.  I mean just look at the Darwin awards. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Richard, Ego advises against using water to clean the mower.
Photo of David

David

• 1,902 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Was at another hardware store; and since its that time of the year, all their lawnmowers were up front and center. Behold what I noticed immediately. 
 I noticed every single one of them lawnmowers, (regardless weather gas or electric/cordless)  had a water attachment on the deck for cleaning.
Maybe its time that Ego sealed the underside and joined the modern age? 
So much easier to hook up a hose, run the blade 20-30 seconds and done! 
That's one place were Ego does not excel- ease of cleaning.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Can't disagree there.
Photo of Steven Smith

Steven Smith

• 64 Points
Yes, love the mower.  Just the notion of having to clean it after each use , is a pain.  Nevertheless , I clean it every time.  Think I'll start using my silicone spray as a final wipe down. though.  Good tip.
Photo of Mike in Pitt

Mike in Pitt

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The hose connection is the one and only item on the list that made me stop and think before diving in and getting the Ego over another gas mower. Then again, my last two mowers rusted over time...this one likely will not.
Photo of Kenneth

Kenneth

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Cleaning the mower.

Can an air compressor or aerosol air such as used for electronics be used to clean the grass off the underneath side of the mower ?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 16,326 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
canned air isn't strong enough.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 49,262 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Sure it is, if you are a canned air salesman.  Could sell a few cases to clean the mower 1 time.  :)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 62,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just use the leaf blower. that and a piece of cardboard if it's caked on grass from the current mowing session and is really wet. It contours the deck and cleans it off in one swipe
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Just use compressed air. I drag my hose out and blast it with air. When it's not bad I just use my ego blower. I've also done unapproved things like carefully hose it off. I'm not gentle on it and it just keeps going.
(Edited)
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 674 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Ouuuhhh... and maybe EGO could come up with a battery powered air compressor. Would be nice to clean the mower, and many other tasks. Could become a good excuse to also finish my hardwood floor... 

Like, like, like... 

I am way too much into the EGO brand right now... not good for my wallet... 
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 60,972 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ridgid just released the first one I've ever seen. Dual batteries. But little tiny batteries compared to egos. The look cute compared to the ego batteries.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 156,706 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
A "Peak-Power" dual battery Ego compressor would be incredible!  Tools like these could really benefit from the larger Ego battery platform... a single 4Ah Ego battery has more stored energy than two 5Ah Ridgid batteries.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,366 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Mine no longer seems to need cleaning since i sprayed it with that liqiod film stuff from Lowes.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 4,466 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Whats it called?
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,366 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

It's called Fluid Film and I found it near all the tools at Lowes - and it works great!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluid-Film-11-75-oz-Fluid-Film-Rust-Corrosion-Preventive-Penetrant-Lubrican...

Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 2,462 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
A shop vac is another option for cleaning the mower and under deck.

I pre-treated my blade and under deck with WD40 Waterproof Silicone Spray and so far, it's worked great to keep grass from sticking.

Once I had to brush out the under deck when I mowed slightly damp grass one morning trying to beat the Summer heat and afternoon thunderstorms.

I love the Ego LM2101 Mower.   My grass has never looked better.
Photo of travis

travis

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
question for those who use fluid film. do you have to re-apply after every mow? I applied to a clean deck last week and it worked well preventing buildup after I mowed. After I mowed today, it was basically back to how it was before I ever used fluid film. Kind of a pain if you have to re-apply every time.
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 3,006 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I used WD40 waterproof to coat the under deck a couple of times.   Grass will still stick when wet, but I let it dry, brush it off with a broom or a long handle scrub brush, then wipe the under deck with the WD40 again.   Works pretty well.

Main problems with grass sticking occur with wet grass.   In the summer in FL, it's a problem waiting for the dew to dry, before it gets too hot to mow, and before the frequent afternoon/evening thundershowers.   We have humidity so thick here, you can almost swim through the air.   Our daughter calls NFL/SGA the Tropic of Humidity.   

Just don't hose down the under deck and cause rust or moisture to mess up the electronics!
Photo of Glenn Dubin

Glenn Dubin

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled What products are available and acceptable to apply to the underside of the deck ....

I have had the mower for 1yr now, but my grass really sticks to the underside of the deck.  Can I use silicone or some other coating to ease the regular clean up?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 49,262 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I've found that using a glove, get all of the bigger clumps removed, then dampen a rag with warm water, wring it out, then wipe the bottom of the deck clean.  Then lastly, spray a silicone spray on the bottom, don't spray near the motor or motor vent.  Just the plastic part of the deck.  Let it sit, then with some paper towels wipe it try.

Any good teflon or silicone spray will do.  It won't perform miracles, but it will help.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 52,552 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Those work well, as does paste car wax.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 4,506 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Is something like this the same as what bloomz recommended?  I dont have lowes near me (only  homedepot, reno depot, rona.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.water-resistant-silicone-lubricant.1000784379.html
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,862 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I think so!
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 3,006 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Has anyone tried Armorall?