How long is the In-Store Contract with Home Depot?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

Near ready to replace nearly all of our outdoor equipment, Ego 20" Mower, 15" Trimmer, hedger and blower.

In a post on this forum (I can't find it now), there was mention of a Exclusive HD Ego contract for 2 years.

When in one store recently, it seems the lawn and garden sales person was pushing the new Echo 58v line.. big End Cap Display for it.

I've seen the Echo 58v and Ego 56v battery tear down youtube videos.  I've borrowed a Ryobi 40v trimmer last year and experienced shutdowns from what I had gathered was a thermal shutdown.. was frustrating.   I read about the Ryobi / Echo partnership. One of the reasons I want to go with Ego.

It just seems lately there is less and less Ego products in store at two of my local HD stores.  There had been more in the past.

I just spoke to one HD Home and Garden person today over the phone and she said that at the recent Road Show, it was stated that sales were good and that the in store Ego contract was for 5 years (4 more years?)?

It would be frustrating to invest in a line only to have it disappear locally.  I'm not sure that is happening.

Will HD continue to have Ego products for the next 1-5 years?

What is the HD in store contract length?

Why don't any of the stores carry the 15" Trimmer?

Why isn't Ego pushed in store when it's clear where the superior battery technology is?
Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

• 478 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I went into HD and played dumb, asking about cordless mowers. The sales guy knew more about the Echo, but that's not saying much. I asked about storage and he said they both store upright, then I got him to help me try it out... he was amazed how much easier the Ego was to fold up and store, which told me he hadn't tried it before!

In my opinion, the easy storage is probably one of the biggest advantages of the Ego mower, especially for those who value the space in their garage or shed. The fact the batteries and chargers are so advanced is icing on the cake, and gives me confidence they will last.

Where did you see that video? Do you have a link?
Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

You bet, everyone looking at these brands should see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdBS9oFUXc

Would be great to see some battery tear downs of the other brands
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nice!  Ego needs to have one of those video kiosks playing stuff like that in front of their equipment displays at HD!
Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

Well, not sure HD would want that.. they do seem to put priority on Ryobi and Echo (I believe they are Echo's biggest retail channel?)

But, Ego should have a video like that (Ego battery tear down vs other) on their website... just a lot clearer vs the marketing mumbo jumbo
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

They may have an 'in store' contract but 75% of the Ego stuff isn't actually in the store.  That's if you don't run across one of the stores that doesn't carry the stuff at all.

Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

Storage is great, not a top 3 reason for me.. but dealing with that Ryobi 40v Trimmer shutting down three times on me was very frustrating...  I had to let it cool for 5-10 mins each time.  Performance was great, though it bogged down and got long grass wound up and caught in the spool a couple times.. I had to adjust my method a bit...

From a video I saw (titled Farm Grass?), the Ego 15" trimmer plowed right through some tall thick grass.

It would be equally frustrating to invest in a line that disappears locally.
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

I've owned a Ryobi 40v trimmer for about 3 years and it has never shut down on me.  I've also read about those shutdowns but never had one.  The trimmer still works to this day eventhough the variable speed trigger is broken.
Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

Isn't the warrant 5 years (with Registration)?  Why  not get that trigger fixed?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,458 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Maybe his wife threw it at him and told him to get the lawn work done.  I'm not sure that is covered.  Or, like me, I get to a point with a tool when it hits a certain age that I would just assume retire it.  
Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

I really did like the balance and weight of the Ryboi, but that shutdown issue and it did get bogged down some times.  Replacing a Gas trimmer, would like to match performance on the full/tall stuff on 2 acre property.

I wish HD stores had the 15" trimmer in stock, I don't know how it feels, how the balance and weight is.  I was debating to get the Mower with 4Ah battery and all the other items without batter/charger... not sure if the 4Ah battery on the 15" trimmer would be cumbersome... Perhaps for only $80 more (15" trimmer with 2Ah battery / Charger vs w/o) is the better option to have two batteries and two charges (though I'd only use the Rapid Charger).

My luck, Ego will start packaging the new 2.5Ah battery with the trimmer soon (and perhaps with the hedge trimmer and blower as well).  I believe it's a better match with what the other competing bundles out there.  Of course, there was the (leaked?) image of the Mower with 7Ah Battery specs..

I also have a Lowes 10% off coupon that HD will match (at least I have done that before in store and recently verified it for the mower purchase at one of my local HD stores) and not sure how to use that for online purchases (since the 15" trimmer is not available in store).  I do have a $10 off HD lawn and garden coupon that I can use online for the trimmer.

