How nice would it be...

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
...to walk into your local Home Depot and see this:

along with a full compliment of parts and accessories (and bare tools!) available for purchase?

I almost have to apologize for posting this, but after seeing this picture it seems such a waste that such nice looking retail packaging is implemented on an item only available on-line! I can't help but think the retail experience buying Ego products would be so much more satisfying knowing that all the parts and support you need are available down the street.

Don't get me wrong, Ego's customer support and community site set the standard as far as I'm aware, but I can't help but think about how many people would be put off by seeing what they want in store and then being told they have to go home and order it on line to get it.

If that's the case, how about adopting a "Tesla" sales model where Ego has "Experience Centers" set up in malls where people can play around with the tools, choose options etc. and then be sent home with a quotation package and reference number that they use to place their order on line?

Here's hoping for an ever-evolving sales strategy from Ego, and (hopefully) their future sales partners. :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
  • wishful...

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Blue, we actually do sell the spare batteries packaged as you see here in select stores right now.  Unfortunately, we aren't able to get them in all stores but we're working on it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Thanks Jennifer. But, if that's the case why does HD's website state specifically they are not sold in stores?

Shouldn't it say "For sale in select locations."?
(Edited)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Blue, that's a great point.  They are definitely sold in select stores in the US but the availability changes all the time so Home Depot changes the "Online Only" text occasionally as well.  We're really sorry for the inconvenience.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

No problem Jen, I don't hold you responsible for any of this! :-)
Photo of Jean-Guy Lepage

Jean-Guy Lepage

• 826 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Hi Blue Angel,

I Bring my three EGO tools in a event of electric cars, two weeks ago, and people love the idea to see the product live :-)

I'll make a little demonstration of the power of the Tools.

They very appreciate

Photo of Jean-Guy Lepage

Jean-Guy Lepage

One of the electric cars blog in Québec, compare the EGO mower to the Tesla car.

http://www.aveq.ca/actualiteacutes/la-tesla-des-tondeuses-a-gazon-sans-fil-essai-de-la-ego-power-56-...

You can translate the page :-)

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I was going to ask you where you got that picture!

Je parle un peu le Francais, mais pas beaucoup... je vais traduir alors que je ne manque pas trop de details. :-)

Great idea bringing your Ego tools to electric car rallies, too!
Photo of Jean-Guy Lepage

Jean-Guy Lepage

Thanks Blue,

I take the picture on http://www.aveq.ca/actualiteacutes/la-tesla-des-tondeuses-a-gazon-sans-fil-essai-de-la-ego-power-56-...

for the translation, you can use Google translate.

Moi je parle un peu anglais, mais pas beaucoup :-)

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It's hard to imagine how you could need a battery on the spot and not have time to wait a few days. Since batteries come with all of the tools sold in store, I have to think batteries would be EXTREMELY slow velocity SKUs.

I am just glad to know that they have blades in stock, and I'm sure anyone with a trimmer is glad they keep heads in stock. Those are the kind of things you really don't want to wait around for if you need a replacement halfway though the job.
Photo of Steve Warren

Steve Warren

• 934 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
They have the 2.0ah battery at the Oswego, IL Home Depot. It's a shame though that HD online price for 7.5ah battery is $75 more than in-store Walmart price.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The HD price is actually only about $40 more than the Walmart price, which is actually Zoro selling through Walmart:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Volt-...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EGO-POWER-P...

Zoro has an annual sale that includes Ego equipment, during which that battery is a pretty reasonable price. Several member here have taken advantage of that deal.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Why does Home Depot have to suck?  :-/  Even Zoro has it cheaper.