How to charge the batteries properly?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Hi,
I have a general question regarding charging the batteries, in my case they are :

- EGO 56V 7.5Ah Battery
- 2.5Ah Batery

My question is, if I charge them 100% and leave them for 2-3 weeks (not on the charger), am I able to then just go ahead and use them when needed or I need to charge them again on the day of the use to get the fully charged battery, given it was charged 2-3 weeks ago?  
Photo of Shawn T

Shawn T

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
They'll still be fully charged. The self-discharge function doesn't kick in for 30 days.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I rotate (3) 5.0 Ah, (1) 7.5 Ah and (1) 2.5 Ah batteries depending upon the tool or task. I run them until the red comes on the gauge, fully charge on one of 3 chargers, put back into rotation on the shelf. None sits longer than 30 days before used. Seems to be good methodology.
Photo of Rick Fortson

Rick Fortson

• 784 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
My advise is to read the instructions and leave them on the charger.
I have been using L ion batteries (Dewalt) for years snd have always kept them on charger because the chargers are SMART and will tune the battery after it is charged.
It’s always worked for me keeping L ion batteries in tip top shape going on 15 years.
Only time will tell if these Ego batteries and chargers will be equally as good.— I think so.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,112 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, as I understand it, the circuitry for the protection mode is in the battery, not the charger, so they can sit off the charger. Been working fine for us, anyway.

William E Hanson

Impractical unless you have a separate charger for every battery you happen to have. Yes, the chargers are smart, but so are the batteries.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Battery experts will say keep them around 40% charged.
I say it doesn't matter because I'm on year 5 of my original 4ah
and year 4 on a 4ah battery and they still keeping up with the six 5ah batteries I have. These batteries seem to self prolong their lives. At this rate I expect 7 years from these, and that's with alot of unauthorized abuse too.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,112 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Yep. That is the gaping difference between standard "dumb" lithium batteries and Egos.

William E Hanson

Jacob, good to hear since I'm on my 2nd season and had added many tools this year. I was fed up with other brands with old technology batteries that failed quickly.
Photo of Shawn T

Shawn T

Perfect, thanks everyone. That really helps.

Photo of Shawn T

Shawn T

One more question related to charging 2.5Ah Batery: Am I able to use the EGO 56V Li-Ion 30 Minute Rapid Charger to charge my 2.5Ah Batery? I believe EGO says I can, but just want to confirm here.

Thanks
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes. Everything is compatible on all their products batteries, chargers, tools