Decisions, Decisions....
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

I have retired it. Has the Ego 15" trimmer. It's very powerful. Too powerful at times. Not a good edging tool. I returned it and went with the Worx 56 volt trimmer. Less power than Ego but allows a lot more control. I love that it has a set of wheels for easy edging.

The wife probably did want to throw it at me. She hated the number of Amazon boxes in the garage. I'll break them down one of these days. No time now...it's mowing season.
(Edited)
Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

Is that a Ryobi trimmer that has the motor at the ground end?

The Ryobi 40v trimmer I had used last year was the attachment capable model with the motor on the top end next to the battery.  That is the type of trimmer I want.

I assume the Ego 15" 56v trimmer has the motor next to the battery (at least I hope so) and the Ego 12" 56v has the motor at the ground.  Can someone confirm?

Where is the motor on your Worx model?

I'd like to see a battery tear down video of the Worx 56v.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I also found that the in store person that was helping me was less than knowledgeable about the Ego line and I'm glad I did some research before going into the store. They were just happy to see me put the mower, string trimmer, and blower on a cart and head to the cashier!
Photo of Rob

Rob

I don't believe they sell that many of them per store.  I have about 4 Home Depot stores in my area that I go to at least once a week.  I bought my Ego Mower back in September.  It was about a month ago before I saw another person buy one.  In the stores that sell them, they always have at least 4 in stock and when you ask about them, no one really knows anything.

They will even tell you that they've never personally sold one.  A huge problem is that people are used to the tried and true gas mower.  Throwing a price tag of $500 at them isn't going to cut it if they can get a great mower like a Honda for less. 

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Meanwhile, the HD where I bought my mower went from having nine in stock to four in a 12-hour period. I bought it online for in-store pickup just in case they sold out. The stock was replenished within a couple of days, but the store still seems to sell a lot of them.

I agree that employees aren't very knowledgeable about EGO products. I went back for the 12-inch weed trimmer and the employee swore up one side and down the other that the store didn't carry EGO trimmers. He was leaning against the floor model and standing in front of the shelf holding them at the time. 
Photo of Jack

Jack

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
They took the EGO mowers from my HD store because, the clerk told me, they didn't sell enough.
HD staff not very knowledgeable about EGO.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Jack, your comment worries me a little and I would be interested in some feedback from Jennifer or Denise regarding the length of contract. Especially up here in Canada the products and accessories seem to be hit and miss which does concern me.
Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

that is why I started this Thread... I was hoping someone from Ego would chime in about the relationship / contract term.

I'm concerned but the Company behind Ego is a big one... 
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

RoboMO,

I'm sure there is more small print in that contract than a team of lawyers can properly decipher.  They probably can't say much.  Also, if you think about it, how many people would wait to purchase it if they knew a date.  Retail is a nasty, cut throat business.

Chervon isn't going anywhere and could back up anything EGO does 1000x over.  I'm not worried about EGO.  As long as they prove to their parent company that they are profitable and that Chervon needs to be in this marketplace, then they will just grow.

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Ok, I'll spill some of my feelings.  Home Depot sort of sucks.  I get poor service, and I know it is because the management treats the floor employees like dirt.  Maybe it's our Home Depot.  We have a Lowes across the street, more help, easier to find things, and at least they smile. 

My favorite store is Amazon, I make my choice and don't have to wait in line  :)

Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

Amazon is taking over for many items we all buy and want, been doing a great job over the years getting their infrastructure in place.. We are Prime as well.  Not always the best price.

We like Costco as well, I love their Return Policy so certain items are purchased from Costco.. I'll be returning some outdoor solar led lights and a frying pan (from 15 months ago) that hasn't met our expectations..

Would love to buy our lawn equipment from Costco as well, they just don't have much selection when it comes to the Lithium models.  Perhaps their return policy is a factor.

I don't see buying Appliances from Amazon anytime soon, but that my change one day as well.. they really are taking over IMO and their customer service is top notch (as is Costco's).

I always check Amazon / Costco availability and pricing.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

My thoughts exactly Rob.  Costco is absolutely the best.  not the most convenient for me, but their policies are the best, bar none.  Amazon's prime customer service is also tops. If you ever have to call, make sure and immediately say you want the USA call center, otherwise you will not have a good experience  :)
Photo of James

James

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm glad I did my own research before going to pick up my EGO mower about a month ago.  The HD guy in the lawn department tried to be very helpful, but he just didn't know much about the EGO line.  I was teaching him about them!  He kept looking up info on the mower from the HD website on his smartphone.  Then, he couldn't wait to show me the new ECHO end cap display.  

