HOW-TO: Rapid Reload Head (AH1500) CLEANING

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress

Problem Statement:
AH1500 Rapid Reload Head developed vibration after disassembly/cleaning/reassembly.

Having previously used the AH1500 Rapid Reload Head in wet and muddy conditions, I wanted to thoroughly clean the head, so I disassembled it.  After using it a couple different times, I noticed that the head was vibrating more than before.

Troubleshooting and Analysis:
To try and isolate the source of the vibration, I first tried the trimmer without any line installed, but the vibration was still there.  Next I removed the: Spool Retainer Assembly and spring (see figure 1); and when run (with the Spool Base and washer/nut), there was no vibration.  Next, I tried without the spring, but no difference.  At this point, I concluded that the vibration was coming from the Spool Retainer Assembly.

See Figure 2, upon disassembly of the Spool Retainer Assembly, I noticed a new groove/indentation in the Wire Holder.  When the Wire Holder is placed back into the Head Housing, there is a single groove that needs to line up.  If installed 180 degrees out, the assembly can be put back together, and you can tighten down the screws (not completely), and that is what caused the new notches to form. But the Wire Holder is sitting higher than normal.

Root Cause:
I did not review the manual prior to disassembly.  However, the manual does not contain specific details that would have drawn my attention to the nuance difference. Also, the tab and notch are hidden under the Location Housing, so you cannot visually verify correct assembly.

Ego Team, to prevent incorrect reassembly, please consider adding amplifying details to the manual.  Suggestion: (Step 8 of the AH1500 manual, reference 2), "If Spool Retainer Assembly is disassembled, during reassembly, ensure that the notch in the Wire Holder is correctly aligned with corresponding tab in the Head Housing".

(1) AH1500 product page:
(2) AH1500 manual:

Figure 1

Figure 2

Correct assembly pictured.  If incorrect, Wire Holder will sit up from the Head Housing; but it will be very difficult to verify as it could be off by only 1/32" - 1/8".

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 25,558 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 45,440 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
@(a)TypicalEngineer as you know, user feedback is always welcome and extremely valuable. I've sent this to our product development team for review. :-)