How to obtain EGO Power+ AL2450 trimmer line?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
How can I obtain EGO Power+ AL2450 trimmer line? The replacement line for my brand new ST1500SF is nowhere to be found. Amazon is out and doesn't know when it will be available. This item isn't even on Home Depot's website. Do I have to use a competitor's product?
Photo of Peter DeVries

Peter DeVries

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • worried that I made a bad choice with Ego

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Paul Simonds

Paul Simonds

• 376 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
any trimmer line will work i use ace hdw, 80,works fine
Photo of Peter DeVries

Peter DeVries

Thanks, Paul. Luckily there's an Ace right down the street.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
0.080" will work, but the standard line is 0.095"; smooth sometimes feeds better than twist (but I have used both successfully).
Photo of Peter DeVries

Peter DeVries

But the manufacturer of the string itself is inconsequential? Any brand will work?
(Edited)

(a)Typical Engineer

Yes, as Paul said above too, any brand will work.  Just like car tires, as long as the size is the one for your car, you're free to choose the cheaper or more expensive one, and which ever style matches your application (smooth or twist, or something else).
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

• 6,328 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The owners manual states this:

LINE REPLACEMENT

NOTICE: Always use the recommended nylon cutting line with a diameter that does not exceed 0.095 in. (2.4 mm). Using line other than that specified may cause the string trimmer to overheat or become damaged.

WARNING: Never use metal-reinforced line, wire, or rope, etc. These can break off and become dangerous projectiles. 

Of course the recommended line is going to be some Ego part number that you can't find anywhere.  As long as you buy quality nylon line, I think (but I do not warrant your machine) you will be fine.  Experience will dictate which brands hold up the best.  I got some Oregon Magnum Super Twist Gatorline coming in today from Amazon.  

There is another thread here where Echo Black Diamond was mentioned, and one member uses Husqvarna line.

(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This year I'm using the Husqvarna Titanium Force line with great success. Last ear I used Echo line and liked it except for the bright orange color.

In fact, I've preferred just about everything I've tried more than Ego's line, which I find to be too brittle.
Photo of Peter DeVries

Peter DeVries

Fantastic, thanks guys... Don't suppose you're interested in actually doing the trimming for me as well...?
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

OK, I just got my 1 pound donut of Oregon Magnum Gatorline, Supertwist.   I looked on the Oregon website for descriptions of this line.  Not much said, however under warnings they had this:

Important TrImmer Line InformatIon:
Any monofilament trimmer line can lose moisture over time or become brittle, especially if subjected to heat and sunlight. To reduce brittleness, Oregon® strongly recommends that line be submerged in water for 24 hours.

Really?  I never heard of that before.  So just put the whole donut into a bucket of water for 24 hours?  How often would one do that?   

(a)Typical Engineer

Or live in a place where the humidity is pretty much 75% all year round, and you won't have that problem.  In all seriousness if you have issues with the line being brittle, that's the solution; if it doesn't affect you, probably don't need to doing any soaking.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Western Pennsylvania is hardly a desert.  I store it in the basement so its somewhat damp.  I don't think I am going to worry about it.  Thanks for the reply.    
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

There is a bit of tutorial on line at this site that explains the different types:

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/diy/choosing-the-best-trimmer-line-for-you/