So, I tend to agree, based on my experience, HD is not EGO's best marketer.
Photo of Rob

Rob

You should have seen the poor guy at Lowe's when I questioned him on volts and amp hours on the 80 volt Kobalt mower....Lost.
Photo of Marc Washburn

Marc Washburn

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
After much research, I just purchased the EGO Mower and used my Corporate Amex points which translate point for penny with a Home Depot Gift card which is fantastic.  It was like getting the mower for free.

I will say after picking the mower up, that how Home Depot treats the EGO line of products is downright shameful. 

I facilitated the purchase online and a quick look-up of Tampa Bay area Home Depot stores showed that six of the nearest locations had only one EGO mower in stock each (one store had two but it wasn't the closest one). 

I initially thought: 'My god, all these great reviews of this product must mean they are having trouble keeping them in stock, so the stores with only one EGO mower on hand must be the floor model that's left.

WRONG!

I went ahead and ordered it online from the nearest location that showed only 1 in stock and when I showed up at Home Depot to pick it up,  they fork-lifted down a VERY dusty and forgotten box from high up on the top warehouse shelf.

There was NO floor model, and the only other EGO product at Home Depot was the 12" trimmer which was shamefully hidden in the back corner of the string trimmer aisle.  The only thing missing was a dunce cap on the trimmer :-(.

There were no other EGO products there, no literature, no spare batteries, no blower no chainsaw, not hedger...it was like EGO didn't even exist there.

Even worse, on the way out the door, a Home Depot employee started making fun of the 'electric mower', going on and on how he could NEVER not use a gasoline engine for mowing HIS lawn.

I tried my best to inform him of all the great YouTube reviews, and the benefits of electric vs dirty and hard to maintain combustion engines...he would have nothing of it.

I hope EGO can either get out of this terrible Home Depot exclusive contract and find other distribution channels (Lowes?), or maybe get Home Depot to carry their products on an end cap to highlight it, like they do the Echo line, or the Nest thermostats etc.

its just sad.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Wow... could a shopping experience get any worse than that?

Thanks for sharing, and totally agree!
Photo of Rob

Rob

I believe Ego would get an end cap if they paid Home Depot for the space. I know from experience tat the mower and blower are great oroducts but if Ego doesn't find a better partner and insist on better service for their line, it's not going to be around in a couple years. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with money.
Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

Well, I just took the steps to became a member in the Ego Family... I spent (from) most of May researching options replacing our equipment.

I initiated a Live Chat at HD's website asking about using a 10% off Lowes coupons (which I knew I could use in a HD Store) and low and behold, no issue as long as an item was not already on sale.  That eliminated the $129 Ego 15" Trimmer w/o battery and charger option.

I had already decided that I would get one 2Ah battery with standard charger and the mower with 4Ah Battery and Rapid Charger, so I ordered the 15" trimmer (bundle) tonight.  Discount taken out.

I'll be able to use the coupon for the Mower in Store and blower and hedge trimmer (w/o battery / charger) online next.  If any issues, I have 2 other coupons.

Can't wait to put the trimmer to the test, I left a area untouched from last year and our gas trimmer.  It's thick and tall.

We actually have a rider (last one not that old) since we have a large property, I use that.

I've had a Toro Battery mower since 1998, subsidized at that time from the City.. I think I paid $80 for it if I remember correctly.  It was been great ever since (for our use, see below), replaced the 4 batteries probably 3 times since I've owned it. 

I don't use it, but my parents who are retired on our property in the Auxiliary house (what some would call the guest house) do.. they love it.  They like the area around them mowed more often than I mow the entire property.

It's time to replace the Toro's batteries again.  That won't happen, they will be using a new 56v mower soon (and I will if needed for Rider backup).  The Ego mower is a bit larger than the old Toro.

90 days to check it out
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

Welcome to the Family!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ditto - I think your going to have some parents who are happy to mow!
Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

I'm sure you know how it goes, new tool, have to play.. I mean work... once I get the mower I'll be using that myself initially, I'm curious about how much run-time I'll get (and I want to Log it) and how much of our property I can cut in one go.

I see posts here about some owners getting less run-time after a year, chatter about proper storage etc.  I'm not going to do anything special on storage, I'll do the same as I have done with all my lawn equipment and other tools.

I'm going to wait for the trimmer and give it a good workout here before purchasing the mower, blower and hedger trimmer.  Maybe I'll be lucky and Ego will release the mower soon with the 7.5Ah battery bundled for $549.. I'd jump on that.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.